Scroll lock key not working.

Hello,

When I press the scroll lock key, the light does not turn on. I don't think the key is broken (I bought my PC not long ago). Could you tell me how I can fix this? Thank you in advance.

Configuration: Nvidia 8600 GT ;
ACER CPU E5200 ;
4GB MEMORY ;
1 TB HDD
Linux Ubuntu 9.10

11 answers

  1. Contributor
    Hi,

    I don't think the key is broken (I bought my PC not long ago)
    That doesn't mean anything ;-((

    Have you tried your keyboard on another PC?

    --
    Zen my nuggets ;-)
    0
    1. Thank you for your response

      I just tried the key on the console in full screen (alt + CTRL + F1) and it works without any problem. So the issue does not come from the keyboard.
      0
      1. Contributor
        Which distribution?
        Which desktop?
        What effects (activated if Compiz or others)?
        0
      2. ubuntu 9.10, Gnome.

        I disabled visual effects, I have Compiz but it is disabled.
        0
      3. I don't understand English very well (and Google Translate is really bad)

        If I understand correctly, I need to create a file in the X11 folder, that is done.
        I think I also need to add a file "Xmodmap", that is done too.
        But after that, I can't edit the file. How should I proceed?

        Thank you.
        0
      4. Contributor
        run this command xmodmap -pm.
        Open a terminal and type this command:

        xmodmap -pm

        You should get the output with some mod1 mod2 mod3. Here mod3 should be empty with no value set.
        You should have an output like:
        xmodmap: up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses): shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e) lock Caps_Lock (0x42) control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x69) mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Meta_L (0xcd) mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d) mod3 mod4 Super_L (0x85), Multi_key (0x86), Super_L (0xce), Hyper_L (0xcf) mod5 ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c), Mode_switch (0xcb)

        With the line containing "mod3" empty.

        To set the value create the file Xmodmap in /etc/X11/.
        To activate this value, you need to create the file "Xmodmap" in "/etc/X11/"

        Type in a terminal:

        sudo gedit /etc/X11/Xmodmap

        Be careful with the case (upper and lower case. Try to do "copy/paste" as much as possible)

        Add this line in the file
        Add this line in the file:

        add mod3 = Scroll_Lock


        Save the modifications.

        Logout and log in again.
        Log out and log in again...

        ;-))
        0
    2. Hello,

      Are we on Linux?

      If so: Gnome or KDE?

      --
      a penguin on the iceberg!
      0
      1. Contributor
        Hi Bobby,

        ;-))
        0
      2. Oh yes! Thank you... didn't see it! ^^

        Gnome then!

        Well, the idea is to check the keyboard layout and see how the keyboard is configured. Under Gnome, I don't know how to do it.

        Under KDE, I know..... I suppose we can do the same thing under Gnome.
        0
      3. Thank you for your help Bob031,

        But I did not find what I need to configure, here are 2 links (images) of what there is:

        http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1969/screenshotwj.png

        http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9686/screenshot1ee.png

        If you could tell me which one I need to configure, thank you and sorry :$
        0
    3. I was thinking rather of:

      System -> Preferences -> Keyboard

      in Keyboard Properties, go to the "Layouts" tab

      which keyboard model has been selected?

      -- a penguin on the ice floe!
      0
      1. "GENERIC 105-key (int) PC

        here"
        0
    4. and what if you tried to specify your model via the dropdown menu (by clicking on the default title)?

      maybe also check in "layout options"

      a penguin on the ice floe!
      0
      1. Belgique alternative.

        Did you want to know that?
        0
    5. Belgium alternative.

      Is this your keyboard layout?

      --
      a penguin on the icecap!
      0
      1. First of all, I think I'm having trouble understanding what you want to know, but here are the keyboard options.

        http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3179/screenshotvrp.png
        0
        1. If you have a PC, then you have an external keyboard.

          If you have an external keyboard, it should have a brand and a model.

          According to your last screenshot, if you paid attention, the "keyboard model" is actually a dropdown menu.
          So you can select your keyboard based on its brand and model (if it exists in the list).

          That's what I was trying to suggest...

          A penguin on the ice floe!
          0
          1. Ah, I understand, thank you. :)

            The make and model of my keyboard: Acer SK9625.

            But it's not listed in the configurations; when I choose Acer, there are only these 4 models:

            Acer Airkey V
            Acer C300
            Acer Ferrari 4000
            Acer Laptop

            I tried selecting each of them, but none solved my problem.
            0
            1. ok ! Well, I have no more ideas. I'm handing over to zipe31 ^^
              --
              a penguin on the iceberg!
              0
              1. Contributor
                He thanks you, but he has no more ideas either ;-(

                Sorry ;-))
                0
              2. Hi Zip!

                How's it going? I'm going to spend the New Year's Eve in your beautiful city. ^^

                P.S.: No more ideas either? Come on!!! :-)
                0
            2. But I find it strange that I can activate the key when I am in the console (full screen), maybe I can't use the scroll lock key in graphic mode!?

              Can you?
              0