Unable to download Acrobat Reader

Hello everyone,

I have Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3. After a Zlob attack that I cleaned up well, my Acrobat Reader 8.1.2 started malfunctioning. As a result, I can no longer read PDF files or watch any videos on YouTube because I can't download Flash Player properly. I've tried several times to download the latest version (Flash Player 9), the site tells me it’s downloaded successfully but the Adobe Flash Player Plugin icon that appears on the list of programs in my Control Panel has a little red X in the corner and no size in MB...

To continue, I consulted forums that suggested uninstalling Acrobat and downloading it again afterward. Like a good soldier, I uninstalled Acrobat from my computer and now I can't download it from anywhere!!! Every time I try to do it, I get a weird error message telling me that my computer is running Windows 2000 (!!??) and that I need to upgrade my computer to Windows 2000 SP 4 (!!??) in order to download Adobe Reader 8.1.2. I don’t understand this story at all and would like to know if anyone could help me...

As a side note, I downloaded Foxit Reader to read PDF files; I was still able to download Adobe Air and Adobe Media Player (which did not resolve my problem with watching videos on YouTube!!). And in case someone thinks to ask me, I have Java properly installed on my computer (even got the latest update!!, yes sir!)

So... HELP!!!!!!!

AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

CP12
Configuration: Windows XP Internet Explorer 7.0

74 answers

  1. Re cat,

    forget it,

    1--for backing up your files, burn them to DVD if you don't have an external drive.
    also check if you have any installation programs on your disk for which you don't have the CD-ROM
    also the utilities and drivers for your computer.
    take your time before formatting to not forget anything.
    normally, you should look in the folders located at C:\xxxxxxx
    as well as under C:\windows\xxxxxxxx

    2--for formatting, it's quite simple, during the installation from the XP CD-ROM
    see the link ---- section --- Formatting for reinstallation
    http://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/sujet 543 formatage formater un disque dur#formatage disque dur xp ou autre sous dos

    3--you don't have anything to uninstall, XP will overwrite everything on the disk
    4--once the installation is complete, install your antivirus + spybot + updates
    then update XP + SP3 + IE7
    and you're good to go
    good luck
    see you
    BOB3
    0
    1. M-213

      Re BOB,

      It's okay. I printed the information from the link you gave me. I will save my files on CDs and then I will format my hard drive.

      Thanks for your help!

      cat
      0
    2. Hi BOB!

      Back from my vacation... And still connected with my XP CD-ROM....

      I couldn't even format my hard drive with the CD-ROM. I received a blue screen every time I tried and couldn't continue....

      Yet I followed every one of your instructions to the letter and those from the link you left me on July 17!

      I also backed up everything important beforehand...

      I don't know what to do anymore!.....

      If you could help me....

      See you later

      catpeople12
      0
    3. @catpeople12Hi cat,
      hope you're having a good vacation....

      Go into the BIOS and change the boot priority ---> set CD-ROM to 1, hard drive to 2
      Put your XP CD in the drive, and when it starts, check this detailed link to see if it can solve the problem.

      make sure the disk doesn't boot before the CD-ROM

      https://www.astucesinternet.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=147

      See you soon
      BOB3

      P.S. ONCE THE INSTALLATION IS FINISHED, CHANGE THE HARD DRIVE TO 1 AND CD-ROM TO 2 IN THE BIOS.
      0
  2. Re cat,

    reboot your computer to see the result, and if you can run programs again without error messages.
    see you
    BOB3
    0
    1. M-211

      Re BOB,

      I rebooted and the only program that opens without issues is %temp% in the Run menu. All the others are the same (Open with menu asking what to open it with)

      I take it that it didn't work?

      A+

      catpeople12
      0
  3. Re cat,
    let's try one last maneuver before resorting to formatting,

    if you can, launch ---- ERDNT.EXE
    IF IT WORKS IT WILL RESTORE TO THE DATE OF JULY 07
    we'll see if it works
    see you
    BOB3
    0
    1. M-209

      Re BOB,

      I launched ERDNT.EXE and as I went along I received error messages telling me that the files one by one could not be restored, but I always clicked yes despite that. In the end, the file told me that the restoration was complete.

      Did I do well?

      A+

      cat
      0
  4. Re cat,

    tell me what's in C:\WINDOWS\ERUNT\

    file names + dates

    you don't need to compress for the backup, just make a backup on one or more DVDs

    see you
    BOB3
    0
    1. M-207

      Re BOB,

      Here is what is in ERUNT: All the files inside have a creation date of Monday, July 07, 08

      default
      ERDNT
      ERDNT.EXE
      ERDNT.CON
      ERDNTDOS.LOC
      ERDNTWIN.LOC
      find
      report
      sam
      security
      software
      system

      A+

      cat
      0
  5. Hello cat,

    I noticed that you have XP Pro,
    we will try one last manipulation before formatting and installing everything.

    Go to C:\windows\erdnt\

    Check inside, you should have 11 files,
    just give me the date of the files
    see you later.
    0
    1. M-204
      Re BOB,
      I can't find C:\windows\erdnt but I found C:\WINDOWS\ERUNT. \erdnt doesn't exist on my system.

      Is it ERUNT that you wanted me to find?

      A+
      cat
      0
  6. Re cat,

    in that case, save your working files, and reformat your disk
    the most radical method,
    and reinstall on a healthy drive.
    don't forget that repair doesn't mean getting rid of the viruses or other crap left on your machine.
    in my opinion, I already told you, it's the launch of Kaspersky that messed everything up, I think it was infected,
    and not the fact that you messed up the registry.
    we tried everything, but I think a fresh install will allow you to start off on the right foot.

    have a good evening
    BOB3
    0
    1. M- 202

      Hello BOB,

      How and where can I save my work files? My integrated backup tool won’t open (the infamous "Open with" menu keeps asking what I don’t know how to do) and I don’t know how to proceed. The CD-RWs I have only hold 700MB each.
      Then, how do I reformat my hard drive?
      If Kaspersky is infected, do I need to uninstall it and then reinstall it afterward?

      Thank you for your answers!

      See you!

      catpeople12
      0
    2. M-202 (1)

      Re BOB,

      I am currently compressing all my important files with 7zip. I will then send them to myself via email (hoping it will work well) to reinstall them on my system once I have reformatted my hard drive. I found an article on 01.net that provides step-by-step reformatting instructions. I will try to reformat if I have time today; otherwise, I will do it in August.

      For now, I am compressing and sending all my files to myself. It takes a long time!! I didn't know...

      See you later

      catpeople12
      0
  7. That's right cat,

    don't get confused

    you ask him to install, and then to repair

    see you later
    BOB3
    0
    1. M-199

      PHEW!

      Thank you BOB!!

      I'm going to go for it and if it works, you’ll know by tomorrow morning.

      I’ll leave you for the evening and thank you so much!

      SEE YOU TOMORROW, FINGERS CROSSED

      catpeople12
      0
    2. M-199 (1)

      Last message for the BOB evening

      TOTAL FAILURE!!

      I started everything as it should. CDROM set as 1st Booting Device
      Press any key to continue
      Windows installing components
      I have the option and I hit ENTER to Install
      Second screen where there's no choice but to hit ENTER again for Installation

      And then, BLUE SCREEN that read:

      A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

      The problem seems to be caused by the following file: setupdd.sys

      PAGE_FAULT_IN_NOPAGED_AREA

      (I'll spare you the advice to restart the computer and contact the vendor if it happens again)

      Technical information:

      ***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE1121748, 0x00000000, 0xF77EF9A8, 0x00000001

      *** setupdd.sys - Address 777EF9A8 base at F77c800, DateStamp 41107c8F

      There you go, BOB!

      Tomorrow I'll reconnect but I won't have much time. I need to finish getting ready for my vacation trip (lots to do!!!).

      I'm leaving from Friday, July 18 until August 2 and the people who will be at my place during my vacation know nothing about this problem and that's just fine.

      So, if we don’t figure something out with this computer tomorrow, we'll have to wait until my return, after August 2.

      Have a good evening and see you tomorrow BOB

      Best regards,

      catpeople12
      0
  8. Apparently cat, your system is down in the dumps

    there remains the radical solution,

    you look at this link, and you pay very close attention to the repair procedure

    https://www.thesiteoueb.net/faq-astuces/fiche-pratique-42-comment-reparer-windows-xp.html

    important excerpt
    Insert the XP CD and boot from it at startup. In the menu that appears, click on "install". Windows will check your system and then you will have the option to repair. Be careful not to choose the "R" option the first time but rather the second time when you click "install". All you have to do is click on it and follow the instructions displayed.
    normally it should work,
    see you later
    BOB3
    0
    1. M-197

      I'm going for it BOB.

      BUT FIRST I WANT TO CHECK WITH YOU: If I understood correctly, I'm going to set the CD-ROM as the 1st booting device first, then I'll "start the machine" and I'll choose INSTALL in the menu that appears instead of REPAIR

      It's only after Windows has checked my system and asks me again that I will choose REPAIR.

      Can you confirm if I got everything right PLEASE?

      I don't want to add another mistake to all the ones I've already made!

      THANK YOU for your URGENT response so I can get started quickly!

      See you later

      catpeople12
      0
  9. Re cat,

    it should be good if you have 525MB

    retry the process: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\WINNT32 /unattend

    copy and paste without spaces at the beginning or the end

    see you
    BOB3
    0
    1. M-195

      Re BOB,

      It's not working either without spaces, neither at the beginning nor at the end.

      The error message now includes /unattend, that's all.

      And it says it can't find...

      a+

      cat
      0
  10. Re cat,

    go see in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\
    what's there

    normally you should have more than a gig of files
    a+
    bob3
    0
    1. M-193

      VERY Bad News BOB!

      In this folder, there are only 524 MB!........Inside, there are two folders: one named i386 which is 521 MB and the other named ServicePackCache which is 3.15 MB and contains another i386 folder.

      What could possibly have happened?!!! How could I have lost all these files?!!..... I assure you that I've never touched anything in there. Anyway, I never go where I don't know anything... I never mess around with my computer except since the incident that brought me to this Forum.

      It keeps getting worse with the bad discoveries...... I'm really discouraged!

      A+

      catpeople12
      0
  11. Re cat,
    sorry, I have to leave,

    if you can run Runscanner,
    you open it and go to history / backup to restore the keys you deleted,
    otherwise
    if you can wait until Tuesday,
    if not try to repair with the XP CD, boot from your CD-ROM
    and use the repair function,

    Have a good day
    BOB3
    0
    1. RESPONSE TO MESSAGES 137, 138, 139

      Hi BOB,

      In response to your message 137:

      I messed with the batfile, cmdfile, comfile, and exefile keys where I didn't follow all of your instructions by mistake. After that, I lost access to the registry and any programs.

      In response to message 138:

      Yes, everything shows up on my desktop when I start - icons and taskbar (Kaspersky is not activating anymore, though).

      In response to your message 139 :

      I'd rather wait for you until Tuesday BOB. I'm really afraid of messing up my computer even more. I will borrow this one to communicate with you so we can try to fix what I did together. It's in the same room as mine, so it will be easy.

      I wish you an excellent weekend and I'll see you on Tuesday!

      Kind regards,

      cat
      0
    2. Preliminary Message to your help tomorrow, Tuesday, July 15:

      Hi BOB,

      I hope you had a good weekend!

      Nothing is fixed yet, yet I'm writing to you from my computer! I will explain how I managed to do it, but first:

      I - What I tried to do before accessing the forum:
      I tried to repair XP with my CDROM and it didn't work. I set the CDROM as 1st Booting Device, restarted the computer with the CDROM inside and the installation started fine. Then it asked me to type R to repair the system. I did that, and the repair console (DOS window) asked me to type "exit" to restart the computer. I waited to see if the repair continued but I still had the console waiting for me to type "exit". After about 5 minutes, I ended up typing "exit", the computer restarted and I was back to square one; that is, I can't open anything because that infamous dialogue window pops up and asks me which program I want to use to open any function I try to operate...

      II - How I accessed the Forum:
      Through the CDROM, I went to the Check System Compatibility function, then to Visit the Compatibility Website, and I accessed the XP site. From there, I went to my browser's favorites and that's how I was able to access the Forum to write to you.

      III - Status of the computer at startup:

      1 - When I turn on my computer, my desktop, with my wallpaper and all the icons on it opens.

      2 - In the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen, there is only the Network Connection icon, which seems to work, the Open Office icon and the icon to eject a device safely.

      3 - In the quick launch menu next to the start menu at the bottom left of the screen, there is the desktop icon, the IE7 icon, the Windows Update icon, Gimp, Win Media Player, and Beneton Movie GIF (?) but if I click on any of these icons, that infamous dialogue window asks me which program I want to use to open them.

      4 - And Kaspersky is not activated, which worries me A LOT!

      I hope these elements will help you see a bit clearer in this story...

      See you tomorrow!

      cat
      0
    3. @catpeople12Hi cat,

      I saw your messages,

      one important question,
      I sent you a procedure to fix exefile.reg
      see message n°134
      have you been able to perform the procedure to merge exefile.reg?
      see you later
      BOB3
      0
    4. @BOB3RESPONSE MESSAGE 142

      Hello BOB!

      I'm connected from my computer with my CDROM XP as I explained in my preliminary message yesterday, Monday.

      As for the operation in your message No. 134, I took a .txt file that was in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer. I followed your instructions, but when I right-click on it, Merge doesn't appear anywhere...
      The file was a log called brndlog which is still there but has the info from the new file exefile.reg. Now there is the same content in brdlog.txt and exefile.reg

      I don't know if I did it right.... I don't feel like it since I still can't access anything with Run, which always asks me which program I want to use to open what I'm trying to open.

      What should I do please? I'm a bit lost....

      Thank you for your reply!

      cat
      0
    5. @catpeople12Hello cat,

      I clearly explained to you in 134 that the file xxxx.txt that you are going to empty, you should save it as exefile.txt. However, if I understand correctly, you completely overwrote the brndlog.txt file with your action, while the information in it is important for Internet Explorer.
      Check in the same folder to see if it generated a brndlog.bak file.
      See you!
      BOB3
      0
  12. Re cat,

    I've looked at the Kaspersky report,

    I think the problem comes from there,
    in his report he must have blocked several functions of the system,

    excerpt

    discovered: application presenting a potential risk Hidden data sending The process: C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe
    discovered: application presenting a potential risk Hidden data sending The process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    discovered: application presenting a potential risk Hidden data sending The process: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    discovered: application presenting a potential risk Invader The process: C:\Program Files\RegCure\uninst.exe
    discovered: application presenting a potential risk Hidden data sending The process: C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\helpctr.exe

    you need to explain to me,
    when you start Windows,
    does it show your desktop and your icons + taskbar at the bottom,

    a+
    BOB3
    0
    1. Hello cat,
      in the registry
      did you touch anything other than ----->exefile

      see you +
      BOB3
      0
      1. Re cat,

        I know it's not easy when you're not used to it,

        first of all, make a new restore point before doing the operation I sent you in 134

        and be careful and take your time to replace all the keys I sent you

        at the end, run Runscanner to check if there are any hieroglyphs
        because every space, comma, uppercase, and lowercase letter matters

        good luck bob
        BOB3

        P.S. put your answers, if I have a moment I will reply with my Blackberry,
        I will be back around the 15th
        0
        1. Re BOB, (RESPONSE TO MESSAGE 135)

          It's a DISASTER!!!

          I connected to another computer in the house to write to you and I should do it again tomorrow if that's okay with you.
          Thank you again for your help BOB!

          Here is the situation with my computer:

          NO PROGRAM wants to open! The computer keeps asking me which program I want to open it with and as I told you, I don’t know. I tried with notepad for regedit.exe but there are only hieroglyphs....

          I do not have permission to enter any folder in the Control Panel...

          The computer shows the icon "connected to the Internet" but when I click on the IE icon, a certain iexplore.exe tries to download and the editor is not recognized... And the computer goes back to the same point; asking me which program I want to open anything with... So I can't connect to the Forum with my computer...

          I have tried the following things WITHOUT ANY SUCCESS:

          1 - System Restore (re-dialog box asking me which program to open it with) and I cannot enter. There is an error message telling me that a device is damaged or non-existent...

          2 - Restarting in Safe Mode and booting with the last known good configuration (Everything restarts except Kaspersky and I still have no access to ANY program, just like before...

          3 - I put my XP CDROM to reinstall everything in normal mode, then in safe mode, then back in normal mode and NOTHING HAPPENS... No installation reaction after 10 minutes of waiting...

          4 - CCleaner: same old story, "which program do I want to open it with"

          I hope I didn't mess anything up by misunderstanding your instructions! The problem started when I went to check the registry to modify the value HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT exefile (your message No. 117) and I closed without completing the other instructions that I accidentally skipped.

          That's it!

          I will connect from the other computer tomorrow.

          Good night!

          cat
          0
      2. Re cat,

        don’t panic
        you will copy what I send you into a file that you will name -----------> exefile.reg

        look for a small file on your computer with extension xxxxxx.txt
        you open it, you empty it,
        and you copy all the text at the bottom starting from Windows
        and you paste it in there, and you reduce the empty space at the bottom
        you close it and you name it >>>>> exefile
        it will save as exefile.txt
        you rename it exefile.reg
        you right-click on it, then Merge
        and that's it

        ___________________________________________________________________________________________
        Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
        @="Application"
        "EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
        "TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion"
        "InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size"

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
        @="%1"

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
        "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
        @="\"%1\" %*"

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
        @="\"%1\" %*"

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
        @="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
        @="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page]
        @="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

        ________________________________________________________________________________

        let me know if it worked
        a+BOB3
        0
        1. Re cat,

          I advise you to close Runscanner
          you stay in the registry and go down gradually to spot the keys

          you close it and then launch Runscanner again to check if it's okay

          N.B. YOU MUST FOLLOW TO THE LETTER WHAT I SENT YOU
          capital letters, lowercase, spaces, etc...

          take your time
          see you later
          BOB
          0
          1. RESPONSE MESSAGE 129

            Hello BOB,

            I have closed Runscanner.

            But I can NO LONGER access the registry from anywhere...

            See you later

            cat


            N.B. I copied/pasted what you gave me except the numbers but I was careful
            0
          2. RESPONSE 2 TO MESSAGE 129

            Re BOB,

            It's getting late, I'm taking up too much of your time and it bothers me because I feel like I'm imposing...

            Would it be serious to pick this up again tomorrow or whenever you can?

            I will do as you decide.

            Looking forward to your response,

            Best regards,

            cat
            0
          3. REPLY 3 TO MESSAGE 129

            Last message for today BOB! (PROMISE!)

            I'm going to leave you alone for the evening.

            It's Friday night, it's past 9 PM, you probably have other things to do, and I'm bothering you again...

            I'll check in tomorrow late morning to see if you left me anything.
            (If I don't find anything, I'll try to find a solution. I need to be able to access regedit again and I'm too tired to search now. )

            Have a good evening and sorry for the nonsense I most likely caused!

            cat
            0
        2. No panic,

          you launch regedit.exe

          you click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
          TO EXPAND EVERYTHING

          YOU SCROLL DOWN WITH YOUR CURSOR TO FIND ----->exefile

          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          your answers should be in a row, don’t put answers in back and forth, specify in your reply which number it corresponds to from me, it avoids going up and down and is the best way to forget an answer,

          were you able to fix HELP IN 121

          DO NOT DELETE DEFAULTS
          YOU PUT IN FRONT OF IT THE VALUES I GAVE YOU

          example --- scrfile
          (default) Screensaver

          DON'T MESS UP, OPEN 2 PAGES OF THE SAME POST TO READ, CREATE KEYS, AND COPY PASTE
          A+
          BOB3
          0
          1. REPLY TO MESSAGE 127

            Re BOB,

            I tried to open regedit.exe but I can't even access it from the Run menu... The computer keeps asking me which program I want to use to open it... And I don't know....

            So I'm a bit panicking...

            We'll start first with accessing regedit.exe, then we'll look at the keys one by one to figure out the mess I must have caused....

            THANK YOU and A+

            cat
            0
        3. Re cat,

          under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT scrfile
          you click to open (default) and enter this value ----> copy from the log, then paste

          Screen saver

          ok
          you close your database, and you check in runscanner if they have disappeared.

          N.B.
          THE INFO YOU GIVE ME IS FROM WIN 2000.

          A+
          BOB3
          0
          1. RE BOB,

            In my opinion, we need to start over...

            I probably misunderstood some of your instructions, not being an IT expert like you...

            What I need to do FIRST is to be able to open regedit.exe from Runscanner to make the changes because since the incomplete execution of

            HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT exefile (your message No. 117)

            the computer now systematically asks me with which program to open it and I don't know!!!


            So I haven't made any progress...

            Awaiting your instructions,

            cat
            0
        4. Re cat,

          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT piffile
          you click to open (default) and you enter this value ----> copy from the log, then paste
          Shortcut for the MS-DOS program

          then right-click on piffile, new, binary value, create it
          and right-click on it, rename and name it
          EditFlags

          you click on it to open and enter this value
          01 00 00 00

          then right-click on piffile, new, string value, create it
          and right-click on it, rename and name it

          IsShortcut
          no value to give

          then right-click on piffile, new, string value, create it
          and right-click on it, rename and name it

          NeverShowExt
          no value to give

          ok

          You check in Runscanner if it has disappeared or not
          a+
          BOB3
          0
          1. RE BOB,

            Can you check my message 121 please? URGENT

            Since the mistake I made with exefile by not seeing all the instructions in your message 117, the computer is asking me with which program I want to open the registry when I click on "open registry" in Runscanner and I don't know which one it is!!

            So I have done nothing since the exefile key.

            Can you help me please??

            THANK YOU!

            cat
            0
        5. Re cat,

          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT htafile click to open (default) and enter this value ----> copy it from the log and paste it
          HTML Application

          then right-click on batfile, new, string value, create it
          and right-click on it, rename it and name it
          FriendlyTypeName

          click on it to open it and enter this value
          @C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshta.exe,-6412
          ok

          Check in Runscanner if it has disappeared or not
          a+
          BOB3
          0
          • 1
          • 2
          • 3
          • 4