NVidia Shield TV: update to 9.2.4 impossible

Solved
-  
Hello,

I have an Nvidia Shield TV on my TV, the classic tube-like model, with a 512GB SD card inserted (which I don’t use).

For months it’s been offering to “update to Shield 9.2.4,” but every time I try the update, it fails with the message “insufficient memory.”

What should I do?

Thanks!

5 answers

  1. Well, after 2 exchanges with NVIDIA Support, the issue was resolved and I’m sharing the solution here so it can help others:

    N.B.: Regardless of the size of your SD card, an update requires sufficient space on the main memory.

    Procedure to follow:

    1-.Go to Settings->Apps and uninstall as many apps as possible (excluding system apps obviously), typically those you don’t use.

    You will be able to reinstall them after the update if needed.

    2-.For each remaining app, clear the cache. So Settings->Apps->Show all apps->[select an app]->Clear cache.

    This must be done for every app.

    3-.Restart the SHIELD after you have freed up additional internal memory.

    4-.Once the SHIELD has restarted, retry the update.

    Note that for me, when I retook the update, the first time it showed the same "insufficient space" message: I pressed "retry" and it worked. It downloaded and performed the update.

    The update is quite long, as is the restart after the update, but it gets done.

    Also note that after this last restart, the TV shows a screen listing the "improvements of version 9.2.4" for a very long moment: don’t conclude that it crashed, and be patient.

    After some time, the SHIELD will display the usual screen with the full list of apps.

    There you go, I hope this helps others.

    Thanks and see you soon.

    3
    1. Moderator

      Thank you for the feedback!

      1
  2. Moderator

    Hello,

    If you haven’t saved any content on the ShieldTV such as videos, images, etc., you can start by deleting unused apps, or moving some of them.

    Some apps, especially those downloaded, can be manually transferred to the SD card via Settings > Apps > app name > Storage > Used storage, but the availability of the option depends on the apps. Those included with the system, for example, are generally not movable.

    If that doesn’t help resolve the space issue, it is possible to format your SD card as internal storage. It will be formatted then encrypted to work exclusively with the ShieldTV, which will expand its total storage space.

    To extend storage, go to Settings > Storage & reset, select the SD card, then the option to format it as internal storage. At that moment, all existing data on the SD card will be deleted.

    Once storage is extended, the update should start without any issues.

    Note that the SD card should not be removed or used with another device while it is serving as an extension of internal storage to avoid corrupting your data. It will need to be formatted as removable storage to be able to reuse it as before, as external storage.


    1
    1. Good evening,

      To bypass "insufficient memory," free up space on the Shield (uninstall unused apps and move data from internal storage to a microSD or USB), then restart the update to 9.2.4.

      If the problem persists, contact Nvidia support to verify the storage integrity and consider a clean reset while preserving your essential data.
      0
      1. < p>Uninstall unused apps and move data from internal storage to a microSD

        Uninstalling unused apps, I can do, but how to move data to the 512GB internal SD?

        Thanks

        P.S.: I have no essential data and the SD is empty since I never use it... I only use the Shield to access the Web, nothing else.

        0
        1. I asked Nvidia support, who asked for some information: it’s becoming surprising to have reactive support...

          0
          1. Moderator

            Please keep us informed of any updates.

            0