USB drive issue on Windows XP

Hello,

On my DELL laptop, I am experiencing issues with USB drives (specifically an ACER 128 meg 2.0 flash stick).

Indeed, these devices (as this problem has occurred with drives from different brands) are automatically recognized for a few days and then become unusable on the PC.

They no longer appear in My Computer and are listed as "inactive" in the storage device properties. I have tried to reactivate them, but without success.
Additionally, the CD that came with the drive does not offer driver installation, as XP automatically recognizes this device.

I am left with this unusable drive.

Would you know how to fix this malfunction?

Thank you.

Best regards.
Configuration: WIndoxs XP Pro Portable DELL

46 answers

  1. Normally when you plug in your USB stick, Windows recognizes it automatically, but it may sometimes be identified as a "unknown device". To get it recognized again, here’s what you need to do.

    First, open Windows Explorer and click on the Tools tab => Folder Options... => View, look for "hidden files and folders" in the list and check "show hidden files and folders". Then:

    1/ Right-click on the My Computer icon on the desktop and then click on Properties.
    Then click on Hardware and then Device Manager.

    2/ Right-click on the line marked "unknown device" and click on Update Driver

    3/ Then in the Hardware Update wizard, choose "No, not this time"

    4/ Click Next.

    5/ Then choose Install from a list or specified location (advanced users)

    6/ Click Next.

    7/ Then click on "Do not search, I will choose the drivers to install"

    8/ Choose from the list of hardware USB hub (or USB Controllers)

    9/ Click Next.

    10/ Click on the supplied disk

    A window will open, browse to the folder C:/windows/inf and select the file usbstor.inf and click Open.

    Then the path of the selected driver will appear in the previous window. Click OK and... Click on "NEXT". The driver will install, and you will have a line called USB Mass Storage Device.

    From here on, in principle, your USB stick should be detected "NORMALLY"

    On the other hand, you may now see a question mark. Repeat steps 2 to 7.

    and continue with step 8 that follows:

    8/ Choose from the list of hardware "Storage Volume"

    9/ Click Next.

    10/ Click on the supplied disk

    A window will open, browse to the folder C:/windows/inf and select the file volsnap.inf and click Open.

    Then the path of the selected driver will appear in the previous window. Click OK and... Click on "NEXT". The driver will install and you will have a line called Generic Volume.

    And normally, if everything goes well, your USB stick is now properly recognized.

    Basoh Marc
    basohmarc@yahoo.fr
    11
    1. Thank you 7SEVEN, your tutorial really helped me out.
      0
    2. Thank you very much, it worked perfectly!
      0
  2. Hello,

    Telling you that I have exactly the same problem won't give you the solution; my PC running XP tells me that my drive could be faster, I have tried the 5 remaining ports out of 7, and each time it responded the same way, but it recognized it. Once in "My Computer" I can see the drive in question open. When I click on it to check its contents, it responds "Insert a disk." However, I open my other USB drives (2). It seems, from reading our friends who are trying to find a solution, that our cases are not isolated. It is surprising that Storex and other suppliers do not have a solution to provide in light of the uselessness of their hardware.

    Looking forward to reading you.

    Thanks again to everyone

    Jean-Claude
    1
    1. Hello!
      What solutions do you have for the issue of accessing the file to save my information on my USB? And thank you. (unable to save or create this file. please check that the disk where you want to save the file is not full, write-protected, or damaged)! This is in particular what I receive as a message after each failed attempt. Thank you again.
      0
      1. Contributor
        Hi camel

        question that hasn't been asked
        your modem isn't USB-based, at least (like LiveBox or 9Box)
        in that case, see
        http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 1381254 Probl%E8me USB sous Windows XP SP2
        ( -jean-marc- , post <146>)

        see you
        --
        no links on web page in English
        I'm already flying solo enough
        0
        1. Response to seven7: The brand of my webcam is APM. It used to work, but Windows no longer recognizes it. I looked in the device manager, and when I try to install it, it shows a question mark. I hope to get a response. Thank you.

          0
          1. Contributor
            right-click on the question mark, update the driver, and find it in the installation directory of the webcam

            see you later
            --
            no link on the webpage in English
            I already fly solo enough
            0
          2. IN RESPONSE TO CHAMEAU ABOUT HIS WEBCAM

            Have you reinstalled YOUR WEBCAM??

            Or are you just trying to reconnect it???

            REINSTALL YOUR WEBCAM.

            As bison says..
            right-click on the question mark, update the driver, and find it in the webcam installation directory
            0
        2. Contributor
          hi

          here are all the topics that can provide a solution

          usb fixes
          http://msmvps.com/docxp/archive/2005/05/22/48326.aspx
          http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doc.jm/b1n/USB_GenericDriverFix.vbs <-jean-marc->
          formatting USB devices: memory cards, external drives, USB keys
          http://translate.google.com/...

          usb drivers
          http://www.usb-drivers.com/companies/667.htm
          http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/USB/

          USB for XP
          http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=usb
          also see
          http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 1574442
          and this site
          http://www.sheraf.com/blog/
          http://www.x-micro.com/drv.htm

          USB: solved problems and knowledge base
          http://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/253 usb
          http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 1718331
          http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 1381254 USB Problem under Windows XP SP2 ( -jean-marc- , post <146>)
          neufBox and LiveBox fix =
          http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doc.jm/b1n/USB_GenericDriverFix.vbs (download with IE)
          http://pagesperso-orange.fr/doc.jm/usb_erreur.htm for the file "USB_GenericDriverFix" (download with IE)
          knowledge base: https://www.commentcamarche.net/contents/773-usb
          http://forum.telecharger.01net.com/forum/
          for MacOS-X = http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 3234815 mp3 problem yp u3#0

          USB2.0
          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=733dd867-56a0-4956-b7fe-e85b688b7f86&DisplayLang=fr
          then check if you have the WDM drivers
          right-click on My Computer/Properties/hardware/Device Manager/Audio, Video and Game Controllers
          click on the + box
          you should have a Universal WDM Video Capture
          or a Generic Video Capture

          USB registry = Odessine (CCM)
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion ; and for the "Name" DevicePath
          with neufbox = DevicePath | REG_EXPAND_SZ | C:\Program Files\USB Driver-Express\USB\Driver; %SystemRoot%\inf
          other = DevicePath | REG_EXPAND_SZ | %SystemRoot%\inf

          USB registry = for reference:
          Know that you can also remove from the registry the history of devices already connected to the USB port. (Including unknown devices).
          Launch the registry editor: "Start/Run" menu
          type "regedit" and Enter
          Go to the directory: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
          "SYSTEM"
          "CurrentControlSet"
          "ENUM"
          right-click on the "ENUM" directory and choose "Permissions..."
          Select "Everyone" as the user or group name
          Select "Full Control" and "Allow" in Permissions for everyone
          Click "OK"
          Go to the "USB" directory
          And delete all "Vid_xxxxxxxx_xxxx" directories
          Close the editor
          And plug in your devices...
          the USB modem last if you have one

          see you
          --
          no link on English web pages
          I'm already flying solo enough
          0
          1. In response to seven7, the situation is the same; I have the installation CD but it doesn't work. It worked before, but my PC bugged, and I had to reset everything to zero, and now Windows cannot access my request. I hope to get a response. Thank you, see you later.
            0
            1. Contributor
              Have you looked at post <44> ????

              See you later
              --
              No link on the English web page
              I'm already flying solo enough
              0
            2. IN RESPONSE TO CAMEL FOR YOUR WEBCAM

              I asked you for the brand of your webcam...

              Are you using a PC or a laptop??

              Now I propose two solutions:

              1) If it’s a PC, install your webcam on another PC that is not yours or even try it with two other PCs. And see if it works.

              If it works elsewhere then, we should conclude that it’s your PC (its operating system that has a problem)... and in that case, you need to reinstall it.

              2) If it’s a laptop, know that installing an OS (operating system) on certain laptops is particular (and this is probably YOUR PROBLEM)

              PS: You need to go to your laptop manufacturer’s website to download the device drivers and others...
              !!!
              0
          2. Salut à tous, j'ai un problème avec ma webcam. Je n'arrive pas à l'installer sur mon PC. Windows ne peut pas la configurer. Je suis allé dans le panneau de configuration, nouveau matériel, mais ça ne fonctionne toujours pas. Merci de votre réponse.
            0
            1. Contributor
              hi camel

              we should already look at the messages regarding the webcams
              there are three currently running

              see you
              --
              no links on the English web page
              I'm already flying solo enough
              0
            2. In response to CAMEL ON ITS WEBCAM...

              Do you already have your webcam drivers or an installation CD...? A webcam you bought always comes with an installation CD...

              Can you tell us the brand of your webcam???
              0
          3. Well, I have Vista and it's the same with Free, I have a THOMSON 0470 WLG-1500A ... Please, I need help!! =D
            0
            1. Contributor
              1°) hello

              2°) on the right, downwards
              < Write messages in clear language without abbreviations, telegraphic style, or SMS mode >
              also http://forumtfc.free.fr/divers/bansms.gif

              3°) search with friend Google
              https://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=THOMSON+0470+WLG-1500A&btnG=Recherche+Google&meta=lr%3Dlang_fr&gws_rd=ssl
              we find
              http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 2927294 pas driver cle wifi thomson wlg 1500a win98
              http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 3081716 association cle wifi thomson livebox?Acces=1
              https://www.porciello.com/inventel/

              4°) thank you

              see you
              --
              no links on English web page
              I already fly enough on my own
              0
          4. Re

            let's say it's starting off badly because I don't have an USB.exe in the command column!
            How do I add it?

            See you!
            0
            1. Contributor
              it's not a problem in itself
              because for my PC, I have a file "USB2.0.exe" to execute to install it
              and you shouldn't have it for your motherboard drivers

              see you
              --
              no links on the webpage in English
              I'm already stealing enough on my own
              0
          5. Manipulations performed ... without result. Still the same message: the disk in drive F is not formatted. etc.
            0
            1. Contributor
              it needs to start over
              and there is no shortage of topics

              usb
              in the "msconfig"
              Start menu/Run
              "Startup" tab, is there a USB.exe in the command column???
              for my part, I have in:
              - "Startup Item" = SiS USBrg
              - "Command" = C:\WINDOWS\SiS USBrg.exe

              usb fixes
              http://msmvps.com/docxp/archive/2005/05/22/48326.aspx
              http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doc.jm/b1n/USB_GenericDriverFix.vbs
              formatting USB devices: memory cards, external drives, USB sticks
              href= http://www.techpowerup.com/... target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>http://translate.google.com/...

              usb drivers
              http://www.usb-drivers.com/companies/667.htm
              http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/USB/

              USB for XP
              http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=usb
              also see
              http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 1574442
              and this site
              http://www.sheraf.com/blog/
              http://www.x-micro.com/drv.htm

              USB: resolved issues and knowledge base
              http://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/253 usb
              http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 1718331
              http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 1381254 Problème USB sous Windows XP SP2 (jean-marc, post <146>)
              fix for neufBox and LiveBox =
              http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doc.jm/b1n/USB_GenericDriverFix.vbs (to download with IE)
              http://pagesperso-orange.fr/doc.jm/usb_erreur.htm for the "USB_GenericDriverFix" file (to download with IE)
              knowledge base: https://www.commentcamarche.net/contents/773-usb
              http://forum.telecharger.01net.com/forum/
              for MacOS-X = http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 3234815 probleme mp3 yp u3#0

              USB2.0
              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=733dd867-56a0-4956-b7fe-e85b688b7f86&DisplayLang=fr
              then check if you have the WDM drivers
              right-click on My Computer/Properties/hardware/Device Manager/Audio, Video and Game Controllers
              click the + box
              you should have a WDM Universal Video Capture
              or a Generic Video Capture

              USBSTOR.INF - Version: 5.1.2600.0
              https://www.infdump.com/download-inf-files_new.php/inffiles/U/USBSTOR.INF/5.1.2600.0/download.html
              (download this link with Internet Explorer)
              http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich 2098576 usbstor inf
              to copy into C:\Windows\inf
              Microsoft info page = https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/823732/how-can-i-prevent-users-from-connecting-to-a-usb-storage-device
              USBSTOR.SYS
              http://sanderriere.free.fr/upload/USBSTOR.SYS
              to copy into C:\windows\system32\drivers

              USB registry = Odessine (CCM)
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion; and for the "Name" DevicePath
              with neufbox = DevicePath | REG_EXPAND_SZ | C:\Program Files\USB Driver-Express\USB\Driver; %SystemRoot%\inf
              other = DevicePath | REG_EXPAND_SZ | %SystemRoot%\inf

              USB registry = reminder:
              You can also delete from the registry the history of devices already connected to the USB port. (Including unknown devices).
              Open the registry editor: start menu/Run
              type "regedit" and Enter
              Go to the directory: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
              "SYSTEM"
              "CurrentControlSet"
              "ENUM"
              right-click on the "ENUM" directory and choose "Permissions…"
              Select as the username or group "Everyone"
              Select in Permissions for everyone "full control" and "Allow"
              Click "OK"
              Go to the "USB" directory
              And delete all "Vid_xxxxxxxx_xxxx" directories
              Close the editor
              And plug in your devices, the USB modem last

              for the solutions for "odessine" and "-jean-marc-", it's for USB ADSL modems, like NeufBox, LiveBox
              but nothing prevents you from checking

              I prefer to put everything back in one post

              see you later
              --
              no links on English web pages
              I already fly solo enough
              0
          6. Hello everyone,

            I read this post with interest... that started 3 years ago! ... because I have exactly the same problem as described by deneb (message 15):
            USB key and DVD drive out (they both appear, but empty!). Too bad he didn't provide the solution to his problem back then.

            Of course, I have tried all the suggested manipulations for no result. For my part, it started last week with the DVD drive. I have since retrieved a bootable Linux CD that I was able to start; which rules out a failure of the drive.
            Yesterday, I tried to read the USB key and got the dreaded message: "The disk in drive F is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?"
            So I'm throwing a bottle into the sea because I don’t want to reformat the PC... too much work.

            Configuration: Dell Inspiron 6400 (how strange!), Windows XP Pro SP2

            P.S.: Just a note: my external hard drive is fully recognized and readable - so apparently no issue with the USB driver...
            0
            1. Contributor
              Hi Crigolo

              Have you tried your key on another PC???
              If you get the same message

              See you later
              --
              No links on the webpage in English
              I'm already flying solo enough
              0
            2. @vieu bison boiteuThank you for the quick response ... on a post that seems to be "resolved."

              The issue with the key only occurs on my PC, of course.
              0
            3. Contributor
              @vieu bison boiteuso you plug it in with the PC turned off
              you turn it on
              with Windows Explorer, you right-click on it and select "eject"
              you shut down the PC, unplug your USB drive
              you restart the PC, plug your USB drive back in and check if you have access

              see you later
              --
              no links on the web page in English
              I'm already stealing enough on my own
              0
          7. Contributor
            you also have this page
            http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/USB/

            see you
            --
            no link on the English web page
            I already steal enough on my own
            0
            1. I bought a 4GB USB key, but when I click on properties it shows 1GB. I have the same problem with my CDs; they are 800MB but show 702MB. Thank you.

              0
              1. Contributor
                hello ecourt

                < problem with my 800mb CDs it shows 702mb >
                first update your "ASPI" files

                Adaptec ASPI 4.72:
                http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi_v472a2.exe
                https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=2516

                copy it either to C:\
                or to C:\Windows\
                run it
                it will create a directory \Adaptec
                and in this directory, run "aspinit.exe"
                and reboot
                in this directory, you have the file "aspichk.exe" which tells you if the aspis are well installed

                see you
                --
                no links on the webpage in English
                I'm already flying enough on my own
                0
            2. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400
              that does not recognize an MP4 player, a USB stick, and a 160 GB disk
              we could also throw it against the wall
              but at 1200 euros a piece, it's an expensive breakdown.
              0
              1. Contributor
                Hello Zobie the Fly

                Look higher up for the "USBSTOR" files to update

                See you later
                --
                No links on the webpage in English
                I'm already flying solo enough
                0
            3. Hello
              During the installation of Windows XP SP2 on my computer, I forgot to remove my USB key from the CPU; when formatting the partitions, I noticed that there was a USB key connected; I then accidentally removed the key; after the OS installation, my key refuses to open and even to format. Please give me a solution to recover my USB key.
              0
              1. When I plug in a USB device, Windows says it doesn't recognize it. And when I check in the Device Manager, it tells me that the driver is not installed. What should I do since I didn't get a CD with this device?
                0
                1. Hi, I have a problem. I bought an external hard drive WD 500 GB AND WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL IT, PLUG AND PLAY RECOGNIZES IT, IT SAYS IT'S READY TO USE, THE DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE, BUT THERE'S AN ERROR MESSAGE 10 THIS DEVICE IS UP TO DATE BUT CANNOT START. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. A+

                  BEST REGARDS
                  0
                  1. Look at the post I just put up before!!! It's all there!!!
                    0
                    • 1
                    • 2
                    • 3