IPod Restore Issue

Solved/Closed
I have a 30G iPod from the 3rd generation. I no longer have any music content even after restoring my iPod and reloading all the music on it! It shows 0 songs but 12G used, so where is it?

Thank you for your advice on this please
Configuration: Mac OS X Safari 419.3

44 answers

  1. Hello,
    I don't personally have an iPod, but I know a few cases of similar problems, (especially since the "Christmas gifts...").

    The origin of the problem may lie with the USB ports. The iPod Touch, like some other iPods, requires a Mac equipped with USB2 ports and not USB1.
    Sometimes connecting the iPod directly to the Mac instead of the keyboard resolves the issue.
    This iPod also requires Mac OS 10.4.8 or higher
    See this page http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60920-en#faq1

    These are just some thoughts, of course

    Best regards
    --

    Sanspseudo - Francis
    iMac G5 2ghz 2Go - OS 10.4.11
    18
    1. Thank you Francis, I don't have a Mac but it was nice of you to reply. I found it in the meantime (see above). Have a good weekend.
      0
    2. My iPod is stopped, it doesn't work. It charges but gets stuck... it won't turn on.
      0
  2. I'm having trouble, I don't know what to do anymore, please help me; when I restore, a few seconds later I get a message that says an error occurred 1604, I don't understand, thank you for helping me.
    9
    1. Have you tried what I describe in my response to Louis? (see a little further up) ... that's how I was able to restart my iPod Touch.
      0
    2. You should take a look at this side: http://zoneitouch.free.fr/index.php/2007/tuto/erreur-1604-restauration-ipod-touch-iphone/
      0
    3. Hello, I have a problem restoring my iPhone; I'm getting error 1603. How can I restore it? I uninstalled Apple Mobile Device and reactivated it, but it doesn't work. What should I do? I am completely lost, please help me.
      0
  3. Hello
    So here it is, I'm trying to format my iPod. When I connect my iPod to my computer directly and it gets detected in iTunes, a message appears saying "iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this iPod in order for it to be used with iTunes. You can also try disconnecting and reconnecting the iPod." So I've done that but with no results, it doesn't work. When I try to restore it, another message appears saying "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod in order for it to be used with iTunes."

    Windows XP
    It would be great if you could help me because I'm really lost and I don't know what to do.
    3
    1. Hi,
      To help people like me who had a message saying "restoration impossible, unknown error 1418" (iTunes 7.6.2.9; Windows XP): after following Apple's recommendations (appleipod.bat file, disabling the USB mass storage driver, reinstalling USB drivers...) and other steps (stopping the Apple mobile device service), I finally changed the USB port (from USB2 to USB1) and the restoration was successful! Note that under Mac OS X, the restoration worked fine. Bye.
      0
    2. HELLO, I reset my IPOD TOUCH and they told me to wait for 1 hour and now it's been 4 hours. When I connect it to iTunes, the iPod isn't even detected! What should I do? PLEASE HELP ME.

      0
    3. Je ne peux pas vous aider avec ça.
      0
    4. I'm in the same situation as you :s
      0
    5. I had the same joke, I reset it to remove the crack and the iPod won't turn on anymore. Do you have a solution? Thank you.
      0
  4. It is enough to have iTunes 7.6, regardless of whether you are on Mac or Windows. Try several times; if errors occur, press and hold the Home button and the power button for 10 seconds when the screen turns off. Keep the Home button pressed (the problem comes from this, as you must not release it too soon), so keep it pressed long enough. Also, try not to revert to version 1.1.1 as it will give you an error number 6 or number 1. So simply restore to 1.1.4 via iTunes over the network (errors may occur, but if you do it two or three times, you will get the iPod Touch firmware restored, and it will be like having a brand new iPod Touch in 1.1.4). If you have any issues, email address deleted Moderation CCM. I hope I have helped you. PS: I only help the French on MSN. =)
    3
    1. yeah I tried but it's all good figured out how to do it on a forum someone said this:
      *Hello everyone, I'm going to give you the technique to restore an iTouch that iTunes won't restore because there will be an unknown error 1604. The method is not complicated but it's true that when iTunes doesn't want to restore it can be a bit scary ^^, I've been through that. Alright, here we go:

      - First restart your computer
      - Then go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools and Services
      - Turn off Apple Mobile Device by right-clicking and selecting stop
      - Restart it by doing the same, right-click and Start
      - Plug in your iTouch and iTunes will restore it again

      There you go, I hope this helps some of you because it happened to me and no one could help me. Have a nice day wink
      2
      1. I was thinking of this answer:

        I've found the solution on a forum:

        http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1317866&tstart=0

        open iTunes
        -plug the iPod into the computer
        -hold both sleep/wake and home button until iPod restarts.
        -let go of the sleep/wake button when you see the Apple logo.
        -continue to hold the home button until iTunes pops up with recovery mode
        -click yes, and your iPod will be restored to its factory settings.

        So, the iPod Touch must be turned off and then:

        open iTunes
        -plug the iPod into the computer
        -hold both the sleep button (at the top) and the home button (the square at the bottom of the screen), as if to reset, until the iPod restarts
        -release the sleep button only when you see the small Apple logo appear
        -keep holding the home button until iTunes asks to restore the iPod
        -then start the restoration process

        iTunes has a backup of the songs and will therefore resynchronize. You will get all your music back on your iPod Touch.
        Good luck
        0
      2. I have the same problem as punkrocker31. But I just want to know if the solution you suggest can be used on a Mac?? If so, where can I find the control panel?!! :S :S
        Thanks in advance!!!
        0
      3. @juliiieHi,
        I don't have a Mac ... but do you need the control panel? When you connect your iPod Touch to the PC, iTunes automatically starts, right? From there you can follow my instructions to reconfigure as described above.
        Good luck
        0
      4. punkrocker31 you are my god I adore you even though I don't know you you saved my life
        0
      5. @MatsounetI tried to do what you described earlier (by pressing home and off and restarting the recovery... etc) but it didn’t work, the recovery window appears but after two minutes a new window opens with a message saying an error of type 1603... can someone help me?! Thank you!
        0
    2. Désolé, je ne peux pas accéder aux liens.
      2
      1. Renato,
        I know how to solve your problem!!! This afternoon I wanted to install the update, and the same thing happened, my iPod was impossible to restore so here’s what I did.

        1 Reinstall iTunes!!!
        2 Go to Start ==> then All Programs ==> then click on "Apple Software Update"
        3 Then update everything!
        4 Connect your iPod touch
        5 Launch iTunes
        6 Restore

        Normally it should be fine
        I hope it works! If it doesn't work, send me an email. Good luck!!!!
        2
        1. look with them

          http://www.podspital.ch/home.html
          0
          1. I have the same problem, all my music has disappeared
            I wanted to restore it and got an error message saying An unknown error has occurred (18)
            If someone could help us*
            0
            1. Hey Louis,

              I've found the solution on a forum:

              http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1317866&tstart=0

              open iTunes
              -plug the iPod into the computer
              -hold both sleep/wake and home button until iPod restarts.
              -let go of the sleep/wake button when you see the Apple logo.
              -continue to hold the home button until iTunes pops up with recovery mode
              -click yes, and your iPod will be restored to its factory settings.

              so, the iPod Touch must be turned off then:

              open iTunes
              -plug the iPod into the computer
              -hold down the sleep button (on top) and the home button (the square one at the bottom of the screen) at the same time, like for a reset, until the iPod restarts
              -let go of the sleep button only when you see the little Apple logo appear
              -keep the home button held down until iTunes asks to restore the iPod
              -then start the restore process

              iTunes has a backup of the songs and will therefore resync. You will get all your music back on your iPod Touch.
              Good luck!
              0
            2. @MatsounetThank you very much, dude, thanks to you it worked
              on top of that I was in deep trouble, it was the night before leaving for vacation
              anyway, you saved my life
              thanks again
              0
            3. @Matsounetnon cela ne fonctionne pas. Le fait de maintenir les touches pour avoir accès à la restauration n'amène toujours pas les problèmes à la fin erreur pas de restauration. Cordialement, phil26-55.
              0
            4. @phil26-55I turned the computer back on and then I used the technique of pressing the keys simultaneously and it worked (a stroke of luck or is it the technique, I don't know). Otherwise, I can advise you to reinstall iTunes but again I doubt I can solve your problem as my error was 1604. Sorry I can't help you further.
              0
            5. @phil26-55Otherwise, if your iTouch is still under warranty, bring it in and explain your problem because you have nothing to blame yourself for regarding this bug; it's due to Apple, so it's normal to return their product in case of an issue...
              0
          2. Hi Louis, I just had the exact same problem as you... unknown error -18.
            Have you found or received the solution yet?
            Are there others in the same situation?
            Thank you.
            0
            1. Hi, if you have a solution from someone, think of me because it's really very painful not to be able to do anything. Thank you, Phil26-55.
              0
          3. Hello,
            I replied thinking that you had a Mac, since... you are on the Mac OS forum.. ;-) and not on the Windows forum.
            But the main thing is that your problem is solved :-)
            Have a great weekend too
            --

            Sanspseudo - Francis
            iMac G5 2ghz 2Go - OS 10.4.11
            0
            1. It might be that, but it depends on the type of error. I had error (1604), in any case, Apple didn't help me at all on their site.
              -1
              1. It's weird; just a piece of advice, I don't know if it will work, try deleting the pieces from your iPod touch and try the restore again, otherwise look on other forums, sorry for not being of more help +++
                0
                1. I have exactly the same problems.
                  I have tried all these solutions.
                  None of them work.
                  Can you help me please?
                  0
                  1. try again it takes a lot of patience, I took 2 hours before restoring it
                    0
                    1. Well, how do you do it? For my iPod Touch (16GB):
                      - I connect it by pressing the "home" button;
                      - iTunes opens and asks me for a restore;
                      - I start the restore;
                      - The iPod eventually disconnects by itself;
                      - The restore is not completed;
                      - I CAN'T DO ANYTHING!

                      Thank you for your help, I can't take it anymore.
                      0
                  2. Mon iPod touch a un problème de restauration 1603. Aidez-moi, s'il vous plaît.
                    0
                    1. I just had the same problem (stuck on a still image), the 80GB iPod was entirely bugged, I fixed the bugs while waiting for the battery to run out and then it started working normally again.
                      0
                      1. For those who had this issue with a shuffle, I "tinkered" myself to find a solution ^^

                        Result: you turn the iPod on and hold the play button while you plug it in
                        0
                        1. thank you thank you a thousand times
                          0
                        2. @mystere_hGood evening, I have a problem with my iPod (Classic 80GB); my computer no longer detects it. I have tried several times to put it in disk mode without success. I have the latest version of iTunes, everything is up to date, but when I try to restore it, this message appears:

                          An iPod is detected but is not properly identified. Please disconnect it and reconnect it, then try again. An unknown error has occurred (2005).

                          I've tried everything, my iPod first displays the Apple logo on the screen and then a red cross; I followed the steps indicated on apple/support, with no progress except for this message. I own a Mac as a computer.
                          Please help me!
                          0
                        3. @Faust-iineI have exactly the same problem, my iPod Classic (80GB) starts restoring and after a while it stops and gives me an unknown error, it's starting to drive me crazy, I don't know what to do anymore.
                          0
                        4. @valI am responding for everyone who still has an issue restoring an iPod (like error 10xx)

                          1°)- try formatting the iPod under Windows (of course, if the icon appears on the desktop - I haven't tested the usefulness of this step, so skip to the next one if it's not feasible)

                          2°)- follow the steps below: https://support.apple.com/fr-fr/TS1539

                          3°)- try restoring the iPod again: I think it should work now.

                          @plus
                          TheCode

                          ps: let me know if there’s another problem.
                          0
                        5. My 8 GB iPod touch is stuck on a logo with iTunes and a USB cable
                          I tried DFU mode but it doesn't work
                          What should I do????
                          0
                      2. Bonjour, j'ai acheté un iPod mais j'ai fait une erreur, je l'ai branché sur XP, donc formaté, et maintenant je veux le mettre sur mon Mac et c'est impossible de le restaurer, il ne fonctionne plus que sous Windows. Que faire ?
                        0
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3