How to change the theme in the R4?

Closed
Hello,

I've had an R4 for my Nintendo DS for several months now. I want to change the theme but I can't do it because when I click "select" in the menu of my DS, I go to _system_ and I find my images, but when I press on the images, a message appears on my DS saying "This file type is not currently supported."

I'm probably making a mistake when I put the images onto my R4. So can you explain to me how to change the theme?

(I know my explanation isn't very clear)
Configuration: Windows Vista Internet Explorer 7.0

10 answers

  1. Hi, here are the 5 steps to get your personal R4!!

    1st step:
    download one or more themes from www.ndsthemes.com

    2nd step:
    plug in your R4 and go to the _system_ folder

    3rd step:
    create a folder called "Themes" (it's very important to write it like this!) inside this folder, create a folder called "theme01"

    4th step:
    put your 4 theme images in the theme01 folder.

    5th step:
    unplug your R4 and put it in your DS. Open your DS. On the menu, press select and it will say: theme01.

    Note: You can have up to 12 themes. In your themes folder, you can put 12 folders. "theme01" - theme02 - theme03, etc..

    It's really cool and really simple! Good luck!
    15
    1. Hello everyone,

      I see I'm not the only one having this problem... I've done everything that's explained regarding the theme change... but SELECT doesn't work... what I mean is that when I press the SELECT button, nothing happens AT ALL!!

      .... I don't know if it's worth asking this question considering that most people who have asked for help on this topic (SELECT button) haven't received any answers....

      .... But I'm giving it a shot.... help please!!

      For your information, I have Kernel version 1.53 (R4DS Ultra English Version)... My calendar runs fine every month with a different theme but I can't switch to Manual mode...

      Thanks in advance!! ;-)
      0
    2. @kraken_888Well, here I am responding anyway (me who finally succeeded after an hour of struggling xD). I don't know if this topic is still relevant, but here we go ^^
      Create a "themes" folder in the system directory, then in the "themes" folder, create the files "theme01", "theme02"... (make sure to use all lowercase letters! That's how I got caught out ^^'). Then, you just have to drag the different themes into the various folders and you're good to go!
      I hope this can help some people solve their issues =)
      0
  2. Go to the website www.ndsthemes.com you will have the choice.
    3
    1. I have already been on this site, but the problem is putting the themes on the DS (actually on the R4).
      0
    2. @jennylolitamy msn so I can explain to you chr68@msn.com if you want
      0
    3. @chr68I'd love to get you on MSN, but right now I can't install MSN because my computer doesn't accept it :s

      So if there's a way you could help me through this forum, that would be nice.
      0
  3. Take a 4L Clan or a Savane, the Savanes are very pretty.
    0
    1. Hello, you go to the site indicated above, you choose the skin model you want
      you click on download, then you enter the same number and click no thank you, just download.
      After that, you install the file on your PC and decompress it with WinRAR, which gives you the 4 skins.
      You place the 4 skins (image) in the system folder on the micro SD, there you go.
      0
    2. @chr68Merci à toi, ça a été court et clair. J'ai fait pas mal de sites où ils expliquent plein de manipulations à faire sans que ça marche, alors que toi, ça a marché du premier coup, encore merci.
      0
  4. Hello chr68, are you signed up on NDS themes? Because I have a problem!
    0
    1. Hello!! I went to www.ndsthemes.com, I found the skin that suits me, I put it in _system_, and then I tried to select and set the theme... When I got to the "theme01" folder, I selected one of the 4 files (not counting the theme file, just the 2 backgrounds, the logo, and the thing on top). And I had the same problem as jennylolita (T_T):'(:'(:'(:'(... I'm desperate, I have version 1.18 R4, I don't know what to do, heeeeeelp please!!
      0
      1. I can't do it either, if someone could contact me at amine31600@hotmail.fr that would be great.
        0
        1. I advise you to stop overthinking; I created a website for all people like you that offers downloads of the latest R4 software. It explains in detail how to install themes and provides the specific site for all downloads: http://vinss95.blog.jeuxvideo.com/
          1
          1. Hello, it's me again! This morning I tried again to set up themes but without success. However, I noticed that when I copied the four images plus the "system" file (not in the "themes" folder), my theme worked! Can someone explain to me why?
            If I proceed this way, I can't have multiple themes! Can someone please help me!!!
            0
          2. I did everything and it says not support ext.URL
            so please help me, and I have the entire themes file and the four images, so help me, thank you.
            0
        2. with the 4 images, you need to include the file "theme" (this file provides the configuration parameters)

          for theme01, for example, you need to put the 4 images and this "theme" file in the folder

          )
          0
          1. Hi! I got an R4 the other day and I followed your steps! I created a "themes" folder in the system folder and in the "themes" folder, I made 10 folders with 4 images each + the "theme" file, but it doesn't work... select is not working either. What should I do?
            If anyone can help me.
            0
          2. @jbHello!

            I have the same problem, I followed all your advice, I went to the website mentioned above, I looked through the R4 manual on the official site, but I can't find anything other than the default theme!

            It's as if the select button is broken (except that it's not, it works for games on R4 or the separated ones). I want to point out that I'm using Linux (Kubuntu 8.10) and I sourced it from ndsthemes.net

            Thank you!
            0
          3. @Gothmog02for the R4 you need to install this program (R4_V1.18_FRENCH)

            for the themes to work, it is imperative that the images are in 256 X 192 format
            0
          4. @styxI've been paying attention to all of that, but nothing works!
            0
          5. @Gothmog02I have an R4 and I downloaded version 1.19 to play recent games, but how do you change the theme in this version?
            0
        3. I have the answer to your question and it's very simple:

          in _system
          in theme
          then theme01
          remove the content but not the folder for safety
          then replace the files with the files from your theme there you go^^ I hope I helped you^^
          0