NTFS partition transformed to RAW

Solved/Closed
Hello,
I have Windows XP SP2 and a 150GB hard drive partitioned into C: of 50GB for Windows, and a D: partition for my data.
I left my PC running overnight, and the next morning my partition D:\DONNEES (NTFS) has turned into D:\Local Disk (RAW) with no indication of size, used space, etc. etc. I can't tell you how slow the explorer is when I try to open My Computer.
Anyway, Partition Magic can still see my partition, but it can't check for errors on it. In the "scan" window, if I may say, it finds a "critical" error, number "45", description "CRC error in data". But it can't finish the scan and shows me an error box saying "Operation canceled by user" even though I haven't done anything during the scan...
A screenshot is available at this address: http://derivem.free.fr/PM/index.htm

I tried scanning the partition using Windows' repair system but it doesn't yield any results... (right-click on D:, properties, tools, check for errors)

If anyone can provide me with a solution to recover my data, it would be amazing!
Thanks in advance.
Marc

35 answers

  1. Hello everyone,

    just press Windows+R, then type in
    cmd.exe
    (after confirming with Ctrl+Shift+Enter to run in administrator mode), type the command
    chkdsk D:
    (for partition D:) to scan D:. If there has indeed been a conversion from NTFS to RAW like I experienced, Windows will clearly indicate that there are defective clusters. To fix the errors, type the command:
    chkdsk D: /F
    still in cmd.exe...

    In 1 minute the problem was resolved, the partition recognized as NTFS by Windows again, all data intact, etc.

    So, before trying to format your partition, or using software like easy recovery, or phoenix whatever else I’ve read, try this very simple command.

    Cheers
    367
    1. Hi Kemar54, while reading all the forums, I happened to stumble upon your solution which was the right one.
      Indeed, everyone makes things easier for themselves by saving and reformatting using more or less practical and effective software.
      The one you suggested worked for me without formatting and without losing any data. It's the best!
      I don't know where you found it, but it's super effective. I'm keeping it close just in case.
      If you could explain to me how a disk in NTFS suddenly turns to RAW, I would be interested.
      A year later, I don't know if you will read this post, but just in case, I want to say a big thank you.

      A happy user
      2
    2. Hello
      for my part, it’s a flash drive that I can no longer use because it has turned into RAW format. I can neither open it, nor explore it, nor even format it. I don’t necessarily want to recover its content, but I would like to be able to use it again; I have 03 in the same situation
      Thank you in advance
      0
    3. Salut ! Merci à vous.
      0
    4. Great job on this quick and effective solution! After browsing the forums for 3 days, I recovered my 120 GB of data without formatting and without a second hard drive, all in 2 minutes, thanks to you!
      Thank you!
      0
    5. Hello kemar54!
      Thank you for this valuable information that still works after a few years!!!

      P.S.: Did you find the cause of this format change???
      0