Windows Update installation failed

Hello everyone,

Everything is in the title!
I've been desperately trying to install 116 important updates and 39 optional ones for a week now, but I keep getting an error message....

Before posting, I, of course, searched the site, but uninstalling and reinstalling the Framework does not change the Windows Update errors.

To note, I uninstalled via the NetFramework tool from Microsoft, then reinstalled Framework 4.5.1 followed by 4.5.2 (I tried hoping that upgrading would get everything back to normal, at least the Framework). However, I was able to update Framework 4.5.2

The fix-it procedure indicated here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources did not work either.
I ran Ccleaner several times without results....

Microsoft recommended SmartPCFixer to me, but the license is paid.
In itself, this is not a problem for me, but it still needs to resolve the issue, and I'm not sure it will work.

Thank you all for your help ;-)

Configuration: Windows 7 / Chrome 37.0.2062.120

15 answers

  1. Contributor
    Good evening,

    try this.

    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

    --
    Best regards exla
    1. Thank you Exla for the link :-)

      I proceeded to step 1 by downloading the file: Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components.bat

      Windows Update must have reset since the history is empty.

      But after launching "check for updates" I got the following message:

      Install the new Windows Update software
      To check for updates, you must first install an update for Windows Update. Your automatic update settings will not change.

      Windows Update then prompts me to install the update but the window closes and then reopens with the message:

      Windows could not search for new updates
      An error occurred while searching etc.
      Detected errors:
      Code 80070643: Windows encountered an unknown error

      When clicking on "Get help with this error" I am redirected to 4 results

      1. 1 Windows Update - error 8024200d
      2. 2 Windows Update error 80072efe or 80072f76
      3. 3 Windows Update error 80070008 or 8007000e
      4. 4 Windows Update, error 80240016

      Note that I have already tried these solutions but the only package I was able to download and install is Windows6.1-KB947821-v33-x64

      All the others indicate that they are not intended for my system.

      I will try options 2 and 3 from your link but I am pessimistic.... :-(

      Edit:

      I attempted option 2 and launched Fix-it as requested and I got the same error message...

      An error occurred while searching etc.
      Detected errors:
      Code 80070643: Windows encountered an unknown error

      Any idea?

      Thank you in advance for your help
    2. Contributor
      re

      have you tried disabling your antivirus?
    3. Yes, of course!

      What bothers me isn’t so much that some updates aren't happening.
      The problem is that my professional application provided by the post office (I am a retailer) can no longer update and therefore doesn't work anymore...
      MultiScreen isn’t updating either, by the way... and I don’t understand because this software doesn’t update by itself.

      From what I've read, error 80070643 corresponds to a Framework issue.
      But since I uninstalled and reinstalled it with a newer version, the updates worked.
      Right now, it’s the update for Framework 3.5 that isn’t going through, but we don't care since I’m on 4.5.2, right?

      After that, the updates that aren’t happening are mostly updates for x64 processors.

      But there’s still the issue with Windows Update....
    4. Well, while searching a bit more, I saw that the problem could come from Windows Live (I actually regularly have issues with Windows messaging)

      So I tried to install Windows Live Essentials 2012 as indicated here: https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/help/974061/

      BUT

      Windows Live Essentials 2012 informs me

      Unable to install these programs: Photo Gallery and Movie Maker, Mail, Messenger, Parental Controls, Writer, Outlook Connector Pack

      one of the installation files is corrupted
      Error: 0x80070002
      Source: D3DX10_42

      Getting help is highlighted but doesn't work.....

      In your opinion, if I put the installation CD in and click on repair W7, am I at risk of losing any data?
  2. Hello, follow step by step

    Laptop stays in AC mode not battery
    To facilitate exchanges between the Microsoft Platform and the machine
    Prefer an Ethernet connection rather than Wi-Fi
    Wi-Fi mode stay close to the Router

    1° Clean Windows Update errors
    2° Close all running programs only Desktop displayed
    3° Press the Windows key + the R key in Run type this cleanmgr press the ENTER key the process will start
    4° Uncheck only the Recycle Bin box if it is checked by default and check all other boxes
    5° Click OK to perform the cleanup

    to be continued.....
    1. A Framework can be repaired in INSTALLER; here the problem is that you still have 116 updates, including 39 optional ones, in the queue.
      The Framework will not be repaired.
      Is your Windows 7 on SP1?
      Exact update agent; by the way, if you go to Windows Update History, you will notice that this is the first normal update, which activates Windows Update.

      After disk cleanup

      1) Desktop displayed
      2) Press the Windows key and type CMD
      3) A black screen icon C:\ will appear; right-click on it and run it as Administrator, then confirm with YES
      4) After C:\Windows\System32> type net stop wuauserv and press ENTER; the goal here is to stop the Windows Update service.
      Be careful of the space between NET STOP WUAUSERV.
      The Windows Update service is stopping.
      The Windows Update service has been stopped.
      5) Exit the command prompt by typing this afterwards
      C:\Windows\System32>exit press ENTER
      The continuation.
      1. Press the Windows + R keys again, type optionalfeatures, then press the ENTER key
        find Microsoft .NET Framework
        blue box checked,
        disable by unchecking its box wait for Windows confirmation please wait ... a restart may be necessary
        continuing...
        1. 1) Desktop displayed
          2) Press the Windows key, type Update, right-click on it, then select Run as Administrator and confirm by clicking YES
          3) At the bottom left, click on Installed updates
          4) In the Microsoft .NET Framework section, uninstall all the Frameworks starting from the most recent date to the oldest, one by one

          Confirm the actions and wait for the uninstallation progress bars to complete for each Framework

          Next....
          1. Windows Update service is stopped, you will need to restart it.

            1) Desktop displayed
            2) Press the Windows key and type CMD
            3) A black screen icon C:\ will appear, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator, then confirm with YES
            4) After C:\Windows\System32>net start wuauserv, press the ENTER key
            The Windows update service starts
            The Windows update service has been started
            Attention, space between NET START WUAUSERV
            5) Close the command prompt by typing this next
            C:\Windows\System32>exit, press the ENTER key
            6) Desktop displayed
            Press the Windows + R keys again, type optionalfeatures, then press the ENTER key
            Find Microsoft .NET Framework
            Blue box disabled
            Activate it, check its box, wait for Windows to confirm, please wait... a restart may be possible

            Continued...
            1. The system will reinstall the previously disabled Framework via a new restart, and normally the other Frameworks that were previously uninstalled in Windows Update.

              Monitor its toolbar "Windows Update icon", then carry out the updates by clicking on them one by one in chronological order and install them one by one, prioritizing important updates.

              Press the Windows key, type this update, press the ENTER key, and carry out the updates.
              1. Thank you FISK for your help.

                When I follow the step
                Press the Windows + R keys again, type this optionalfeatures and then press the ENTER key
                find Microsoft .NET Framework
                blue box checked,
                uncheck its box to disable it and wait for Windows' confirmation

                I get an error message:
                An error occurred. Some features were not changed correctly

                The PC restarts and Framework 3.5.1 remains checked (the process is done twice and the same problem occurs if I refuse to restart)
                1. I have uninstalled all Framework updates as requested.
                  Namely, only one: Framework 4.5.2

                  At the command prompt:
                  after C:\Windows\Système32> net start wuauserv then press the ENTER key
                  The Windows update service starts...
                  I am informed that the service is already started

                  I suppose this is because the service is in automatic mode and it restarted when the system rebooted?

                  I am eagerly awaiting your help, especially to understand why I cannot disable Framework 3.5.1?

                  Perhaps it is necessary to uninstall and reinstall it using the NetFramework cleanup tool?
                  1. Hello FISQ,

                    This morning I reinstalled framework 3.5.1 but still unable to disable it.

                    I tried the manual reset procedure for WU components indicated here:
                    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources

                    Note that I tried skipping step 4, and since it still didn't work, I went through step 4....

                    As usual, Update-Fix finds no errors. And yet!

                    So,

                    In Microsoft's reset procedure

                    Step 4 does not work.
                    Command prompt message:
                    [SC] Convert String Security Descriptor To Security Descriptor Failed(s) 1336
                    Invalid Access Control List (ACL) Structure


                    (I restarted the procedure 2 times, same issue)

                    In step 5, I was able to rewrite a number of .dll files but encountered some error messages.

                    For the following commands:

                    regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
                    regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
                    regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
                    regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll

                    The error message is:

                    Module xxx was loaded, the entry point of RegisterServer was not found
                    Verify that xxx is a valid DLL or OCX file, and then try again


                    The other error message is:

                    Failed to load module xxx
                    Verify that the binary file is stored at the designated location or debug it to look for any issues with binary .DLL or dependent files.
                    The module could not be found
                    .

                    This message concerns the following dll files:

                    regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
                    regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
                    regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
                    regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
                    regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
                    regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
                    regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
                    regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
                    1. Service started then check the box in "optionalfeatures" for 3.5.1

                      Windows + R type this Installer then press ENTER
                      now how to find it
                      Hover your mouse over the icon and wait for a tooltip, do this for each icon until you find:
                      Title: Installation Database
                      Object: Microsoft Net Framework 3.5.1 or another Framework
                      click on it with the left mouse button then right-click to first repair it, if that doesn't work then install it, if that doesn't work then uninstall it, do this with the other Frameworks on your list
                      Note that those with a KB cannot be repaired but you can click on APPLY

                      Warning
                      There is a more radical way to completely delete the Framework folder from your registry
                      the effects on the system of a radical deletion of a Framework, no idea, I have never done this, only the Repair function in Installer
                      *Windows + R type this microsoft.net then ENTER double click on the Framework folder and delete the faulty Framework "V3.5"

                      PS: at the next restart Windows service will restart too

                      PS: Why do you have 116 pending updates?

                      Did you recently reinstall your system? Since a week you have had this problem so someone or something caused it.

                      Try system restore of course if you still have it in memory.
                      User of an optimization software could delete previous restore points

                      Windows + R then type this rstrui press the ENTER key
                      System Restore launched, click on NEXT check the box Show more restore points
                      target the date of the crash then choose a point prior to the day of the crash.
                      The day before or a few hours before.
                      1. Well, I finally found the Framework 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 files (no earlier vs)

                        Error messages for repairs/installations:

                        The component you are trying to use is located on an unavailable network resource.

                        Click OK to retry or enter another path in the box below to a folder containing the installation package
                        'netfx_FullLP_GDR_x64.msi

                        Use the source:

                        (I am suggested the following path)

                        C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\v4.5.50938\FRA\

                        Then I can either click browse (which returns me to Documents to search for the FullLP_GDR_x64 package .msi) or click OK

                        If I click OK a new window opens:

                        The path C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\v4.5.50938\FRA\netfx_FullLP_GDR_x64.msi is not found. Try another location and retry or try to search for the installation package 'netfx_FullLP_GDR_x64.msi in a folder from which you can install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 (FRA)

                        The repair or installation process cancels...

                        So I proceeded to uninstall in both cases.
                        1. The answers to your questions are in italics.

                          PS: Why do you have 116 updates pending?

                          My PC has been in sleep mode for almost 3 months, that's why

                          Did you recently reinstall your system? Since you've had this problem for a week, something or someone must have caused it.

                          No, I just updated my NVIDIA GeForce, but I think the WU problem was already there before.

                          Try system restore, of course, if you still have it in memory.

                          I've already checked, unfortunately all the points are after the problem....

                          Now that the files are uninstalled, can you tell me the reinstallation procedure? Starting from Framework 4.5.1 (the 3.5 is not intended for my system, right?)

                          For reference, I am on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

                          Thank you very much for your valuable help.
                      2. Here is the Framework download center for all versions
                        http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

                        Framework 3.5.1
                        http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29379
                        I have a 32-bit architecture with Windows Home Premium, so I have a security update for Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 X86, then 4.5.1 and then 4.5.2.
                        1. I had false hope, the WU window closed and waited a long time before reopening to display:

                          Error 80070643

                          So, to summarize my actions (to ensure everything was done correctly)

                          1 Uninstalling the Frameworks via Windows + R Installer

                          Restarting PC

                          2 Reinstalling the Frameworks, no programs, antivirus open, firewall disabled, only the desktop active.

                          - 3.5 (message saying already installed, is that normal since I uninstalled it in Installer?)
                          - 4.0
                          - 4.5
                          - 4.5.1
                          - 4.5.2

                          No restart between installations.

                          (Edit) Windows Update was running (I realized that at the end^^)

                          System restart followed by a search for updates

                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                          I wanted to restart the Windows + R Installer procedure but strangely there are no changes dated today.
                          I do have a Framework package 4.5.2 but with a modification date of 12-04-2014

                          Is that normal?

                          Maybe I need to reset the Windows Update register before acting on Installer?

                          What do you think?
                        2. Just like that.

                          When I search for updates, I'm told that Windows Update needs to be updated.
                          To download the update to install it (which causes the error)

                          Maybe it’s possible to do something similar for WU as for the Framework?
                          I mean repair or uninstall via Installer and reinstall WU in standalone mode?

                          The question is whether there is a Windows Update package? (I couldn't find one)

                          What do you think?
                      3. The error code may come from Office 2003, which ended its support on April 8, 2014. Uninstall it and then try again to install updates or repair Framework.
                        Press Windows + R type this microsoft.net then hit ENTER, double click on the Framework folder, enter the faulty Framework and delete it.

                        System restore doesn't yield results?

                        rstrui

                        The last solution will be to perform a system recovery, so back up your documents, then stay in sector mode and perform a factory reset from the Recovery Manager partition.
                        1. My tower is not on OFFICE 2003 but 2010

                          Sorry, but I didn’t fully understand your post...

                          What do you want me to uninstall from OFFICE?
                          The suite in Microsoft .net Control Panel under Installer?

                          Will the 2010 suite still be usable afterwards? (I absolutely need Excel, etc. for my professional activity)

                          The system restore offers me dates later than the problem, so that doesn’t help.

                          Doing a factory restore won’t help me either because I bought the components and built my tower myself. And since I can't find the Windows 7 Ultimate DVD, I'm in trouble.....
                      4. Hello,

                        A)SFC/SCANNOW command in Windows 7
                        Desktop displayed, close all running programs
                        2) Press the Windows key and type CMD
                        3) A black screen icon C:\ will appear, right-click on it then run it as Administrator and confirm with YES
                        4) after C:\Windows\System32> type sfc scannow and press enter
                        Make sure there is a space between sfc and scannow

                        B° Check disk
                        1) Desktop displayed
                        2) Press the Windows key and type CMD
                        3) A black screen icon C:\ will appear, right-click on it then run it as Administrator and confirm with YES
                        4) after C:\Windows\System32> type CHKDSK /F/R and press the enter key
                        Make sure there is a space between chkdsk and /f
                        and between /f and /r
                        C° Clear Windows Update history
                        https://forums.cnetfrance.fr/tutoriels-windows-7-8-et-autres-sytemes/277451-supprimer-l-historique-windows-update-7-et-vista

                        B°) this is the Office error code

                        Here it's for Office 2003 to fix it try the same process for 2010

                        https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/help/903772

                        Office, you installed it with a CD with a product code.
                        It is found in its Setup program, so if you cannot find the installation CD, do not uninstall it.
                        No complete Windows DVD to upgrade without formatting
                        You have a product key with 25 alphanumeric characters on the Tower.

                        Losing a genuine full Windows 7 DVD worth €100 or more is not very recommended.
                        1. Misplacing an authentic complete Windows 7 DVD worth €100 or more is not very recommended.

                          I confirm it's over €100 (from memory €249)

                          I don't have the number on my tower since I built it myself, I didn't see the point of removing the keygen from the box...
                          Now I do!!! (But I'm still hopeful to find it)

                          That said, I retrieved the key with Keyfinder.
                          But it doesn't help me since I can't upgrade or repair with an ISO on this version...

                          I'm trying your latest recommendations and will keep you updated.
                        2. Okay, try to find it, the precious key worth €250.