Merci de préciser le texte à traduire.

Hello
I wanted to know what
NULLUS ENIM LOCUS SINE GENIO EST.
means. Thank you in advance.

5 answers

  1. Je t'aime beaucoup beaucoup, je sais que tu m'as aussi aimé. Merci d'avance.
    0
    1. Hi,

      That's it! Every dwelling, no matter how modest, among the Romans had its protective deity.
      0
      1. All of this means nothing. Copying/pasting words that we don't understand is not enough to convey information, to translate.
        There is a translation made in 1855: "there is no place that does not have its genius."

        A friend.
        0
        1. I simply typed "Latin dictionary" into Google.

          I haven't done any Latin for 30 years... Back then, it wasn't my cup of tea but now, in fact, I find it quite entertaining.

          How do you translate?

          No place is devoid of soul?
          Maybe the context?

          @+
          0
          1. It is quite surprising, all the same, these recurring requests for Latin translations on a forum dedicated to computer science...

            Nullus locus is in the nominative, est is the verb, sine=sans

            enim: - 1 - for, indeed; that is to say. - 2 - apparently, no doubt (ironically). - 3 - yes, certainly, of course, assuredly, indeed. - 4 - yes, but. - 5 - therefore.
            - at (sed) enim (in dialogue): yes, but; but you will say; but, one might say.
            - est enim turpe judicium, Cic.: yes, but it is a dishonorable trial.
            - sed enim (sedenim): but.
            - quid enim? what then?

            genius, genii, m.: - 1 - Genius (the god who gives life to all things). - 2 - genius (a god specific to each person, to each place, a protective god who shares a person's life, their celebrations...). - 3 - the genius (of a person) = the person themselves; good genius. - 4 - good food, gluttony, pleasure (everything that good genius can provide).
            - genio indulgere: to make pleasant offerings to one's genius, to make pleasant offerings to oneself, to be good to one's genius (= to be good to oneself), to lead a joyful life, to have a good time, to eat and drink well.
            - nunc et amico meo prosperabo et genio meo multa bona faciam, Plaut. Pers. 2.3.11: and now I will bring happiness to my friend and <give many good things to my genius> = have a really good time.

            As for the rest, your turn...
            0
            1. Thank you for Zenon's response.
              I just had a problem with "genio" which in my old college dictionaries (rather poor I must say) didn't provide a translation that made any sense in this sentence.
              THANK YOU AGAIN
              0