Problem with the ./configure command

Hello,

So here I am trying to install a program compressed in .gz
but I can't run ./configure, it tells me:
"bash: ./configure: No such file or directory"

So if someone could help me, I would really appreciate it, thanks in advance
MartVv

5 answers

  1. Moderator
    To begin with, check that you cannot install this program directly via your package manager. If this doesn't ring a bell, let us know which program it is and which Linux distribution you are using.

    Next, the command "./configure" means to execute the (executable) file "configure" located in the current directory. This is probably not the case here. You probably need to do a cd to position yourself in this directory.

    cd /the/path/to/the/right/directory


    A link to help you:
    http://www.mistra.fr/tutoriel-linux-compiler.html#h3-compiler-une-application-ou-une-librairie

    Typically, it would look like this (changing toto to what it needs to be):

    tar xzvf toto.tgz cd toto ./configure make sudo make install


    Good luck
    0
    1. Contributor
      Hello,

      Dumb question, have you at least decompressed the ".gz" archive?

      --
      Zen my nuggets ;-)
      Do your part for the environment, close your windows and adopt a penguin.
      0
      1. First, thank you for your responses.

        Well, I use Ubuntu and I'm trying to install Floola (software to replace iTunes) which is not in the Ubuntu package.

        And finally, yes, I decompressed them.

        Thank you in advance for your responses.
        0
        1. and I think there is a syntax error in my command line:

          martvv@martvv-M50Vn:~/Downloads/Floola-linux$ ./configure
          0
          1. Contributor
            Re-

            There's nothing to compile, it's ready to use. Here's the content of the folder after extraction:

            $ ls -lh total 28M -rwxr-xr-x 1 jp jp 28M 2011-12-26 14:22 Floola* drwxr-xr-x 2 jp jp 480 2012-02-11 23:34 Floola Libs/ -rw-rw-rw- 1 jp jp 779 2007-08-02 15:59 Readme.txt

            You just need to run it from the directory:
            ./Floola

            ;-))

            --
            Zen my nuggets ;-)
            Do something for the environment, close your windows and adopt a penguin.
            0