Windows 8 slow, 100% disk usage
Solved
Hello everyone!
I'm writing on the forum to ask for help: I'm going crazy, I can't figure out what's going on, but for the past few days my computer has become "slow" and it's lagging intermittently.
When I check the task manager, I see that disk usage varies between 10% and 100% every ten seconds, even though no "heavy" software is running.
I've run plenty of scans with Ccleaner, Spybot, etc... they've fixed a few errors but nothing works, my PC is still just as slow.
For your information, it's a DELL Vostro i3 3110M @ 2.40GHz 2GB RAM.
Thanks for any help that will be welcome!
Anthony.
I'm writing on the forum to ask for help: I'm going crazy, I can't figure out what's going on, but for the past few days my computer has become "slow" and it's lagging intermittently.
When I check the task manager, I see that disk usage varies between 10% and 100% every ten seconds, even though no "heavy" software is running.
I've run plenty of scans with Ccleaner, Spybot, etc... they've fixed a few errors but nothing works, my PC is still just as slow.
For your information, it's a DELL Vostro i3 3110M @ 2.40GHz 2GB RAM.
Thanks for any help that will be welcome!
Anthony.
86 answers
-
In fact, the answer is quite simple.
It's the "superfetch" service that is causing the problem.
Indeed, it is responsible for the extreme disk usage on Windows 8 because it performs an optimization task that is only beneficial if you have an SSD.
Enabled by default, this service can be easily disabled:
- run: services.msc
- in the list, find "superfetch"
- disable it and then reboot
If the service reactivates automatically, there’s a trick on the web
Does this resolve the issues?-
-
-
-
-
@RemiotHello,
A BIG THANK YOU, the disk usage went from 99% to 3% as soon as I disabled "superfetch."
Previously, I had reinstalled the system, even did a chkdsk, a sfc /scannow, Adwcleaner, Malwarebytes, and antivirus... but nothing worked.
I was fed up and then I came across this solution!
Here is the tutorial to disable it
http://www.pcastuces.com/pratique/windows/7/optimiser_ssd/page8.htm
-