Evolution does not save my passwords

Solved
Hello,
I have set up 2 email accounts in Evolution, but the software cannot remember my passwords. Every time I open it, it asks me for my passwords and the "add this password to your keyring" box is indeed checked.
My distribution is Pearl.
I wonder if there is a problem with the password manager "keyring."
Thank you for your help.

10 answers

  1. Moderator
    Hello,

    Is the package
    gnome-keyring
    properly installed?
    If necessary, (re)install it.

    Good luck!
    0
    1. Hello, here’s what I did to install gnome keyring:

      pearl@scott-MS-7392:~$ sudo apt-get install gnome-keyring
      [sudo] password for pearl:
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      gnome-keyring is already the newest version (3.18.3-0ubuntu3+pearl5.0).
      The following package was automatically installed and is no longer needed:
      gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
      Please use "sudo apt autoremove" to remove it.
      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      pearl@scott-MS-7392:~$

      It seems to be installed, what should I do now?

      Thank you
      0
      1. Moderator
        Hello

        Here they suggest using Seahorse instead and checking that the default keyring is unlocked (in Seahorse: View > By Keyring):
        https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2211920

        It sounds more like an issue with gnome-keyring, than with evolution itself. Could you install Seahorse and verify that your Default Keyring is unlocked?
        Use View->By Keyring menu option in Seahorse (Passwords and Keys) to see your configured keyrings.


        Good luck
        0
        1. Hello,
          I just installed Seahorse and if I understand correctly, it replaces the keyring?
          I went to "view" and keyring is checked
          I opened Evolution, entered my passwords but it didn't save them.

          Thank you
          0
          1. Moderator
            Well, I've just looked and Seahorse is primarily used to store SSH and GPG keys (so it's not exactly a keychain). However, it does allow you to store passwords under certain conditions, for example, for Thunderbird.
            https://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/seahorse#thunderbird

            The solution based on Seahorse seems to come from here:
            https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME/Keyring#Passwords_are_not_remembered

            If we look at the last message in this discussion thread, we see that starting with a clean configuration resolved the issue. What I suggest is to first update your entire system, then create a new user (that way they will have a clean profile), and then test with this new user. If it works, it means there is indeed something in your current profile that is causing the issue. In that case, deleting your Evolution profile and the corresponding keyrings should solve the problem. If it doesn't work with this new user, it smells like a bug.

            The Evolution profile is stored here:
            https://askubuntu.com/questions/293696/where-are-the-evolution-data-files-stored

            The keyrings are stored here:
            https://askubuntu.com/questions/96798/where-does-seahorse-gnome-keyring-store-its-keyrings

            Good luck!
            0
            1. Hello,
              I created a new user and logged in
              I configured my address in Evolution and I have the exact same problem.
              I notice that the keyring window no longer appears in both user sessions.
              As if the keyring had been erased from the system...
              Maybe a lead...
              Thank you
              0
              1. Moderator
                Can you manage to launch gnome-keyring from a terminal? The three executables are:

                (mando@velvet) (~) $ apt-file list gnome-keyring | grep bin/
                gnome-keyring: /usr/bin/gnome-keyring
                gnome-keyring: /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-3
                gnome-keyring: /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon


                A priori, you need to first start the daemon, and then one of the first two executables.
                https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeKeyring/RunningDaemon

                In the first terminal, run:

                gnome-keyring --foreground


                In the second terminal, run

                gnome-keyring


                Report back any errors that appear.

                Good luck.
                0
                1. Good evening,
                  I think there's a problem; I can't launch gnome-keyring from the terminal and here's what the terminal returns:

                  pearl@scott-MS-7392:~$ apt-file list gnome-keyring | grep bin/
                  E: The cache is empty. You need to run 'apt-file update' first.
                  pearl@scott-MS-7392:~$ apt-file update
                  apt-file is now using the user's cache directory.
                  If you want to switch back to the system-wide cache directory,
                  run 'apt-file purge'
                  Ignoring source without Contents File:
                  http://packages.pearllinux.com/dists/rapturo/Contents-amd64.gz
                  Downloading complete file http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial/Contents-amd64.gz
                  % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
                  Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
                  100 31.7M 100 31.7M 0 0 1037k 0 0:00:31 0:00:31 --:--:-- 1044k
                  Downloading complete file http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/Contents-amd64.gz
                  % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
                  Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
                  100 18.5M 100 18.5M 0 0 1044k 0 0:00:18 0:00:18 --:--:-- 1053k
                  Downloading complete file http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-backports/Contents-amd64.gz
                  % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
                  Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
                  100 22674 100 22674 0 0 151k 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 151k
                  Downloading complete file http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-security/Contents-amd64.gz
                  % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
                  Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
                  100 13.7M 100 13.7M 0 0 1033k 0 0:00:13 0:00:13 --:--:-- 1044k
                  Ignoring source without Contents File:
                  http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial/Contents-amd64.gz
                  Ignoring source without Contents File:
                  https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/dists/stable/Contents-amd64.gz
                  Ignoring source without Contents File:
                  http://deb.opera.com/opera/dists/stable/Contents-amd64.gz
                  Ignoring source without Contents File:
                  http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/xenial-mate/ubuntu/dists/xenial/Contents-amd64.gz
                  pearl@scott-MS-7392:~$ gnome-keyring: /usr/bin/gnome-keyring
                  WARNING:root:could not open file '/etc/apt/sources.list'

                  No command 'gnome-keyring:' found, did you mean:
                  Command 'gnome-keyring' from package 'gnome-keyring' (main)
                  gnome-keyring:: command not found
                  pearl@scott-MS-7392:~$ gnome-keyring: /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-3
                  WARNING:root:could not open file '/etc/apt/sources.list'

                  No command 'gnome-keyring:' found, did you mean:
                  Command 'gnome-keyring' from package 'gnome-keyring' (main)
                  gnome-keyring:: command not found
                  pearl@scott-MS-7392:~$ gnome-keyring: /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon
                  WARNING:root:could not open file '/etc/apt/sources.list'

                  No command 'gnome-keyring:' found, did you mean:
                  Command 'gnome-keyring' from package 'gnome-keyring' (main)
                  gnome-keyring:: command not found
                  pearl@scott-MS-7392:~$ gnome-keyring --foreground
                  bash: /usr/bin/gnome-keyring: Permission denied
                  pearl@scott-MS-7392:~$

                  thank you
                  0
                2. Well, I deleted this distribution to replace it with a newer one.
                  Evolution is installed and I have the window to unlock the keychain that tells me: the password you use to log in to this computer no longer matches the one for your keychain.
                  Apparently, the admin password does not match the keychain password.
                  Can we cancel or modify the keychain password?
                  Thank you.
                  0
                  1. Moderator
                    Hello

                    In principle, to modify the configuration of a keyring, you need to have its password. Running the command
                    gnome-keyring
                    should allow you to unlock it and then change the password.

                    In terms of passwords, the keyring password is independent of the user's or administrator's password. If you recovered the keyring from your old distribution, then it's that old password you need to use.

                    If you can't remember this password or it doesn't work, you can always start over with a new keyring by deleting the files I mentioned here:
                    https://forums.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich-34668342-evolution-n-enregistre-pas-mes-mots-de-passe#5

                    More details here:
                    https://askubuntu.com/questions/65281/how-to-recover-reset-forgotten-gnome-keyring-password
                    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1154696

                    Good luck
                    0
                3. return......here's what I did :

                  scott@scott-MS-7392:~$ apt-file list gnome-keyring | grep bin/
                  gnome-keyring: /usr/bin/gnome-keyring
                  gnome-keyring: /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-3
                  gnome-keyring: /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon

                  scott@scott-MS-7392:~$ gnome-keyring
                  usage : gnome-keyring command [options]
                  commands : certificate-exception
                  import
                  version
                  scott@scott-MS-7392:~$ gnome-keyring --foreground
                  usage : gnome-keyring command [options]
                  commands : certificate-exception
                  import
                  version
                  scott@scott-MS-7392:~$ gnome-keyring
                  usage : gnome-keyring command [options]
                  commands : certificate-exception
                  import
                  version
                  scott@scott-MS-7392:~$


                  I can save my new password in the keyring

                  thank you for the follow-up
                  0
                  1. Moderator
                    Thank you and congratulations on your feedback!
                    0