Windows XP 32 and 16 bit
Solved
Hello,
I just installed an XP Home Edition (original CD) on a new 160GB hard drive in my Dell Dimension 1100/110B. (Alureon.e partially damaged my previous Windows installation)
XP is indeed 32-bit (checked in Dxdiag) but does not recognize the onboard Ethernet card and also seems not to see the onboard video card since it only gives me the option for 16-bit display; the same goes for sound (the device manager shows ? for all three). However, if I put back the old 80GB hard drive, they all work fine.
Any suggestions?
Thank you ;-)
I just installed an XP Home Edition (original CD) on a new 160GB hard drive in my Dell Dimension 1100/110B. (Alureon.e partially damaged my previous Windows installation)
XP is indeed 32-bit (checked in Dxdiag) but does not recognize the onboard Ethernet card and also seems not to see the onboard video card since it only gives me the option for 16-bit display; the same goes for sound (the device manager shows ? for all three). However, if I put back the old 80GB hard drive, they all work fine.
Any suggestions?
Thank you ;-)
2 answers
-
ModeratorHello,
In the Device Manager, right-click on "the network card" > Properties > Details.
In the dropdown menu, select: "Hardware IDs"
Post the information (string of numbers and letters).
Just copy the first line, that's enough.-
Thank you flo88 and Destrio5
I was on another computer and I downloaded the drivers I thought I needed from the Dell website and put them on a USB stick, then installed them on the other computer. It works perfectly but I still don't understand why they weren't there during the initial installation. But anyway, it doesn't matter, it's sorted!
Thank you
Didier
-