Computer screen issue: vertical lines.

Solved
Good evening everyone

I have a problem that has been worrying me more and more for a few days now. Here it is. Little vertical pink lines are appearing on the screen; at first, it was on Word documents, and now it's even on web pages. The lines are getting longer and sometimes they are green and horizontal. I have an antivirus (AVG) and I don't understand where this could be coming from.
Thank you to anyone who can help me.Configuration: Windows XP
Internet Explorer 7.0

21 answers

  1. Hello everyone. I have a Packard Bell EasyNote R3420 laptop and I've encountered a display problem with vertical lines in green, pink, blue, and yellow that start from the boot-up. Then, upon opening a window, it worsens with multicolored streaks.
    I resolved my issue by going into the BIOS,
    pressing F2 at startup,
    going to the “advanced” column,
    below choosing “GFX mode setting”,
    pressing enter, a window appears,
    by default it says - internal video mode: side port -
    change this option by selecting:
    - internal video mode: UMA -
    - UMA Frame Buffer Size: 192 - this is the default size, the size should be adjusted according to your graphics needs 32, 64, 128, 192, 256.
    press ok then exit, save changes and exit.
    It worked for me instantly at startup with no more multicolored lines.
    However, the downside is that it now uses some RAM, so you need to optimize your computer as much as possible and test the different sizes of the buffer.
    I should mention that previously I uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled several times with registry cleaning, antivirus tests, device updates, I connected the laptop's video to my home PC monitor but it had the same lines, I checked the hard drive with checkdisk and other benchmarks like memtest which didn't report any problem.
    The graphics card is a Radeon Xpress 200M. Try changing these settings and let me know if it works.
    1. A big thank you for your solution that I had applied by someone more competent than me and everything works like new again: the lines have disappeared, the computer is like new (it's only two years old) and I took the opportunity to boost it a bit by adding a memory stick and removing Norton Internet which was slowing down the machine. Finally, the end of the tunnel (scratched). Thanks again!
    2. Thanks man,
      if there's anything I can do to thank you, don’t hesitate!
      I had this problem with my Packard Bell R3420 last year, still under warranty, and it came back fine.
      But for the past three months, it happened again!!!!
      I searched and searched and searched for a solution on hundreds of sites and forums,
      result: I thought my graphics card had overheated.
      Plus, I tried outputting to a TV via S-Video and on another PC screen to see if it was just the screen but I had the same problem.
      I ended up thinking my PC was dead!!
      And then I came across your message, I tried your fix even though I had never entered the BIOS of a PC and there........
      MIRACLE!!!! No more problems at startup, A HUGE THANK YOU TO YOU MAN
      the only downside is you could have posted this message a bit earlier LOL
      yesterday I ordered a complete PC on t------t.com but a desktop this time, a laptop is no longer necessary for me so I won’t take the risk of an ultra-expensive hardware failure.
      thank you, thank you, thank you
      guyome
    3. Thank you very much for your tips, now I have fewer lines on my computer, really thank you very much.
    4. After quite a bit of research to solve a big problem with vertical pink lines... I came across your message (while looking for advice on changing motherboards, graphics card... for my easy note, anyway I'm trying the manipulation described by cagalou on February 7, 2008 and it actually works!!!!
      A THOUSAND THANKS TO CAGALOU AND TO ALL THOSE WHO MAKE THE EFFORT to RESPOND IN A SIMPLE AND CLEAR MANNER TO US BEGINNERS
      _____________________________________________
      Hello everyone. I have an easy note r3420 laptop from Packard Bell and I had this problem with vertical display lines green, pink, blue, yellow that started at startup, then when opening windows it got worse with multicolored traces.
      I solved my problem by going into the BIOS,
      pressing F2 at startup,
      going to the "advanced" column,
      then choosing "GFX mode setting" below,
      pressing enter, a window appears, by default it says - internal video mode: side port -
      change this option by selecting:
      - internal video mode: UMA -
      - UMA Frame Buffer Size: 192 - this is the default size, the size must be adjusted according to your graphic needs 32,64,128,192,256.
      press ok then exit, save change and exit.
      for me it worked instantly at startup no more colored lines.
      However, the downside is that it now uses RAM, so you need to optimize your computer as much as possible and test different buffer sizes.
      I specify that I had previously uninstalled the drivers then reinstalled several times with registry cleaning, antivirus tests, device updates, I had connected the laptop's video to my home PC monitor but it caused the same lines, I had checked the hard drive with checkdisk and then other benchmarks like memtest which did not report any issues.
      The graphics card is a Radeon Xpress 200M. Try changing these settings and let me know if it works.
    5. @ramaplan12I advise all those who have had this kind of problem to add RAM to their laptop to make the operating system more stable.
      I also recommend that anyone who regularly uses their laptop buy a cooling system, here is an excellent model, for example:
      http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00043422.html
      Laptops heat up a lot, and this reduces the lifespan of the components; it's no surprise that manufacturer warranties are not long.