FTP error 500

Solved
Hello,

For the past 15 days, I haven’t been able to transfer my files to my website hosted at free.fr. Each time I get a 500 error, you can’t come here. I changed my internet access from Wanadoo to AOL, and that’s when the problem started. How can I activate the firewall or delete the FTP address and replace it? Thank you for your help.

73 answers

  1. Moderator
    Access to Free personal sites FTP is restricted to French IPs.
    22
    1. I have the same problem as you and for now I have no solution. we’ll have to send an email to Free.
      -1
      1. Connected via Free, use votrelogin.free.fr

        Connected via another ISP, use ftpperso.free.fr

        Thanks to you Seb. Not better, and it works!

        When you are connected with an internet access provider different from Free, your X.free.fr username can cause problems; type in the FTP host instead:

        ftpperso.free.fr.

        At that moment, the connection with the host is accepted.

        Year.
        0
    2. I sent an email to Free, but there’s no response about this.
      -1
      1. I just saw this in the FAQ on Free's site:
        - FTP: I can't upload files to the FTP
        - To connect for the first time and determine any configuration error (firewall / router etc.), we advise temporarily disabling all firewall software and using the latest version of FileZilla in passive mode.

        I haven't been able to try it since I found it.
        I hope that's what isn't working (I hope so too...)
        1
        1. I did it and I disabled the firewall, but it didn’t work. So did it work for you?
          0
      2. Since when did you receive this 500 error message?
        -1
        1. Hello everyone

          a friend is having the problem I still can’t figure out how to fix, something strange is that I can access the FTP space without any problem (free) and he can’t get in no matter if it’s with CuteFTP, FTP Expert, or Leech FTP ????

          Is there any solution after all?
          -1
          1. Moderator
            AOL ---> that's the problem.

            Try another ISP, you’ll see that it works fine.
            -1
            1. i found the solution. but not from home, because i use AOL and free doesn’t accept AOL IP, so i went to an internet cafe, voila the miracle, it worked.

              so, the problem is AOL IP and Free,

              thanks for your help
              0
          2. Does the fact that he’s in Belgium pose a problem as well, my friend?
            0
            1. yes,

              since free does not accept "IP" outside France.
              0
          3. Hello,

            sorry but it must not have anything to do with not being in France, because I am in Lille, at Télé2 and I have the same problem. Every so often it will pass, but most of the time "error 500".

            So the answer is not "neither AOL, nor outside France". Let's keep looking... unless someone has a valid answer from Free, other than "it's your fault".
            0
            1. I received a response from Free regarding the problem; it’s the FTP content that disturbs them. I have several, and only the one with content that disturbs them (software storage) is blocked. They told me I could reactivate it, but the content might disappear. As of now, I still haven’t managed to access it.
              0
          4. Moderator
            Logged in via Free, use yourlogin.free.fr

            Logged in via another ISP, use ftpperso.free.fr
            21
            1. I don’t know if this discussion is still up to date… it is for me! I read the previous messages—no obvious responses. I’m adding a difficulty: I have 2 accounts and 2 sites on Free. It only happens on one of them… and the other one works without a problem at the moment.
              any ideas?
              -1
              1. Same for me: 2 accounts, 2 URLs. The first one works, no problem. The second one gives a 500 error. I have AOL as the provider/failure and it has nothing to do with my first account, which works.
                -1
                1. After inquiries: Free no longer unofficially allows us to have a site while using another ISP. For now they block the latest sites that are on a server other than the original server (I personally think they're victims of their success). Either we absolutely want to keep these sites and we must change ISPs or connect with the 'old' modem — or, what I did, we must host the site elsewhere! Personally, I looked for paid hosts (60 euros for a hundred MB) but eventually found 100 MB free on Voilà?fr
                  Only problem: we don't use FTP software, so updating is quite slow since we have to go to their site each time.
                  There you go, end of the story with Free!
                  -1
                  1. Hello,

                    You will probably find this strange, but I am experiencing the same issue and I am with Tele2. When I do FTP transfers from my college, I encounter no problems, so we should assume that Free also blocks Tele2 users.

                    Furthermore, I would like to know if there is a way to make Free believe that we have another IP address.

                    Thank you for the answers you have given me so far,

                    Goodbye
                    -1
                    1. P.S. small: Moreover, I don’t know why before I could do FTP transfers, but what is certain is that I can’t do them anymore.
                      -1
                      1. I think the problem with Free is more troublesome than expected—after 10 days of being unable to connect, it’s working again! If you don’t update your site often, leave it on Free!
                        no long-term solution, I’m afraid. I ended up reconnecting my old modem and it worked flawlessly....
                        Take heart!
                        -1
                        1. As for me, I still can’t make my transfers to the free.fr “ftpperso” anymore for a month now. But I have a friend with me in the same city and he doesn’t have the slightest problem with the transfer … and I live in Morocco lol.
                          -1
                          1. Hello,

                            My problem persists! I’ve been dealing with it for 3 weeks and I’m with Neuf.
                            I have two sites on Free; one works perfectly, the other is the one being blocked.

                            I wanted to tell you about it, especially since there’s indeed no way to talk with Free... They’re not likely to have me as a customer!
                            0
                        2. Well, for me too, same problem, I have AOL, and I want to transfer my files to Free, but it doesn’t work, error 500, and yet I’ve tested everything! Leech FTP, FTP Expert, FontPages2000, Dreamweaver MX... And many others! Still the same! Error 500! It annoys me especially since I run a band's site, and I need to update it as often as possible, so I’m forced to hand my folders to a friend so he can publish them! In short, it’s chaos... But what’s certain is that I’m going to take the Free Box, but I still have to wait at least 1 year, so I really need to find another way than giving the files to a friend! HELP ME... I’m desperate!
                          0
                          1. I have AOL, it works for two accounts that were created more than a year ago, but it doesn’t work for a recently created account.
                            0
                            1. same problem, my ISP is Tele2, Free must block other IPs than Free, yet they say that one can connect with other IPs via ftpperso.free.fr
                              0
                              1. I use Télé2, and I have a site that I must be the only one to access (great!) from home, and essentially the backend.php3 file of spip. I noticed in the access stats that there were 25% connections coming from Sweden... And Télé2 is a Swedish company to begin with. I conclude that sometimes Free's servers misidentify me as Swedish.

                                So does Free filter by origin countries or by originating ISPs? In the first case I would have a 1 in 4 chance to connect...
                                0
                            • 1
                            • 2
                            • 3
                            • 4