Windows 98 shutdown problem

Solved/Closed
Hello everyone, I’m encountering the following problem: I click on Start, I choose Shut down, and it says shutting down Windows but nothing happens.
I’m forced to cut my computer’s power.

83 answers

  1. Hi everyone.

    Most shutdown problems are related to graphics drivers. Check your drivers.
    Also check all the programs running before shutting down (Ctrl+Alt+Del). Many of them are useless and don’t respond to shutdown interruptions. If these programs start at startup, delete them. A good tool for this: RegClean

    Good luck!
    1. Hi
      When I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, the Rnaap program is running, what is this program and can I delete it and how?
      Thank you
      Sonia
  2. I have the same problem
    1. probleme pour arreter mon pc , sur demarrer qd je fais arret il reste bloque sur le page windows 98
      as tu la solution
  3. How many times did you cut down your tower, because at this point there shouldn’t be much left, right? ;-)
    1. Problem stopping my PC, on startup when I click shutdown it stays stuck on the Windows 98 page
      do you have the solution
  4. Bob the fool, calm down or else §§§§§§
    seriously, guys, I have the same problem too; if you can send me a patch that would be nice because it really sucks to keep holding the power button for 15 seconds.
    thanks in advance to those who will respond seriously.
    a++
    1. Hi, could you please send me the patch to close Windows?
      Thank you
    2. Hi predator!
      I’m also interested in the freebox patch.
      You can send it to the email address removed CCM Moderation
      Thank you very much! t
      Ciao
    3. @valérieHi Val,

      I also have the same problem with closing Windows 98. Can you send me the patch please? Gracias senorita!
  5. thank you very much
    1. Hello,

      Thank you in advance for sending me the solution to my Windows 98 shutdown issue

      Have a nice day!
    2. I'm sorry but it's Windows here

      I don't know if you can help me anyway.

      Thank you
  6. I found the patch to be able to shut down Win 98 when it locks up
    leave me your addresses and I’ll send you the patch
    1. Hello,
      I have the same problem with Windows 98 SE and the Freebox I just received.
      Can you send me the patch to fix it or tell me how to obtain it.
      Thank you in advance.
      Kind regards
    2. please send me the patch so I can finally shut down this f*****g computer without having to turn off my tower.
    3. Sorry but I sent you this message because I thought you had it... I am desperately looking for an internet user who could send me this patch for the correction for my Freebox...
    4. Hi,
      First of all, best wishes for 2004.
      I’m coming with the same problem of closing Windows 98 with this one difference: Windows closes but restarts immediately.
      Maybe you have the solution with the patch.
      Thanks in advance.
    5. the same problem as the others with Windows Shutdown blocked after setting up the Freebox on Win 98SE
      i am also interested in the patch if it works!
      Thank you
      Frederic
  7. Hi,
    I would also be interested in this patch, thanks for being kind enough to send it to me.
    Have a good day, see you later
    1. I have the same problem with my Freebox, it would be nice to send me the patch.
      Thank you
    2. Month also I have the same issue of Windows closing with the Freebox. Does the patch work? can you send it to me?

      Thanks in advance and happy new year
      Frederic
  8. Hi,
    Sorry, as I asked to receive the responses by email I forgot to include it
    Email address removed Moderation CCM
    thanks again
    See you later
    1. Hi, does the patch you have work with Windows 98SE??
      If yes, could you please send it to me please.
      thanks @+
      1. Would you have the code for closing windows
        Email address removed CCM Moderation
        Does it work?

        Bruno
    2. the procedure that brown wolf outlined in detail proves sometimes very effective, to be tested absolutely.
      1. Same problem. if you could also send me this patch.

        Thanks in advance

        Email address removed Moderation CCMaol.com
    3. you must leave us your emails for the win98se patch.
      a++
      1. Please kindly send me the Windows 98 shutdown patch
        and if possible respond to my startup issue: msnp32.dll not found, since you seem to be good at this, which is not the case for me...
    4. Hello editor
      For the patch under WIN98SE, could you send it to the following address: Removed email address MODERATION CCM
      THANKS in advance
      For my problem, after extensive searching I notice that my issue comes from my Internet service provider via FREE's ADSL.
      Specifically from the FREEBOX. Indeed, when I cut the power to the Freebox since there is no switch, I can restart without a problem. however I always have a problem restarting Windows. The computer hangs on the Windows display "closing Windows". I am forced to shut down manually.
      See you later
      1. Hello, my Windows that I just installed on a Pentium 1 133MHz 64 MB RAM works perfectly except when I shut it down it stays stuck on the Windows shutdown screen and I have to force it to stop manually; I reformatted and reinstalled but still the same!

        A big thank you in advance! J-L.
        1. Hi,
          me too I have the same problem and I’d really like to have that famous miracle patch. Thanks in advance
          1. Hi everyone
            I also have a closing issue and I must admit that this famous "miracle" patch would be one of the thorns in my side removed.
            I also thank in advance the person who could send me this patch.
            1. need your email otherwise go to the microsoft win98 page
              the patch is named 4756us8 it is self-executing ciao
              1. It is enough to install a network card to solve this type of problem.
                • 1
                • 2
                • 3
                • 4
                • 5