JVC DR-MH20S CHARGEMENT

Hi everyone,

I have a JVC DR-MH20S, bought a little over two years ago, and I'm having a " loading " issue. It started with it refusing to stop; it got stuck on "Goodbye" on the display and "Please wait" on the TV screen. With a few fiddles with various buttons on the remote, it would eventually turn off.
In the end, it categorically refused, which led to me unplugging the player, once, twice... Until the day it refused to restart!
Following various opinions read on this forum, I opened it up, re-soldered a few connections, changed a bulging 470 micro capacitor... full of hope, I plugged it back in... Pfouuuu!
Nothing at all!
I still have my lovely "Loading" message displayed...

Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks anyway
Configuration: Windows XP Mozilla 1.7.13

35 answers

  1. Hello,
    I have a JVC DR-MH20SEF (disc recorder) for 3 years and I had the same problems as everyone else, namely that
    - either I stayed in "LOADING"
    - or it wouldn't stop anymore,.....
    After spending over 600 EUROS on it three years ago, it broke my heart to throw it away, especially since I liked its features.
    After ordering and changing a few capacitors on the power supply board of my DR-MH20SEF and since there were no improvements, I ordered a new board at the address below.
    This board, the LPA10237 release 06B (reference for the DR-MH20SEF), is the modified version of the one I had before (release 04B) and according to the JVC technical service person, it no longer has issues (modifications have been made to solve all our little problems).
    This purchase obviously cost me 90 Euros + 5 Euros for shipping, but I have a DR-MH20SEF that works perfectly again, and I am very happy.
    I changed the board (or electronic card) in less than half an hour: so it was an easy intervention.
    The JVC technical service person allowed me to share their contact details, which you will find below, so that anyone can inquire about the price and availability of the board that corresponds to their recorder model (with or without a disk).
    Gérard.

    D.V.C (Digital Video Camcorder)
    JVC Technical Services in Paris
    51 Rue Ramey
    75018 Paris
    01.42.52.28.06
    Internet: www.jvc-dvc.com
    sales of accessories and spare parts
    8
    1. Hello
      Thank you for your advice.
      I have been using a JVC DR-MH 20S recorder for about 4 years, with no issues until February 2009. While playing a commercial DVD, it stopped and displayed "LOADING."
      I went to see the JVC specialist in Toulouse. He told me he would change the power board (120.00€) without any guarantee of the result. If that doesn't solve the problem, it needs to be sent to JVC (without a quote).
      I started to have doubts and consulted forums regarding this equipment.
      I canceled the repair order and retrieved my device. The technician's advice was, "I will back up the content of the hard drive for you, and you can give me the device for free."
      I decided to disassemble the recorder and check the voltage output from the power supply. Result: 5 & 10 V on the two outputs.
      Not being an electronics technician, I bought a power board from DVC for 94.90€ with shipping.
      Yesterday I installed the board and it still shows "LOADING."
      How can I solve this problem?
      Thank you in advance
      AYAH
      0
  2. Thank you for your advice. I will try to follow the steps you indicated for my JVC DR-MH20S, but it no longer reads DVDs. The hard drive is fine. That's all for now, see you later.
    0
    1. Hello.

      By following these tips, I managed to fix my JVC recorder:
      - Open the device
      - Turn it on
      - Measure the voltage on the large white power plugs connected to the hard drive and the DVD player (measure between the two right wires)
      - In my case: the hard drive plug was at 5V, while the DVD player plug was only at 3.5V
      - Turn off and unplug the recorder
      - Completely unplug the power plug from the DVD player (the one with the low voltage, that is)
      - Unplug the large end of the plug that powers the hard drive and plug it into the female side of a 4-pin molex power splitter (http://tinyurl.com/2gxcbsp)
      - Connect the two plugs of the splitter to the hard drive and the DVD player
      - Reconnect and turn on the recorder
      2
      1. Thank you, but I am not specialized in possibly opening this JVC. It's not a big deal; I just have a DVD to finalize that is very important to me. Well, thank you for your response, but I am sure I won't be purchasing any more JVC devices.
        0
        1. for practice
          the DVD burner is a DVD RAM burner
          but a computer burner will work
          with a bit of luck.
          for the loading problem,
          either the hard drive is dead or
          most often,
          the power supply is dead.
          running the device with a dead power supply can damage the hard drive.
          so, I repeat again,
          you need to replace the head capacitors, the big brown ones 105°
          1200 or 1500uF, I can't remember
          (I installed 2200uF 105°)
          the 4 X 470uF 105°
          the 3 X 22uF 105° (C5340, 5313, 5316)
          respect the polarity and make good solder joints.
          or call me at 0660679006
          0
          1. Hello, mine no longer wants to read DVDs but the hard drive works and I'm stuck because I had a DVD that I care a lot about and since I forgot to finalize it, I'm stuck. This JVC recorder lasted me only 3 years, but I would really like to be able to finalize my DVD. I bought another one, but it's a Sony and where I made my purchase, they can't finalize my DVD. However, my JVC told me it was an optical issue, which was a pain for me too, as it often started showing "loading." Thank you, but I'm really not happy with JVC at all.
            0
            1. replace the 5 electrolytic capacitors, this capacitor at the cathodes of the secondary diodes, I use 2200uF 16 Volts
              and the 4 470uF.
              everyone knows.
              the problem with the 5V power supply of the DVD burner which is between 3 and 4 volts
              is at the level of the maxim supervisor of this power supply.
              just replace the 22uF 50Volts 105° marker C5340.
              for the occasion, replace the other two 22uF from the maxim ICs,
              C5313 and C5316.
              starts in 60 seconds.
              thank you
              1
              1. I had the following problem, LOADING kept flashing and nothing was happening, I even let it flash for 2 days but nothing worked.
                I read the tips and OH miracle, it's working again.
                I used the power supply (5-0-0-12) from the DVD drive and split it to power the HDD.

                I'm writing this quickly but if you want more info, contact me: boss@mediadiffusion.ch

                Hi t'avous
                Dan
                1
                1. Hello, like many of you, I am in the same situation.

                  I know nothing about electronics and the only soldering I've done in my life has been arc welding.

                  However, I've read your information and if you could validate my answers, it would help me tremendously.

                  Image 1

                  http://zblm.free.fr/jvc1.JPG

                  1 - Is it indeed the capacitor that needs to be replaced? The one indicated has the label (470µf10v)
                  What is the Gotronic reference? Because there are different opinions on the subject.
                  2 - Does it seem swollen to you? (1500µF10v)
                  3 - Isn't it a bit brown?

                  Image 1

                  http://zblm.free.fr/jvc2.JPG

                  Alright, hoping I was clear and to help novices like me on this topic.
                  0
                  1. It's over, gone to the dump.
                    Such a pity for the unfinalized burned DVDs.
                    I've heard about Sony, who knows how to provide customer service for buggy products.
                    But JVC, not so great!
                    The hard drive is "normal", I use it in an external case for backups.
                    0
                    1. Help, loading issue for several days after disconnecting the device (note: this is a JVC DR-DX5, 3 in 1 miniDV-HDD-DVD recorder, purchased in 2005). 250GB hard drive nearly full.
                      Power issue? Software failure? How to rescue images in case the HDD is dead... I'm not good with electronics and IT. Thanks for any advice before I decide to send it to DVC, JVC technical services in Paris.
                      Another question: is there a possibility with an extension or software solution to control the HDD with a computer (Mac in my case) via the FireWire port (which is done on a professional version, the SR-DVM700), which only interacts with the DV recording and playback part of my device? Are there any upscaling options for this type of device?
                      0
                      1. A forum dedicated to these products:

                        http://www.cippico.com/bbs/index.php

                        I didn't see any info on the DR-DX5,
                        but for the devices mentioned in this post, there is information. In particular, it discusses the sound issue and power supply problems.
                        I saw the following information:
                        Connect the device while holding the eject button continuously. If the tray opens after about twenty seconds, it means the power supply is OK, and access to the hard drive begins. Otherwise, you'll need to replace some capacitors on the power supply board.
                        However, hard drive issues are the domain of customer service (ding ding the cash register).

                        Unless you manage to clone a healthy disk in raw mode onto a physically working disk of exactly the same model with special JVC firmware, which would contain errors.
                        0
                      2. @elhieroThank you for your response; no choice, revised power supply persistent loading issue ---> JVC technical service Paris hoping it's not the hard drive failing, because with the JVC locking mechanism, nothing will be recoverable.
                        0
                    2. REPLACE THE 5340 CONDENSER OF 22 MICRO 50 VOLTS ON THE POWER BLOCK AND IT WILL START AGAIN.
                      0
                      1. Changed the condo 5340: no better.
                        I had sent a detailed email to the customer service mentioned in a previous post: didn't even get a response.
                        But I think it's the hard drive that is poorly managed...
                        0
                    3. REPLACE THE 5340 CONDENSER 22 MICRO 50 VOLT ON THE POWER BLOCK AND IT WILL WORK AGAIN.
                      0
                      1. Haaargn: now the hard drive is dead! Most functions seem fine, except for the contents of the drive. It's clicking, and the motor speeds up/slow down...
                        Two years of use and it's toast: well done JVC!
                        0
                        1. Good evening,

                          Personally, I gave up with this device after sending it for repair three times and on the third time it was deemed irreparable.

                          What I'm really interested in today is whether I can read the DVD-RWs that I've recorded?
                          For those that are finalized, I can read them with my new player (Sony), but for the others, it's impossible; I can't even format them to reuse.

                          Does anyone have any tips to help me?

                          Thanks
                          0
                          1. Good evening

                            I had a "loading" problem on a DR-MH50. The 5V power supply of the DVD burner was weak under load. I resolved it by cutting the 5V power supply from the DVD burner and replacing it with a bypass from the 5V power supply of the hard drive.
                            I think connecting the hard drive and the DVD burner to a standard PC power supply could be a good solution for those who do not wish to test the power supply voltages of these two devices. The connectors are identical and the voltages are at the same pins.
                            Good luck to everyone.
                            0
                            1. Good evening

                              I had the "loading" problem on a DR-MH50. I resolved it by cutting the 5v power supply to the DVD burner and replacing it with a tap from the 5v power supply of the hard drive.
                              I think connecting the hard drive and the DVD burner to a standard PC power supply can be a good solution for those who do not want to test the power voltages of these two peripherals. The connectors are identical and the voltages are present at the same terminals.
                              Good luck.
                              0
                              1. For the loading issue, even if you're not very handy, you can diagnose it using a PC power supply.
                                - Since you'll be working with the case open, avoid touching anything!!
                                1 Unplug and open the JVC DRMH10 or DRMH20 or DRMH30
                                2 Inside, disconnect the power connector from the DVD burner and hard drive enclosures
                                You'll recognize this power cable: it has 4 wires and a 2 cm translucent plastic connector, and it's hard to unplug.
                                3 Connect the DVD and hard drive to the PC power supply; the connectors are the same
                                4 Turn on the PC power supply
                                5 Turn on the JVC and wait about ten minutes.
                                If the loading disappears, we are in a situation where the 5V power supply of the JVC chassis is insufficient

                                Turn off, then unplug everything in reverse order.
                                Now there are three scenarios:
                                - a lot of luck: it restarts
                                - otherwise, we give up on the DVD by unplugging it; maybe the power supply will suffice for the hard drive?
                                - we find another way to supply 5 volts to these two devices, see other posts.
                                Mine has been working every day since my post on October 24...
                                0
                                1. Hello
                                  another one in the club!
                                  JVC should repair it free of charge, it's only normal for a 2-year-old device! Moreover, the malfunction is well-known
                                  If they want to keep their customers, they must repair it
                                  I will contact my dealer very soon.
                                  0
                                  1. I have a JVC HDD/DVD/VHS DR-MX1S recorder that works fine (except for once or twice I also had a Loading issue, but it has fixed itself so far with some patience).
                                    I had to open it up to remove a VHS tape that was stuck on the capstan. But since closing the cover back up, the cassette insertion mechanism is jammed.
                                    I'm hesitant to reopen it for fear of damaging some mechanical parts. Does anyone have an idea of what I should do?
                                    Or does anyone know a reliable (and quick) repair shop?
                                    0
                                    • 1
                                    • 2