and above all, if you do it manually, DO NOT DELETE THE LAYOUT FILE that must remain in the prefetch folder.
AveMaeva
Why should we not delete LAYOUT?
eilujj
Hello, I accidentally deleted the prefetch folder and I can't reinstall it, what should I do????
jo62
You need to understand the purpose of the prefetch folder (C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch):
When you launch a program, it does: processing ---> disk loading ----> processing ---> disk loading, etc.
On the first launch of the program, Windows will analyze (for 10 seconds) which files the program accesses and note them in a file in the prefetch folder.
On subsequent launches, during the program's processing phases, Windows will use this information to pre-fetch the files that the program will need. The result: a faster launch of programs.
In addition to that, the prefetch system is also active during the startup of Windows, in order to track the file loads at startup (and optimize Windows startup).
Finally, the Windows defragmenter can also use the information from the prefetch folder, to place the most used files at the beginning of the disk at startup, further improving performance.
It is unnecessary to clear this folder, as Windows limits it to 128 files anyway.
Deleting the contents of this folder will therefore only reduce Windows performance. Disabling the prefetch function will also deprive you of the performance improvements it provides.
Anonymous user
Hi,
use a program like Ccleaner, it will do the job for you, more efficiently and quickly ;-)
¤Download and install this, in the left column click on "errors", check all the boxes, then click at the bottom on "search for errors". Once finished, click on "repair errors" and you will get a message to back up your registry, say "yes", then repeat until it finds no more errors.
¤Restart Ccleaner, go to the "cleaner" tab on the left, uncheck the last box (Advanced if it is checked), then click on "run cleaner".
Or by going to Start, Run, type: cleanmgr, check all the boxes, then "next" and then "ok".
A++
pépita
Hello, the work is already done, since I've run CCleaner and also Cleanup 4, the latter by clicking directly on "cleanup," without any further checks, I noticed it was still bringing in some stuff. Thank you.
Yoan
Moderator
Hello, You type C:/Windows/Prefetch, you come across it, empty it and restart. -- The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress, For miracles, allow some time ...
pépita
However, with CCleaner, I first started with the cleanup before fixing the errors, I don't know if the order matters. If so, please let me know. Thank you.
Yoan
Moderator
No idea, it depends on what this "error correction" is. -- The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress, For miracles, please allow a delay ...
Anonymous user
Hi,
No, it doesn't matter at all.
"fixing the errors": simple cleaning of the registry ;-)
See you++ --
Practice makes perfect ;-)
pépita
And it's in "search" that we need to type C:\Windows\Prefetch?
Yoan
Moderator
@pépitaStart > Run -- The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress, For miracles, please allow some time...
pépita
@pépitaYes, and how do we empty it once we are in the right place? We have to guess everything here; it feels like we are supposed to know everything in advance, as if we were pros. Where do we need to click? Please, thank you.
Yoan
Moderator
Don't get too excited, please. I indicated what needed to be done in the post <3> -- The urgent is done, the impossible is underway, For miracles, please allow some time ...
pépita
And it's not true that we can delete everything; I just read elsewhere that we need to keep the Layout.ini file. As for deleting, I don't see where to click; it's not written anywhere. I'm not going to click randomly, risking messing things up.
Yoan
Moderator
What you must not delete will not be deleted. -- The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress, For miracles, please allow for a delay ...
Anonymous user
Use the software I gave you, why are you trying to understand what you don't understand?! --
Practice makes perfect ;-)
Yoan
Moderator
Ah, I hadn't read it completely, not only if there's something that really shouldn't be deleted you won't be able to delete it, but also, the layout.ini file can be deleted without any problem. -- The urgent is done, the impossible is in progress, For miracles, please allow some time...
celina
Hello, hi, I've been told that I need to clear the prefetch folder, is that true? I know how to find it but before doing the operation I'd rather know if it's really true so I don't accidentally delete programs and end up being bothered later? Thanks for your response.
gordon
Thank you, Cara, I will try: I am a beginner.
jelory
In French? Best regards
jelory
See Jo62's post, he is the only one who is truly competent and fair. Have a good day.
jo62 - January 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM
It's important to understand what the prefetch folder (C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch) is for:
When you launch a program, it does: processing ---> disk loading ----> processing ---> disk loading, etc.
On the first launch of the program, Windows will analyze (for 10 seconds) which files the program accesses and notes them in a file in the prefetch folder.
During subsequent launches, at the processing phases of the program, Windows will take advantage of this to retrieve in advance the files that the program will need. Result: Faster program launches.
In addition, the prefetch system is also active during the startup of Windows, to track the loading of files at startup (and optimize Windows startup).
Finally, the Windows defragmenter can also use the information from the prefetch folder to place the most used files at the beginning of the disk during startup, further improving performance.
It is unnecessary to purge this folder, as Windows limits it to 128 files anyway.
Deleting the contents of this folder will only reduce Windows' performance. Disabling the prefetch function will also deprive you of the performance improvements it brings.