DTI Taking
Hello everyone,
I just acquired a house and after long hours of research with the Orange tech, we finally managed to "understand" the telephone connections made by the previous owner, a complete mess with sockets in all directions but none connected to the DTI..
Anyway, the problem is solved and the Orange guy advises me to run a new cable since the current one is damaged and I risk having a lot of loss!
And actually, thinking further, I figured that since I'm at it, I might as well wire everything in RJ45 cat 5e/6 for a proper structured cabling network, I could place the sockets wherever I want for the TV, PC, etc...
But here’s the thing, before I make my little installation diagram, my purchases and my connections, I have one unanswered question...
The DTI from France Telecom is a standard Gigogne type DTI (T-shaped socket). Can I use it as it is to connect an RJ45 cable? Do I need to change this DTI for an RJ45 DTI?
Thank you in advance for your cooperation
Best regards
I just acquired a house and after long hours of research with the Orange tech, we finally managed to "understand" the telephone connections made by the previous owner, a complete mess with sockets in all directions but none connected to the DTI..
Anyway, the problem is solved and the Orange guy advises me to run a new cable since the current one is damaged and I risk having a lot of loss!
And actually, thinking further, I figured that since I'm at it, I might as well wire everything in RJ45 cat 5e/6 for a proper structured cabling network, I could place the sockets wherever I want for the TV, PC, etc...
But here’s the thing, before I make my little installation diagram, my purchases and my connections, I have one unanswered question...
The DTI from France Telecom is a standard Gigogne type DTI (T-shaped socket). Can I use it as it is to connect an RJ45 cable? Do I need to change this DTI for an RJ45 DTI?
Thank you in advance for your cooperation
Best regards
1 answer
-
ModeratorHello,
The phone line does not connect to the DTI output, which is a testing socket, but rather to a wire placed inside the DTI.
So you don't need to replace your DTI with a T, you need to connect one of your Ethernet cables into it. Or better, you will have female RJ45 ports for each room, and in the DTI, you connect a cable with a male RJ45 at the end that you will connect to the corresponding RJ45 for the room from your box.
On the left, the incoming phone line; on the right, 2 cables to distribute the phone line to 2 rooms via an Ethernet cable.
It's also important to consider that for Ethernet distribution throughout the house, the best place for the box is in the central unit at the start of the RJ45 outlets. In this case, you connect the ADSL line input of the box to the outgoing cable from the DTI (there with a male RJ11 socket).
Best regards
A stranger is a friend we haven't met yet.-
Thank you for the explanation.
So if I understood correctly, it's my Ethernet cable that will connect directly to my DTI? How do I know the connections for the wires? Because right now it's a regular telephone cable that needs to be connected, and I believe the colors are different??
For my installation, I was thinking of connecting my box to the DTI and then plugging my box into a 6/8 port switch to distribute the signal everywhere! This is to reduce the work and cost (since VDI boxes are not cheap...) is that sufficient?
Thank you for your help. -
@ReloadHi,
unfortunately not,
you didn't understand:
no ethernet cable in a DTI.
VDI cables connect wall sockets to the patch panel, the patch panel allows connecting the sockets to a switch or a telephone splitter or possibly to the DTI:
One must not confuse the DTI with the communication cabinet, the DTI is just the point of entry for the telephone line, replaced by ONTs in the near future, hopefully. -
I don't think I'm confusing the two...
The DTI is the entry point of the telephone line into the house, and it serves as a test point for the techs. The usable line, for connecting the box, is connected to this DTI branching from the incoming cable if I understood correctly?
The patch panel (also the communication cabinet? isn't it the same thing?), which is nothing more than a switch with more functionality? is used to distribute the signal throughout the house.
My house is not subject to the new regulations that impose this cabinet and outlets in every room; I just want to have a more efficient connection than Wi-Fi or powerline for my TV, console, PC...
In that case, I'm going to rephrase my question: which cable should I connect to my DTI to link my box to it? What outlet at the end of this T/RJ11/RJ45 cable can I use to connect my box with the least possible loss?
The rest of the network will be a simple local network without the need for a complex and extremely expensive cabinet... -
@Reloadno,
the patch panel is not a switch, just termination points.
to create a local network, you need to add a switch or the box.
where do you want to put your box?
in the communication cabinet?
In that case, a cut RJ11 cable between the ADSL port of the box and the DTI.
the communication cabinet encompasses everything.... -
Remove my doubt, a patch panel and a communication box are indeed the same thing? And it contains a switch for the internet/connectivity part, a TV splitter part, and a telephone part to connect your phone socket wherever you want independently of the box? So a "switch with more features" for me...
As for me, if you want, I will make my "home made" communication box and my box will be nearby. But there is 25-30m between the FT DTI socket and the place where my box will be and therefore the box? So would an RJ11 cable be sufficient?
-