Phone catchphrase
Solved
Hello everyone. Here is my big problem: I cannot get a network on a telephone socket.
Following this problem I changed the telephone socket, and the new one is perfect.
I’ll explain my wiring and if someone can help me understand why it works on one socket and not the other.
From outside my apartment, I reach the terminals 1 (gray wire) and 3 (white wire) of a splitter (well I think that’s what it is...) which has a three-terminal capacitor, of which I don’t know what it’s for, and if I can remove it.
Then from terminal 1 and 3 of the splitter I go to two telephone sockets. From terminal 1 of the splitter, I go to terminal 1 of the two sockets, and from terminal 3 of the splitter I go to terminals 3 of the two sockets.
Why on one socket is it perfect and on the other I have no network. Yet both sockets are wired the same, I don’t understand.
If someone can tell me if I wired it correctly, and otherwise what to do.
What is the capacitor on the splitter for? On which terminals should we wire the 3 wires? and can it be removed without risk?
Do I have to wire all the wires at the splitter's input, and on the two telephone sockets?
Thank you for your answers
sonic730
Following this problem I changed the telephone socket, and the new one is perfect.
I’ll explain my wiring and if someone can help me understand why it works on one socket and not the other.
From outside my apartment, I reach the terminals 1 (gray wire) and 3 (white wire) of a splitter (well I think that’s what it is...) which has a three-terminal capacitor, of which I don’t know what it’s for, and if I can remove it.
Then from terminal 1 and 3 of the splitter I go to two telephone sockets. From terminal 1 of the splitter, I go to terminal 1 of the two sockets, and from terminal 3 of the splitter I go to terminals 3 of the two sockets.
Why on one socket is it perfect and on the other I have no network. Yet both sockets are wired the same, I don’t understand.
If someone can tell me if I wired it correctly, and otherwise what to do.
What is the capacitor on the splitter for? On which terminals should we wire the 3 wires? and can it be removed without risk?
Do I have to wire all the wires at the splitter's input, and on the two telephone sockets?
Thank you for your answers
sonic730
26 answers
-
Hello
Does anyone know what happens if the white and gray wires of the France Telecom line have been swapped ??
What I can't verify is that at the line entry they are both black
what is the function of these two wires
is there a phase and a neutral
is it dangerous for reception to swap them if an ADSL box is at the end
Not very clear huh
but if someone can answer me ... Thanks -
hi,
No problem, the wires are reversible, as for the capacitor, like all non-electrolytic capacitors, there is no polarity and it should be installed in parallel on pins 1 and 3 of the T-shaped socket.
There you go
See you soon, Molene. -
Hello, I was touched by the modem too, let me explain the thing: I only had 1 Mbps with the modem and drops very often, so I called my internet customer service and they told me to check the telephone line and there’s a small capacitor, then I removed it and I went up to 3.5 Mbps. I gained 2.5 Mbps of connection. Seriously, that capacitor is really junk, re-adsl is perfect ^^
-
ContributorHello,
At Neuf you ran into a fool. They aren’t all, but there are many.
If you are at Neuf for ADSL, you are on partial disaggregation but necessarily unbundled.
If that’s not what you did when you say you connect the phone directly to the jack, stack the Neufbox’s grey plug onto the wall jack, then the plug of your phone into the grey plug.
If your phone works normally the problem comes from the Neufbox.
--
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum. -
the problem you are seeing is called isolation generally; current passes through one wire and not through the other, either on the operator's side or your socket is damaged
-
Hello,
I have a problem with my phone line reception, let me explain: I have an ADSL offer with 9, a telephone socket in the house, so I plugged the ADSL into the phone socket, and the phone onto the box, all of which is very banal, it worked very well until yesterday, I can make calls, but cannot receive them anymore "the line is busy" for info since I am in an unbundled area I kept the FT telephone number. I called 9's support, and they don't understand why from one day to the next it stopped working, if I plug the phone directly into the socket it works. They advised me to have a second socket installed at home by FT, one for the ADSL and the other to receive calls" with the FT number. The snag is that sending a technician costs 99 euros! Just that and the free socket. My question is, isn’t the new thing starting to fool me? It’s weird that suddenly it doesn’t work anymore
Can someone please help me SP? -
My Motorola phone remains off when the charger is plugged in.
-
So it seems that number 1 = Gray = Negative (and yes, there is a polarity! something I didn't know)
number 3 = White = Positive
But the wiring orientation of my two wires of the same color (coming from the external FT network)
on terminals 1 and 3 is not important.
Anyway I will test tonight when I get home
bye
Can someone confirm what I just wrote
thank you -
same I only have two gray wires that arrive on a terminal block ... I’m not sure which one is the gray and which one is the white
I only know that they go to terminal 1 and 3 at the top left of the T socket
thanks in advance
jérémie -
ContributorVaa voir là http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/pre?zone=zonerecherche&intuitiontodo=searchallproductssortbyfamily&pageid=67&presentationid=2&question=prise+murale++Rj11&x=0&y=0
--
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum. -
ContributorYou can see there really wasn’t any reason to be depressed. lol
;-)
--
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum. -
Hello,
A thousand thanks for your advice it works, so I took the first two wires that were on the left on the female socket and I connected them the same way to my wall outlet ...... it works great.
The internet is also working well so I am super happy..... again thanks for your help it’s really very kind of you.
Best regards Marina -
ContributorHi,
You need to use the wires attached to terminals 1 and 2 on the female end of your extension and connect them to terminals 1 and 2 on your wall outlet. Terminals 1 and 2 are the ones at the top and on the left when you look at the plug from the front.
If it’s already like that, i.e., the red on 1 and the yellow on 2, that’s what I told you before:
You want to plug Internet at the end of an extension? Very bad!
Not sure it will work.
With Wi-Fi you probably won’t lose more than with a long extension.
--
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum. -
Hello,
thank you for your response, you’re absolutely right. as for the extension cord, the Leroy Merlin seller advised me... well, let’s move on, otherwise I unmounted the female socket of the extension cord and all the wires I listed are connected.
I also tried a bit randomly to only connect 2 wires on 1 and 2 like the gray and white wires but nothing.... so in the meantime I’ve connected two small extension cords to go to the net but the Alice Box is dragging around the middle of the room due to a lack of a long extension cord. I must say that for the moment everything works fine.... here’s hoping it lasts, right ??
do I need to buy another extension cord ?? or should I switch to wifi but I was told that you lose about a little with this mode of connection ??
thanks again for your reply -
ContributorHello,
I confirm that only 2 wires are needed.
Do you want to plug the Internet into the end of a extension cord? Very bad idea!
Not sure it will work. If you have problems and you call the hotline they will tell you it’s because of that. Even if that isn’t true because it can sometimes work despite everything.
If I understand correctly your extension cord consists of a cable with a female plug at one end and 4 wires not connected at the other end.
This extension cord was probably made in a country where the standards aren’t the same as in France.
In themselves the colors of the wires don’t matter; they are only used to facilitate identification.
Is it possible to open the female connector at the end of your extension cord? Otherwise you’ll have to groping around.
@+
--
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum. -
Hello,
I am desperate and hope that someone or some people can help me. I have a landline socket in the corner of my living room and my desk with internet in the other corner, so I had to buy a extension cord that connects via wires to the wall socket. So I dismantle my socket; two wires are connected, a gray and a white, normal. Then I look at my extension and the diagram on the packaging. I have 4 wires: 1 white, 1 blue, 1 yellow and 1 red. Following the diagram I must connect the yellow to 2 (on the wall socket) then the red to 1, the white to 3, and finally the blue to 4. And well I have no dial tone for the phone and even less for the internet ???? everywhere I read that it should only be 2 wires, 1 gray and 1 white... but I am just a poor woman who knows nothing!!!!
I thank in advance anyone who can help me. -
If you are a student, you should be able to get 50%, like me.
Well, I think that if the technician visits so that you go to Orange for internet, it’s good.
If he visits to give you the opportunity to the competition, student or not, it’s full price.
Try anyway .. -
Hello gentlemen!
I think I have the same problem as Sonic. In fact, I just took a FT subscription for a landline in order to be able to get an ADSL offer with Neuf. The problem is that I hadn’t realized yet that my line wasn’t working because I’ve only just bought a phone. I’ll go to FT today and they’ll tell me that I have to bring a technician from their side. It kind of annoys me because it will cost me 55 euros and I’m a student, and I don’t really have the means. Is there a solution? Like: open the wall socket to see if there’s a problem. Or is the whole line having a problem? And what does a technician do at my place? DIY doesn’t scare me! :)
There you go, thanks a lot to everyone for your help!
Sam -
Sorry to disagree with you, I work at FT and it’s always mandatory, it just has to have 2 legs instead of 3. The 3rd leg is the harmful one
The proof of what I’m saying directly at FT and it dates back to May 2007, don’t tell me it’s too old!
Look closely at chapter 2.2.1, it’s clear, right?
https://www.orange.com/fr-
Hello Lucfer,
I’m chipping in to the discussion because, as a self-employed person, could you help me? I’m my own boss and I install routers for professionals, like EDF, Manpower, SNCF, etc., mainly on behalf of NeufCegetel. Right now I’m desperately looking for wall-mounted RJ11 enclosures for leased lines in particular. I see you have some really nice ones that would be perfect for me. The problem is I don’t know where to find them; I’ve searched the web but nothing! Could you fill me in on this STP, please.
Thanks in advance
-
-
To answer your question and simplify your installation, you can wire only the gray wire (pin 1) and the white wire (pin 2) across your entire installation; the telecom feed uses only these two wires, gray and white. The capacitor, however, is used for external measurements of the line by France Télécom; it allows, even if nothing is connected, to see that there is a termination of the installation. It is not essential for operation. Now one of your outlets works and the other does not; it could be a defect in the cable from your first outlet to your second outlet. You can try using two other wires from the cable feeding the non-working outlet: orange pin 1 and yellow pin 3; that is what is usually done. I hope this helps. Bernard, France Télécom for 23 years.
- 1
- 2
Next