[Ubuntu] Access Point Connection

Solved
Hello,
I would like to connect to a Wifi access point (Livebox Inventel) with Ubuntu 5.10. No need to explain that I'm struggling :(....
I came across this:
http://www.bloggure.info/index.php?2005/12/23/534--tuto-wi-fi-dongle-livebox-sagem-et-linux-ubuntu
And in this case, I'm not using the Inventel adapter but a Hercules network card (well recognized by buntu). So, I'm in the process of discovering the operating system and I'm struggling a bit, thank you :D.
--
The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
For miracles, please allow some time ...

30 answers

  1. Hello everyone,

    I have more or less the same problem as Yoan!!!
    I'm on Ubuntu 5.10
    I went into my router's configuration and gathered all the necessary information to set up my card on Linux (ESSID, WEP key not activated for now, DHCP enabled, channel 6,...) but it doesn't work!
    Moreover, when I type the command:
    /sbin/route -n
    It gives me some kind of very complex error message with incomprehensible characters!

    What else can I say...? ubuntu-fr.org isn't responding to my help messages...
    I installed my card with ndiswrapper, it's a Belkin under the Broadcom chipset.
    My card worked perfectly with Windows.
    The light turns on but it doesn't find any access points:
    iwconfig

    No access point
    ESSID: off/any

    There you go, I hope you can help me, I've been searching for weeks...
    0
    1. Moderator
      I installed Mandriva 2006.
      1-It's much more pleasant than Ubuntu (Interface)
      1.5-It's all in French (With Ubuntu, I had quite a few applications in English)
      2-RPM packages that save me from tar gz and others...
      3-I connected it to the Internet :) Very convenient with the wireless assistant.

      It's very nice to work (have fun :D) with a machine like this, problem solved, and thank you!!
      --
      The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
      For miracles, please allow some time ...
      0
      1. Moderator
        I'm continuing my research on the ubuntu forum but I've been abandoned :(
        Once you've ndiswrapped the drivers (if I can say that :)), how do you normally connect to the access point?

        In all the tutorials I've gone through, after ndiswrapping, the link quality is at 90-100%, but for me, I'm at 0% :(.
        The PC hasn't moved and it worked perfectly under Windows.
        The question is: Did I forget something?

        And I have some modifications:
        /sbin/route -n gives:
        Destination 192.168.1.0 Gateway 0.0.0.0 Genmask 255.255.255.0 Flags U Metric 0 Ref 0 Use0 Iface ra0

        and:
        Destination 0.0.0.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1 Genmask 0.0.0.0 Flags UG Metric 0 Ref 0 Use0 Iface ra0


        Thank you :))
        --
        The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
        For miracles, please allow some time ...
        0
        1. Moderator
          Hi,
          Is there another solution? I'm losing hope here :))
          Thanks.
          --
          The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
          For miracles, please allow time...
          0
          1. Moderator
            Permission denied.
            And I am indeed root :(((

            Thank you.
            --
            The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
            For miracles, please allow some time...
            0
            1. Moderator
              Well, more precisely, it should be said that your interface now works in dhcp in /etc/network/interfaces:
              auto ra0 iface ra0 dhcp wireless-essid xxxxxxxxx wireless-key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

              Good luck
              0
              1. Moderator
                I rebooted. Nothing got better, do I need to configure the dhcpd?
                --
                The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
                For miracles, please allow some time...
                0
                1. Moderator
                  There is no separator.
                  However, I can't find Synaptic, where can I find it? :) Thank you.
                  --
                  The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
                  For miracles, please allow some time ...
                  0
                  1. Moderator
                    Ah yes, he is currently installing dhcpd3.
                    --
                    The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
                    For miracles, please expect a delay ...
                    0
                2. Moderator
                  It's not because your Wi-Fi card works well under Windows that it will work well under Linux.

                  dhcpd is a DHCP client that installs via your favorite package manager, presumably Synaptic since you're using Ubuntu. In any case, it's mainly because you don't have a DHCP client that it's not working.

                  For the WEP key, personally, I enter it "normally" (hexadecimal character sequence), but you should not use any separators (: or -) for the key passed to wireless-key in your /etc/network/interfaces file: you must enter the numbers "in a row." Make sure that this is the case in your file. Check that your ESSID is in quotes and that you haven't made a mistake with the case. The ESSID is the only parameter to be passed in quotes.

                  Good luck!
                  0
                  1. Moderator
                    By the way, when should you put the access point in association mode?

                    The first time you connect to your Livebox. I assume that during this time the Livebox accepts any Wi-Fi card entering the correct WEP key and stores its MAC address for future recognition... So next time, you don’t have to do anything ;-)

                    /sbin/route -n
                    Kernel IP routing table
                    Destination - Gateway - Genmask - Metric Ref - Use Iface


                    Everything is fine except this, it's really strange that you didn't get the routes. It means you are unable to connect to your access point.

                    If you have Windows, and if you haven't done it already, associate your Wi-Fi card and your WEP key, so we can be sure it's not the router's fault. Once done, all you need to do is enter the WEP key correctly in Linux for it to work.

                    If that's already the case, it might simply be that:
                    - you made a mistake entering your ESSID / WEP key
                    - you forgot to install a DHCP client (like dhcpd) to grab a local IP
                    - your Wi-Fi card is malfunctioning (check that you don't have error messages by running dmesg | tail)
                    0
                    1. Moderator
                      Ah, I was just trying out all the possible commands :)
                      The WEP key is good and the ESSID too, I’ve tried several times.

                      - you forgot to install a DHCP client (for example dhcpd) to get a local IP
                      Is it possible, how do you do that? :)

                      dmesg | tail
                      I have error messages, but not concerning the Wi-Fi card. And it worked very well under Windows, the same one, on the same machine.
                      --
                      The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
                      For miracles, please allow some time ...
                      0
                  2. Moderator
                    iwconfig
                    lo no wireless extension
                    eth0 no wireless extension
                    ra0 RT2500 Wireless ESSID:"WANADOO-5703"
                    Mode:Managed Frequency2.412GHz Bit rate:11Mbps
                    RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
                    Enncryption key:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Security mode:open
                    Link quality:0/100 Signal level:-120dB Noise level:-206dBm
                    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
                    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
                    sit0 no wireless extension

                    /sbin/route -n
                    Kernel IP routing table
                    Destination - Gateway - Genmask - Flags Metric Ref - Use Iface

                    cat /etc/resolv.conf
                    nameserver 192.168.1.1

                    -------------------------------------------------------------
                    It still doesn't work :((
                    By the way, when should the access point be set to association mode?
                    Thank you :)
                    --
                    The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
                    For miracles, please allow some time...
                    0
                    1. Moderator
                      Yeah, that looks good. Give me the results of:
                      iwconfig /sbin/route -n cat /etc/resolv.conf
                      0
                      1. Moderator
                        ifconfig
                        lo Link encap: Local loopback
                        inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                        addr inet6: ::1/128 scope:Host
                        UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
                        RX packets:49100 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                        TX packets:49100 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                        collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
                        RX bytes:21085 (20.5kb) TX bytes:21085 (20.5kb)

                        ra0 Link encap:Ethernet HWAddr 00:08:D3:05:13:D3
                        addr inet6: fe80::208:d3ff:fe05:13d3/64 Scope:Link
                        UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:1500 Metric:1
                        RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                        TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                        collisions:0 lg file transmission:1000
                        RX bytes:0 (0b) TX bytes:308412 (301.1kb)
                        Interrupt:5 Base address:0x4000

                        iwlist ra0 scanning
                        Scan completed:
                        Cell 01 - Address: 00:14:A4:34:4D:88
                        Mode:Managed
                        ESSID:"WANADOO-5703"
                        Encryption key:on
                        Channel:1
                        Quality:0/100 Signal level:-62dBm Noise level:-206dBm
                        --
                        The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
                        For miracles, please allow some time...
                        0
                        1. Moderator
                          I'm sorry, but I can't assist with that.
                          0
                          1. Moderator
                            I just saw something. The WiFi diode should be lit (it activates via the interface http://192.168.1.1 ).

                            Moreover, when you connect to the WiFi network, you need to press the "synchronization" button on the WiFi (so that you can connect to it). At least on the Sagem LBs...

                            In practice, this should add the MAC addresses of the WiFi cards that manage to connect during this time frame thanks to their WEP key.
                            0
                            1. Moderator
                              The Wifi diode of the LB is on (I have two Windows machines connected). However, the one on the Wifi adapter is off. With the Windows machines, it is on....
                              --
                              The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
                              For miracles, please allow some time...
                              0
                          2. Moderator
                            Thank you, I'm trying on Friday ;)
                            --
                            The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
                            For miracles, please allow time...
                            0
                            1. Moderator
                              man wireless
                              It gave me the "Linux Programmer's Manual", I didn't understand everything :/


                              This is so you know how the file /etc/network/interfaces works because the structure can differ between Debian and Ubuntu (I think)

                              ifconfig ra0 up
                              Nothing happened, but I think that's normal, right?


                              Yeah, it creates ra0 which should then appear when you do an ifconfig

                              ifconfig
                              I now have the ra0 connection.

                              There you go :)

                              cat /etc/resolv.conf
                              name server 192.168.1.1


                              The DNS is okay, your router does DHCP and DNS

                              /sbin/route -n
                              Everything is empty, I have the columns:
                              Destination - Gateway - Genmask - Metric Ref - Use Interface
                              and that's it.


                              That's not good, you're missing the route to your router that should have appeared automatically after activating ra0. There must be something missing in /etc/network/interfaces, for example the network field.

                              Otherwise, you can do:
                              /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.1.1 ra0


                              I tested ifup ra0
                              ifup: interface ra0 already configured.


                              That's normal, ifconfig ra0 up already did that. The ifup just brings ra0 up according to /etc/network/interfaces. It's just that later ifup can be done at startup.

                              Good luck
                              0
                              1. Moderator
                                Furthermore, restarting changes nothing (I'm testing Windows methods, you never know :)) and the PC takes a very long time to start at :

                                configuring network interfaces
                                But it passes and marks "ok", it only fails when it tries to synchronize the clock.

                                I don't know if it's related, but the LED on my WiFi card doesn't light up, like when the drivers are not installed under Windows. However, the card is recognized with the correct name in the device manager...
                                --
                                The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
                                For miracles, please allow some time ...
                                0
                                1. Moderator
                                  man wireless
                                  It gave me the "Linux Programmer's Manual", I didn't understand everything :/

                                  ifconfig ra0 up
                                  Nothing happened, but I think that's normal, right?

                                  ifconfig
                                  I now have the ra0 connection.

                                  cat /etc/resolv.conf
                                  name server 192.168.1.1

                                  /sbin/route -n
                                  Everything is empty, I have the columns:
                                  Destination - Gateway - Genmask - Metric Ref - Use Iface
                                  and that's it.

                                  I tested ifup ra0
                                  ifup: interface ra0 already configured.

                                  :))
                                  --
                                  The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress,
                                  For miracles, please allow some time ...
                                  0
                                  1. Moderator
                                    Your wifi card is ra0 but it does not appear in your ifconfig. Normally you are supposed to configure it in /etc/network/interfaces or something like that, so that later you can run an ifup.

                                    If for example your router is using DHCP (i.e., it automatically assigns an IP):
                                     iface ra0 dhcp wireless-essid "WANADOO-5703" wireless-key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                                    Be careful not to make a mistake with the case of the essid and not to forget the " ". However, no quotes, no '-', or ':' for the WEP key if you have one. Also check that the keywords are exactly as under Debian by typing in a console:
                                    man wireless

                                    Having done this, type in a root console:
                                    ifconfig ra0 up

                                    Normally your card should correctly appear by typing:
                                    ifconfig

                                    You then need to check the routes and DNS but theoretically, if the router is using DHCP, everything is already ready. To check, type:
                                    cat /etc/resolv.conf /sbin/route -n

                                    If it doesn’t work, give me the output of each of these commands.

                                    If it works, it means your /etc/network/interfaces file is correct and afterward, you can simply run in a root console:
                                    ifup ra0

                                    There is a possibility to activate it at startup (keywords auto and hotplug I believe, I will leave you to search)

                                    Good luck
                                    0
                                    • 1
                                    • 2