Compaq Armada 1750

I have an old Compaq Armada 1750 laptop.
But when I turn it on, the Compaq logo appears followed by a black screen with a blue window and a message saying power-on password (followed by a key). When I press enter, the message reappears with the key crossed out.
I was told to remove the battery and put it back after 10 minutes. I tried, but the message is still there.
On the internet, I found either
by opening the laptop and removing the BIOS battery. You will need to reconfigure it afterward. It is possible that you will also have to perform a low-level format of the hard drive (from the BIOS or a Compaq boot disk), you can ask Compaq customer service to provide you information on this topic.

To remove a password from a card, you need to do a clear CMOS
clear CMOS> reset the motherboard configuration to default
look for a small jumper on the motherboard (black or red) marked CLRTC, move it one pin over and then put it back in its original position

I am not capable of doing that, I don't even know how to open a laptop!?

33 answers

  1. Hi, I just saw your msg, I had the same problem with my dear Armada: so: 1- turn off your mobile 2- remove the battery and the power supply 3- lift the keyboard (by unhooking two clips that are symmetrically located concerning the mouse of the laptop, towards the bottom of the keyboard) 4- unplug the small flat battery (3 volts) 5- turn on the laptop without anything plugged in, the green "power" LED will light up and then go off for a second. 6- plug the power supply back in by itself 7- the laptop will turn back on by itself 8- after a few seconds, the screen will display "f1" for "save" and "f2" for "ignore" 9- press "f1" 10- and that's it, plug everything back in, the battery and close the keyboard
    3
    1. Thank you for the "COMPAQ Armada 1750 repair" procedure; on this forum, you seem to be one of those who have delved into the issues with this hardware. I am desperately trying to format my hard drive to reinstall a less resource-intensive OS than XP, and no matter what software I use (DOS, Partition Magic, or the Windows 2000 install), do you have a solution as brilliant as the one for the password? I'm on the verge of throwing it in the trash completely.

      Thanks in advance
      jclauth
      0
    2. @Jean-Charles LAUTHYou know, I've had my Armada since the year 2000, and it still works, and to format it I use the Windows XP CD, I do as if I'm going to install Windows, then it asks me if I want to format, I say yes, and at the end of the formatting I stop the installation. I know it's not the best method, but it's my "D" drive.

      Otherwise, look online for bootable CDs, because with those CDs you can boot your PC without going through the OS, you just need to find a bootable CD that allows you to format.

      P.S.: If I find a link, I'll post it here.
      0
  2. Hello, to remove the power-on password, you need to disconnect the hard drive, the disk drive, and the battery. A message will appear on the screen, and you should do the one on the right first and then the one on the left, and the password will be gone. However, you will need to reinstall Windows XP afterwards.
    0
    1. Hello,
      Does anyone still have the BIOS boot disk usable on the Armada 1750?

      P.S.: I know I'm digging this up ...
      letubeATyahoo.fr ( AT --> @ )
      Thank you
      0
  3. HI, 08/2008
    Some Armada models do not have a jumper for clearing the CMOS; removing the battery and waiting will have no effect.
    Here is a procedure used with the Armada SB that allowed recovering the BIOS CMOS from the Taiwan production line.
    THE BIOS refused any configuration (frozen state), with no access to the BIOS after the memory charge.
    Remove the battery as well as the coin cell battery under the keyboard (3 screws), disconnect the wire from the connector on the motherboard.
    Without the battery and coin cell, start the notebook, which should boot the OS, then shut down the OS once it has loaded.
    Reinsert the coin cell and the battery, restart normally, and it’s OK.
    BYE
    0
    1. Hello, I followed bmKnino's instructions but still nothing works, they're telling me

      162 option not set

      Help me, I can't manage.
      0
      1. Hi, I looked a bit (just a bit since I'm in exam period) on the net and apparently the error "162 option not set" is due to the time not being set

        so, I haven't touched my Compaq for a long time since I'm using an Acer, anyway
        what I'm trying to say is that, having forgotten your password, I think you can't access the BIOS to set the time

        so try changing your hard drive (if you have another one) since on these machines the BIOS is installed on the hard drive, and also change the small battery, because in my opinion if the time isn't set it's probably due to the battery

        I know I'm not being precise, it's just that I've never had this kind of problem on my PC

        sorry I can't help more, but still try to repeat the same steps I mentioned, removing the hard drive as well, then put it back and redo the steps

        I hope you'll find a solution

        ps: if you find a solution let us know, because it's always good to know.
        0
    2. Armada 1750

      All parts have been taken.

      I only have a 10 GB hard drive with a rack left. There is a special partition on it (about 16 MB) for the setup and diagnostics of an Armada 1750.
      0
      1. Hello everyone

        I also recovered an Amrada 1750 with a dead hard drive

        As mentioned, the disk on these models contains a part of the BIOS... so without a disk... not many solutions

        Is it possible for Detenova to send me a ghost image of the disk so I can restart the beast... being a student, this device would be very useful for me

        Thank you in advance!!!!
        My email is yalta128@yahoo.fr
        0
      2. Is the 10 Mo hard drive still available? If yes, please make an offer. Thank you in advance.

        JP
        0
      3. Do you still have the hard drive for the Armada 1750, partitioned with the appropriate BIOS? If so, are you selling it? And at what price?
        Thank you in advance for your response.

        JP
        0
      4. Do you still have the hard drive rack for the Armada 1750?
        If so, could you make me an offer?
        Best regards
        0
    3. For those who are interested, I have several second-hand parts (like new condition) for Armada 1750 (1700 series)

      15-inch screen (great)
      keyboard
      floppy disk drive
      CD-ROM drive
      128 MB memory card
      battery
      case
      10 GB hard drive
      0
      1. Hello,
        Do you still have the Compaq parts?
        Best regards
        0
      2. @bobsidHello,

        I have a 10 GB hard drive left with the setup partition.
        Otherwise, I have rebuilt an Armada 1750 with new parts, and it works perfectly. 15-inch screen, network, internet, etc., etc... Everything is fine with Windows 98.
        0
    4. Good evening, I have an Armada 7770 and a 7360, and I've never been able to access the BIOS.

      However, if there is a power-on password, start the PC on AC power without the battery and without the backup battery.

      I locked my PC with Compaq's security management utility, the problem I had was that I had no keyboard to type the password at startup.

      Seb
      0
      1. lol are you kidding? don't throw it away!
        I pulled out this laptop (the Armada 1700) that belonged to my dad to try to make something cool out of it (something new from something old), so I'm reading about your problems like this, if it happens to me, I'll be better able to handle it ^^

        Best regards, Asra.
        0
        1. lol you're not serious? don't throw it away!
          I pulled out this laptop (the Armada 1700) that belonged to my father to try to make something cool out of it (something new with something old), so I'm reading your issues like this so if it happens to me, I'll be better able to handle it ^^

          do you think it's possible to change the motherboard that's in it and replace it with a more recent one? given the ample space that the case offers?

          best regards, Asra.
          0
          1. lol, he doesn't complain with my 30GB hard drive, but the problem is that it's not powerful enough to fill up those 30GB!!!
            0
            1. Hello,

              I am selling an Armada with a PCMCIA Wifi card under LSD 3.5 with 192 MB of RAM.
              The USB port is out of order (power supply issue).
              Contact me: jx3arfhlhvdgl6b@jetable.com (address valid for 1 month)
              0
              1. Hello,

                Carel09, for your problem, it's just the battery connectors that are short-circuiting.
                On this type of model, the issue has occurred often.
                Unfortunately, besides replacing the battery, you won't have any other solution, as it's unsolvable.

                A piece of advice, continue without a battery as it's not worth buying a new one.

                M.
                0
                1. Hello everyone
                  I am new to this site
                  I have a problem with a Compaq Armada 1750
                  The power supply being dead, I replaced it and it works on AC power
                  However, it does not work on battery (which is in good condition)
                  As soon as I unplug the power, the computer turns off
                  Whether the battery is on the right or the left, or even with two batteries
                  Thank you for responding to me
                  0
                  1. Thank you, but I'm just looking for spare parts.
                    By the way, Nitty Gritty, something to do with the bluegrass band?
                    0
                    1. a little clarification for those who are not familiar with this computer model.
                      The hard drive must be formatted to have at least two partitions:
                      1/ at the beginning of the disk, a small partition that will contain the BIOS (8 MB) which will be hidden.
                      2/ a partition that will contain Windows.
                      Note that the motherboard only supports hard drives of small capacity (20 GB max, I believe).
                      There you go, I hope I’ve helped...
                      PS, I’m looking for a keyboard from 1700 or 1750, or a few keys...
                      Hello everyone
                      jo
                      0
                  2. I have one for sale, in perfect condition with Win XP installed, running smoothly with 192 MB of RAM + some nice accessories (external CD burner, PCMCIA cards for USB 2.0, etc.).
                    0
                    1. Hello,
                      I found another, more recent laptop.
                      I'm keeping the Armada 1750 as a backup, stripped down to the max with its 10 GB, 400 MHz, 320 MB of RAM, and Win XP SP2.
                      It runs with a pretty slow startup.
                      I don't think I can do any better.
                      Thanks to everyone who showed interest in my situation.
                      0
                      1. Hello
                        I couldn't find any used RAM on E-bay as I planned to do. However, on a colleague's Armada 1750D with 192 MB (64 MB base + 128 MB Kingston), I was able to install and test the wonders of WIN LSD III in terms of speed, continuity, and stability. To be frank, I installed it on my desktop and it works like a charm.
                        Good luck
                        See you later
                        0
                        1. Hello,
                          I have exactly the same symptoms as you, Burlot, so I wanted to know if you installed the LSD III or if you found a compatible memory stick (personally, I'm stuck with a Dane-Elec 256 Mo pc-133 and Windows SP2 on a Compaq Armada 1750). So if you have any updates, I'm interested ;)
                          Thanks.
                          0
                          1. I found some RAM. After 2 failures, I conclude that it's Kingston that works, and the most available is 256 MB at 100 and not 133.
                            That gives me now 256+64 = 320 MB. That's much better, but with Win XP Pro, it's still not enough.
                            I can't take the risk of changing everything right now, as I need my machine, even if it's a bit sluggish. But I think soon, I'm going to reinstall the Windows NT that was originally there, and I have the CD that should restore everything to working order with the BIOS that I've lost.
                            There you go. Good luck.
                            0
                          2. @BURLOTHi, I also have an Armada 1750, here's its configuration

                            Processor Pentium 2 333Mhz
                            Hard drive 6.4 Go
                            64+32Mo of RAM
                            Windows XP PRO + SP2

                            As you can guess, it's lagging a lot and I plan to upgrade it, so here’s the configuration I want to give it

                            Processor Pentium 3 650Mhz
                            Hard drive 20 Go
                            64+128Mo or 64+256Mo of RAM
                            Windows XP PRO + SP2

                            I sent an email to Compaq asking how far I could push the Armada 1750 and they told me that for the hard drive it's a maximum of 10Go and that for the processor it's a maximum of a Pentium 2 400Mhz and for the memory it was a maximum of 196Mo

                            So I'm waiting for opinions on this, I want to keep Windows XP PRO.
                            0
                          3. @christophe1429Hello,
                            Know that WIN LSD III is based on XP Pro SP1.
                            For the RAM, 196 MB is incompatible with additional calculations considering the 64 MB already present, so the maximum is 192 MB (=128+64). For the CPU and the HDD, I cannot provide you with information.
                            Good luck.
                            0
                        2. Hello and thank you.
                          I'm willing to reinstall the ghost partition to get back to a normal configuration if you send it to me along with the instructions.
                          (mburlot@cg86.fr)
                          I currently have Win XP Pro SP2 installed and
                          it's true that it has a lot of unnecessary things for a laptop. The
                          LSD3 will ease the RAM and I think I will subscribe to it as well.
                          I will try to find another RAM stick after returning the one I had a lot of trouble finding
                          or rather I had to wait almost 2 months for delivery.
                          But I will keep following the Kingston site as you suggested.
                          0
                          • 1
                          • 2