"Path too long"

Solved
Hello,

I just bought an external hard drive (Western Digital 500 G) because I'm going to reset my PC (radical cleaning!). My problem is that whenever I try to copy a file that is too long or too many files at once, it crashes and I get "unable.......path too long." I have the same problem whether I do a copy/paste, cut/paste, or "move to." I have an entire partition of my internal hard drive of about 40 G to back up, consisting of thousands of files, so I can't do them one by one even if that worked...
Can you help me?
Thank you!
Configuration: Windows XP Internet Explorer 7.0

18 answers

  1. I create a TMP folder in C, so it becomes C:\TMP

    I copy or move the files into this folder

    Then I copy or move them to the destination folder.
    32
    1. Good evening,

      Thank you very much Krisantern!

      Because I didn't want to rename them shorter, the message is still there and thanks to this technique it works!
      Thanks again!

      All the best!
      Kévin
      1
    2. @Anonymous userAs far as I'm concerned, I had tried everything mentioned above but I always had the same problem. I solved it by..... turning off my HP printer!!!!!!! Apparently a driver conflict.
      0
    3. Curious :o
      0
    4. A big thank you to Jevany !! I had the same problem with a 500 GB Western Digital hard drive and I resolved it thanks to you..... by turning off my HP printer.
      0
    5. Yes, thank you, Jevany!! Indeed, it was also the HP printer that I unplugged.
      0