Choppy DVD playback
Solved
Hello,
I have a problem with DVD playback on my PC. The image becomes choppy randomly. I tried to follow the help file on the PC but to no avail. Does anyone know where this could come from?
I have a problem with DVD playback on my PC. The image becomes choppy randomly. I tried to follow the help file on the PC but to no avail. Does anyone know where this could come from?
27 answers
-
Personally, I uninstalled the IDE channel corresponding to my drive, and then it worked perfectly!
Device Manager > ATA/ATAPI IDE Controller > Primary/Secondary IDE Channel
Don't worry, you can happily delete your channels; they will reinstall themselves afterwards. By the way, you don't need to restart the system to do this. In the toolbar, right next to the sheet with a big yellow question mark, you'll see a small PC with a blue screen, click on it, and the hardware update will happen automatically.
Good luck to everyone ^^ -
A big thank you from a big "noob" when it comes to computers, uninstalling the IDE channel and double restarting fixed my choppy playback issue on VLC. A tip for the clueless like me: don't be afraid to "uninstall" because the computer reinstalls it upon restarting. It all takes 5 minutes!!! Long live fluidity, cheers!
-
Well, I didn't get any answers, but I went for it!
And I can confirm it works!
So I did the following:
- right-click on each of the IDE channels (the main and secondary ones) and choose the "uninstall" option for each one.
Restart the PC and that's it, it's magic!
Take care and have a great weekend everyone. :-) -
Hello everyone.
Does this also work with a desktop PC? I've been having the same problem for a few days: playback of purchased DVDs (not pirated) is choppy both in picture and sound.
So if I summarize, I need to:
- right-click on each of the IDE channels (both primary and secondary) and choose the "uninstall" option for each one! Is that right? And is it safe?
Thanks for your answers. -
Following a virus attack, this happened to me.
I uninstalled the ATA ATAPI IDE controllers of the DVD drive.
Restarted, then automatic installation of the drivers, then restarted
and it’s OK. -
I had an old PC running XP that had a problem with symptoms similar to those described in this post (when playing a DVD via VLC, sound was fine but video was frozen with the CPU at 100%, mainly saturated by the VLC process).
I solved my problem simply by reducing my screen resolution (I switched to 800x600). -
Osti it works! Thanks to the gods of the computer
-
Hello everyone,
I had this choppy reading problem too. I had just bought a DVD on Clicker Training, I was watching it and then I had a doubt: was the DVD corrupted or was my player "acting up"?
It was while watching another DVD that I realized the error came from the player.
Like you all, I searched online for tips (knowing I'm not an expert when it comes to installation, programming, etc... I'm actually a bit afraid of making mistakes!).
I followed this procedure:
- go to "Start", then click on "Run"
- type: devmgmt.msc
- go to "Unknown" because, for me, there was no "ATA/ATAPI IDE Controller" indicated as I had read in another procedure
- right-click on each of the IDE channels (primary and secondary) and choose the "uninstall" option for each (I didn’t touch the "standard dual channel PCI IDE controller)
Once all these channels were uninstalled, I restarted my computer to let it reinstall the IDE channels correctly.
After the reinstallation was done, I restarted my computer again and, oh miracle, I was able to watch my DVDs normally!!!!
Thank you all for your various tips.
:-) -
For me, it doesn't work. I removed the primary and secondary IDE and still have the same problem with the frozen image and then it resumes...
When I check the peripherals, I have primary IDE, secondary IDE, and then the video card driver.
I'm not sure on this PC connected to the internet. I don't dare uninstall this driver. Should I also uninstall it?
Thank you for replying to me, -
Thank you CandyShop, I insist THANK YOU! ! !
I had been trying in vain for 4 days all the solutions, updating drivers, uninstalling/installing codecs, cleaning the registry, etc., etc... I was getting ready to format everything when the solution was so simple.
Just for your information, the symptoms: my DVD drive read computer data perfectly, but it was unable to read a commercial DVD or CD, the needle jumped (at one point the image was also jerky with lots of green pixels, in short, a disaster). On the other hand, there was no problem reading a video recorded on my computer.
Another symptom to put you on the right track: playing a DVD would spike the CPU, the computer was lagging like crazy, yet in the task manager no process seemed to monopolize the CPU. I even thought it was a virus.
In short, a risk-free solution to try before any risky maneuvers.
Thanks again -
Thank you very much!
I uninstalled the main IDE channel driver and it worked, I can read DVDs normally! (on laptop)-
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas! I was trying to find this solution hoping to fix this damn stuttering issue on Power DVD, but it hasn't improved. No playback problems on VLC Player, but I'm frustrated because I've always been accustomed to Power DVD... When I uninstall the main and secondary channels, I restart and then right after, I get a message saying that Windows has installed new hardware, probably the reinitialized channels, and that I need to restart again...
I followed all the instructions carefully but it's still the same, I had no issues before, it happened overnight... :-/ Thank you in advance for your help!
-
-
Hello,
I tried to do what you said, but I don't have a main or secondary IDE channel. I only have Intel(R) ICH8N...AHCI Controller. Is that what I need to uninstall? For me, it's choppy after a while but not right away. Is that normal? -
Thank you, Starik, my problem is solved (I only lost 7 euros on the purchase of a cleaning DVD).
-
Indeed: like everyone else, I had the same problem with choppy sound and image while playing DVDs (the problem appeared overnight), I searched the internet for an hour and THANK YOU to this forum for helping me solve the issue: I followed the recommended procedure (uninstalling the primary and secondary IDE channels and then restarting the computer) and everything is working wonderfully again! Thank you!
-
Oh no, my bad. It resolved the issue as long as the computer stayed on, but now it just perfectly reads CDs but doesn't even detect DVDs anymore :(
If anyone has suggestions...-
Hello everyone.
Important!! PROBLEM SOLVED FOR ME
I have a Packard Bell AMD Turion 64 laptop, running stable Windows XP Home.
I had this DVD stuttering issue: unwatchable DVD.
I scoured all the forums: checked the DMA, disabled the IDE channel..., checked the BIOS... nothing worked.
Here's how I solved the problem: I uninstalled the following drivers: primary IDE channel, secondary channel, and PCI IDE controller.
I restarted and... everything is fine.
Note: it's on a laptop.
Good luck to everyone.
Warm regards.
-
-
a big thank you, everything is working
-
Wow, it works perfectly for me who had given up for almost a year, everything is running smoothly again! Starik is great!
-
Thank you starik I had the same problem!!!!!!!!!!! I adore you xd
-
I would like to thank WW because his method has solved my problem, thanks to him and her. ;)
-
Thank you very much, that works!
thank you thank you!
=D
- 1
- 2
Next