INDESIGN error message

Hello,

I have a huge problem...

I created an InDesign file on CS5. I saved it.

But now when I try to open it, InDesign shows an error message that says:

“Error: InDesign will shut down. A serious error has occurred. Restart InDesign to recover your work in unsaved InDesign documents.”

I tried opening it with newer versions but that didn't work either. And of course, I didn't create a PDF to at least have the text...

Hoping someone can help me...

Have a nice day!

4 answers

  1. Contributor
    Hello,

    Try resetting the preferences. First, exit the software and then relaunch it by pressing the following keys simultaneously:

    Windows: Shift+Ctrl+Alt
    Mac: Shift+Alt+Cmd+Ctrl

    A dialog box will open, you answer yes and the prefs will be reset.

    Other than that, it is possible that you have damaged fonts in your doc.
    1
    1. Thanks for the reply!! :)

      Unfortunately, I can't reset... the window doesn't open... I'm working on Creative Cloud at work, is it possible to reset?

      And do I need to reset on the computer where I created the document or can I do it on another computer as well?

      Because I created it on my home computer (CS5) and now I have CC (work computer)

      Thank you very much
      0
      1. Contributor
        To reset in CC:

        https://helpx.adobe.com/fr/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html#Reset preferences in Creative Cloud.

        If you manage to open your file afterwards, I recommend creating a new document and not working on the corrupted one anymore.
        And above all, make a duplicate of the OK file, just in case...

        If worse comes to worst, send me your file (if it doesn't contain any personal information) in a private message, so I can check if it bugs on my end.
        I will save it in CS6.
        0
    2. So I'm having trouble finding my app settings on Creative Cloud... it's a nightmare... I'm sending you my file, no worries, it's a quick summary, just that I have my elements =) And yes, for sure you need to do a save as !! Totally agree with that =)
      0
      1. I found out why I couldn't find it... In fact, I never synced the cloud with my desktop, so I don't think I can reset it...
        0