Technics SU-500 Amplifier

Solved
Hello,

I have a question, why does my Technics SU-500 amplifier rated at 40 watts at 8 ohms heat up when connected to my Kenwood LSK 500 speakers?

Thank you.

Configuration: Android / Chrome 66.0.3359.126

10 answers

  1. Hi,

    Your speakers are 85 Watts RMS (true power) and your amplifier is only 40 watts.

    So you need to turn up the volume higher to properly power the speakers.

    The more power you demand from an amplifier, the hotter it gets.

    Moreover, it's no longer new.

    Have you tried removing the cover to see if there's any dust inside that has accumulated over the years?
    0
    1. Contributor
      hi,
      because it's simply getting old....

      unplug it and give it a blast of compressed air (or use an air blower), I think it will do it a world of good

      --
      the return II
      0
      1. And according to what I read online with the reference, it is not 40 but 30 Watts.
        0
    2. Do I need to switch to a more powerful amplifier?
      0
      1. Contributor
        for what?
        for "laying down a sound," or throwing parties, clearly yes!!!

        for "normal" listening at home, no

        air it out, that's all
        0
    3. Thank you for your responses,

      I would like to be able to have a party at 3/4 volume without having to turn down the sound because the amplifier overheats.
      0
      1. Contributor
        In that case, change the amp; it clearly isn't made for that.
        0
    4. Maybe you have a reference for my needs?
      0
      1. Contributor
        Well, uh, how to say, for parties, it's the whole thing that needs to be changed, because your Kenwood isn't made for that either...
        It's "hi-fi" equipment for home use, you'll never get good party sound with this gear.

        Then give your budget and others will respond better than me for the choice of sound equipment.
        0
    5. Thank you, but I already have a sound system,

      I’m just talking about turning it up at home, without the amplifier breaking down.
      0
      1. Contributor
        in that case, force the ventilation by adding a fan, but you'll need to tinker with it and it's at your own risk.
        0
    6. In that case, would an amplifier like a Kenwood A-54 be better?
      0
      1. Contributor
        more powerful and a little newer, so yes if it is in good condition
        0
    7. Thank you, and can the JVC AX-E900 do the job?

      Thank you for the responses.
      0
      1. Contributor
        same style as the Kenwood, so yes
        0
    8. Thank you for all your advice.
      0
      1. Contributor
        You're welcome and it was a pleasure.
        0
    9. Good evening!

      I'm bringing the topic back up, I just acquired a Kenwood KA 94, will it hold up better?

      (By the way, I'm selling my Technics amplifier)

      Thank you in advance.
      0