How to install software with VirtualBox

Hello,
I recently got Windows 8

I installed VirtualBox to be able to use software that only works on XP.
Once I installed VirtualBox, I don't know what to do.

I received the following message:

FATAL: No bootable medium found system halted

What should I do?

Thank you for your help

Best regards

Configuration: Windows 8 / Internet Explorer 10.0

--
Best regards
Guy

7 answers

  1. Hello

    You can "mount" the HDD where a copy of the software is located or mount the CD-ROM drive to execute the installation.

    Otherwise, simply drag and drop from the location where the software is to reduce the VirtualBox window to see both screens.
    5
    1. Hello,
      First of all, thank you for replying to me.
      I see the Setup file of my software in the explorer. I can drag it, but wherever I drop it in the VirtualBox window, I only see no parking signs.

      --
      Best regards
      Guy
      3
      1. Re:
        The setup alone is useless

        In the same way you captured the ISO to install the OS, stop VirtualBox, enter its settings, and mount the disk unit, hard drive, or CD-ROM where your software copy is located.

        Then start the OS from VirtualBox and look for the setup for installation.

        Best regards.
        0
    2. If VirtualBox is started, meaning that you have launched a virtual OS, you cannot enter the configuration.

      You will need to stop the virtual OS to be clearer in order to access it.

      Once in the VirtualBox configuration of the concerned virtual OS, you select depending on where your software to be installed is located, either to add a CD-ROM drive if your software is on a CD, or a hard disk if your software is on the hard disk where VirtualBox itself is located, or another visible hard disk.

      You start the virtual OS and find the CD-ROM drive or the hard disk in Start/My Computer under XP, Vista, 7, etc., with the software to be installed on it.

      All that is left is to start the installation.

      Best regards.
      0
      1. There is something I don't understand.

        I want to use software on W8 that only works with XP.

        If I use VirtualBox, do I need to have a disk with XP? Or is it included in VirtualBox?

        --
        Best regards
        Guy
        0
        1. Ok

          I thought you had installed XP using VirtualBox.

          Yes, to be able to use your software with VirtualBox, you need a copy of XP to install it virtually.

          This means you will have 2 operating systems on your computer, but XP will only be available by opening the VirtualBox console; that's what it's for.

          If your computer is not very powerful, it may not work, but you can use the license from an XP computer that you own if you have a copy of that OS at hand, to install it using VirtualBox.

          Only start one copy at a time; otherwise, Microsoft might detect the additional copy, or you can run both simultaneously but by cutting the VirtualBox network.

          Have you tried installing your software on Windows 8 in XP compatibility mode?

          Best regards
          Returned at 2:00 PM, enjoy your meal, and above all, don't panic; I'm sure it's very opaque, but we can clear it up..
          0
      2. Hello
        Here is my current PC:

        Model Acer - Aspire T180

        Processor AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Clocked at 2.40 GHz

        Motherboard Acer EM61SM/EM61PM - Bios R01-B3

        Chipset NVIDIA MCP61

        Memory 2 sticks of 512 MB + 1 of 1 GB

        Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 - CPU 425 MHz

        Hard Drive Hitachi HDT725025VLA... 238.88 GB

        Optical Drives HL-DT-ST DVD-RW8GSA-H41N

        Network Ralink corp. RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

        Network Marvell Technology Group Ltd 88E8056 Ethernet

        Multimedia NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 HD Audio

        To better understand what I want, here is the detailed explanation of my message:
        I bought and installed Windows 8 on the PC mentioned above.
        Before, it had Vista

        BUT....., I didn't think that I wouldn't be able to use my software "Weather".
        This software, I use it every day.

        http://www.archive-host.com

        1) I open my software, an interface appears.
        2) With graphics etc.....
        3) I export the data from the weather database into an Excel file.
        4) Then I work on Excel and close the weather software.
        I only use this software for 5 minutes.

        BUT.....if I can't do that with VirtualBox or something else, I would have to keep my old computer and screen just for that......ugh (no space).
        Otherwise, uninstall Windows 8 and put XP....ugh.....not possible.

        I do have a CD, but it's a CD to reinstall XP only on an old computer with XP Pack 2.

        Otherwise, how to make a copy?
        Generally, we have the computer without the CDs.

        Best regards

        --
        Best regards
        Guy
        0
        1. I struggle to understand people who stubbornly want to remain enslaved to Micro$oft and its various prisons.
          All these hassles do not exist under Linux.
          VirtualBox is not the easiest virtualization engine, but VMWare is no better and it costs money.
          Once you have installed VirtualBox, you need to teach it to recognize USB ports, for example, and for that there are applications to download from the Oracle website.
          Installing a guest system is not at all obvious or intuitive, and there are moments of frustration, but what a thrill when it works!

          It's not easy when you’re diving into this and it's not within the reach of novices who have never known anything other than the babysitter Micro$oft, which treats them like idiots and keeps them in subjugation.

          Switch to Linux, for goodness' sake!

          Happy New Year to all!*
          -2
      3. Re:

        Have you tried compatibility mode to install your weather software on Eight?

        Best regards.
        0
        1. Excuse my ignorance, but.....
          I admit that I'm not quite seeing

          Capture the iso.....,
          Mount, reader....
          Stop VirtualBox and enter its configuration, if I stop VirtualBox how do I go into the configuration,
          --
          Best regards
          Guy
          -1