Nas server seeking advice for future purchases

-  

Hello, I have several disks (5) and I’d like some advice on affordable NAS servers; their connections are SATA 3, I think

thanks in advance

0

6 answers

  1. Moderator

    Hello,

    A NAS server is generally a machine where you install new disks to format them to the server OS format. New disks because you want storage that will last. I have a NAS from 2009 and one from 2017.

    Are your disks 3.5 inches or 2.5 inches? What sizes are they? Do you want to keep what’s on them?


    0
    1. I don’t know the difference between the two but they are the same port; otherwise I want to keep everything and I have 6 TB of data, thank you.

      0
      1. Moderator

        3.5 and 2.5 are the disk dimensions. A 3.5-inch disk is for a desktop PC, a 2.5-inch disk for a laptop.

        There are enclosures for 4 or 5 disks, Chinese hardware, from unknown brands. Mostly these are enclosures that connect via USB, not over the network. The N in NAS stands for Network, Storage on the network. Real NAS enclosures are better with disks of the same size, formatted by them. And they are relatively expensive hardware.

        In your case I would rather see an old PC, a tower with many slots. By sharing Windows. You can also install a true NAS kernel on the PC under Linux, but it will be less happy with existing NTFS disks.


        0
        1. Moderator

          An USB enclosure can be connected to a box to make it a network support. But from what I read, it no longer works on Orange Livebox boxes.

          1
        2. @jee pee

          Hi,

          If it's not on a box, it's commonly done on a PC.

          0
        3. @brupala

          6 to data not for time to time ;)

          0
        4. Moderator
          @CygneIndependant98

          In fact, for the network concept, the real question is: are there multiple users on multiple PCs?


          0
      2. thank you for your advice, I will think about all that and I'll see how it goes

        0
        1. hi do I need to format every hard drive? or not! thanks in advance

          0
          1. Moderator

            If the disks are installed in a desktop PC, no, in a USB enclosure neither. The cheapest USB enclosure with 5 bays for 3.5-inch drives I’ve seen is €160. We won’t even talk about the 5-disk NAS, because of its price, where you’d probably have to reformat the drives.

            There is still one thing that most users tend to overlook. Even an external drive should have a backup, at least one. If you care about what’s on it. I’m old-school. I told you I have 2 NAS devices, and also 2 PCs; for each, I have 2 external backups.

            1
          2. Hi,

            in general, gathering external disks into a NAS leads to them being formatted; it’s required to format them to put them in a RAID array.

            0
        2. Finally I took a 7-port hub, it suits me, thanks for the advice (resolved)

          0