“Security warning”

Solved
Hello,

I have a red round icon with a yellow exclamation point that has appeared next to my PC's clock.
It says: "Security warning: your computer may be infected with harmful or unwanted software"

I don't dare click on it.
The information I find is in English, but I'm not fluent enough to understand it well.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

29 answers

  1. Hi everyone, after trying several ways to remove this "virus" without success, I found a simple and effective method accessible to everyone. It involves performing a system restore using Windows, in the system tools through the start menu.
    0
    1. Hi everyone!!

      I don't know if someone could help me! I've read everything on the forum about the "security warning" topic and I have the same problem. An icon next to the time has appeared (red circle with an exclamation mark inside).

      So, I've tried several software, it detects spywares that I delete but the same icon is still there. I even tried the technique with smitfraudFix.

      Thanks in advance for the help!!
      0
      1. I unchecked it, but upon restarting, it didn't want to finish booting up, and I had to put that famous line back...
        0
        1. Contributor
          Re Gribouille,

          So, is it moving forward? ;)

          See you!
          0
          1. start
            run
            msconfig
            uncheck the problematic line
            0
            1. No more icon, but now I get a message saying that this infamous file is missing at every restart.
              I checked on a friend's PC to see if I could borrow it, but it doesn't exist....
              0
              1. I followed your procedure, and upon restarting, the icon did not reappear!
                Thank you very much!!!
                0
                1. Contributor
                  I think we can take it out.

                  And I advise you to use IE just for the duration of the scan.

                  And how do you handle updates and other online scans without using IE then?
                  0
                  1. Yes, sorry, I can do 1/
                    (not this morning...)
                    But I found the scan results not very convincing... Do you think we can remove it? Even if only 2 people found that this file was strange?

                    I'm using Mozilla Firefox.
                    0
                    1. Contributor
                      So what? You can still do the 1/, right?

                      Well, if you want to keep your infections, do as you wish...

                      But I'm a bit surprised anyway:

                      How do you manage updates and various online scans without using IE? (I guess it's a philosophical question, with no answer. Or rather, with an implied answer, lol)

                      See you!
                      0
                      1. The problem is that I don't use IE, and I really don't want to use it...
                        0
                        1. Contributor
                          Hi,

                          It's time to put an end to this thing.

                          1/ - Download Pocket Killbox here:
                          http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.exe
                          Disconnect from the internet.

                          Double click on killbox.exe (Pocket Killbox)

                          - Check: "Delete on reboot"
                          - In "Full Path of File to Delete"
                          copy and paste this:

                          C:\WINDOWS\system32\drvmam.dll

                          - click on the white cross on the red background.
                          - a window will pop up for confirmation: click "YES".
                          - a second window will ask if you want to reboot: click "YES".

                          Let the PC restart.
                          If you see the following message: "pending file rename operations registry data has been removed by external process.", ignore it and restart your PC manually.
                          In image: http://tinypic.com/images/goodbye.jpg

                          2/ Scan your PC with this online antivirus (only under IE):
                          http://www.bitdefender.fr/scan8/ie.html
                          Click "I accept" then also accept the ActiveX blocked by the SP2 anti-popup bar (it will flash at the top).
                          Then, click "Click here to scan".
                          Wait until the end of the scan...
                          Copy/paste the entire report on the forum.

                          See you later.
                          0
                          1. SORRY!
                            I just understood...

                            I wanted to do it once and it caused me so many problems that I gave up! Moreover, this PC is not connected to the internet...

                            I would like to understand where this red icon with a yellow exclamation point comes from!!
                            0
                            1. I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by:
                              <10> "Security Warning"
                              0
                              1. Hi,

                                Did you do the <10>???

                                Bizz Kritopher

                                --
                                Don't get upset, stay as quiet as a fish, and
                                pet the dog the right way!
                                0
                                1. Hello,

                                  Here is the Virustotal report: (not very conclusive)
                                  Antivirus Version Update Result
                                  AntiVir 7.2.0.37 11.03.2006 no virus found
                                  Authentium 4.93.8 11.05.2006 no virus found
                                  Avast 4.7.892.0 11.03.2006 no virus found
                                  AVG 386 11.04.2006 no virus found
                                  BitDefender 7.2 11.05.2006 no virus found
                                  CAT-QuickHeal 8.00 11.04.2006 no virus found
                                  ClamAV devel-20060426 11.05.2006 no virus found
                                  DrWeb 4.33 11.05.2006 BACKDOOR.Trojan
                                  eTrust-InoculateIT 23.73.45 11.03.2006 no virus found
                                  eTrust-Vet 30.3.3176 11.03.2006 no virus found
                                  Ewido 4.0 11.05.2006 no virus found
                                  Fortinet 2.82.0.0 11.05.2006 no virus found
                                  F-Prot 3.16f 11.04.2006 no virus found
                                  F-Prot4 4.2.1.29 11.04.2006 no virus found
                                  Ikarus 0.2.65.0 11.03.2006 no virus found
                                  Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 11.05.2006 no virus found
                                  McAfee 4888 11.03.2006 no virus found
                                  Microsoft 1.1609 11.04.2006 no virus found
                                  NOD32v2 1.1853 11.03.2006 no virus found
                                  Norman 5.80.02 11.03.2006 no virus found
                                  Panda 9.0.0.4 11.04.2006 Suspicious file
                                  Sophos 4.10.0 10.26.2006 no virus found
                                  TheHacker 6.0.1.112 11.03.2006 no virus found
                                  0
                                  1. Contributor
                                    Hello everyone :)

                                    Gribouille, let's keep it simple - leave the reports as they are, without having fun making them bold or putting them in tags because it makes reading more difficult for everyone. Thank you.

                                    The file that is the source of your concern is drvmam.dll.

                                    Before deleting it, it would be wise to analyze it:

                                    1/ Display all files and folders:

                                    Click on "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Tools" (at the top) -> "Folder Options..." -> "View".

                                    Check:
                                    "Show hidden files and folders"
                                    Uncheck the boxes:
                                    "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
                                    "Hide extensions for known file types"

                                    Click on "Apply", then "Ok"

                                    2/ Go to http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
                                    Click on "Browse..." and find the bold file:
                                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drvmam.dll
                                    Wait for the rectangle to turn green (on the right) and click on "Send".
                                    Once the scan is complete, copy/paste the report on the forum.

                                    Have a good Sunday.

                                    Bizz ^^Marie^^
                                    0
                                    • 1
                                    • 2