Barrette Locations

Hello
On an MSI B450 motherboard...
4 slots for memory modules.
Apparently, the manual recommends placing 2 modules using first the A group DIMMA2 (red slot) and B group DIMMB2 (red slot).
Why? Why not use the black slots DIMMA1 and DIMMA2?
Thank you

4 answers

  1. Hello
    I'm no expert, but I think the red slots are natively in dual channel
    which means they will work together provided that the two sticks placed in them are identical in brand and power.
    1
    1. Hi
      Thank you for your response, but I already knew that; I was asking why those locations rather than the others, given that they are both dual channel!
      0
  2. Contributor
    Hello
    the red slots should be used as a priority
    but you can put your two sticks in the two black slots
    the most important thing is not to put one stick in the red slot and another in the black slot
    0
    1. Hi
      Thank you for your response, but the question was: Why prioritize those slots? The other two are also dual channel, so what criteria does the priority depend on?
      Thank you
      0
    2. Contributor
      @strongrocktenAs "Nadellen" said, I think it's because of the design of the motherboard.
      0
  3. re
    it's like the ignition order of the spark plugs in a car (in a 4-cylinder)
    1-3-4-2 (generally) except for a few exceptions (Fiesta 1-2-4-3) and not 1-2-3-4 why?
    because it corresponds to a very specific cycle between compression and exhaust in each cylinder
    I suppose the principle is the same for computers even though, like with everything, there must be exceptions from one brand to another! Is it a matter of heat dissipation or some other reason? I don't know! But the principle is established in most motherboards.
    We would need someone knowledgeable in the field to explain this!
    0
    1. Sure, thank you for your responses, we may get a precise answer to this question one day :)
      0