Install the same software a second time

Solved
Jean-Louis CORLIER -  
Hello
I would like, for personal reasons, to install the same software twice on my PC, on two different partitions of the same hard drive.
Does Windows allow this, provided I choose the custom installation of course, and above all, do I have a chance that it will work without the risk of interference, knowing that only one would work at a time?
Thank you in advance,
Best regards
Configuration: Desktop PC 2GHz Windows XP

4 answers

  1. I don't think that would work ^^

    You should install a second OS, that might work at that point ^^
    2
    1. If I understood correctly, you have a 2005 version of the program in question and another 2006 version of the same program?

      If that's the case, I believe you can install the second one by simply changing the default directory (C:\Program Files\Your Prog) to another directory... It should work, at least I did it with Office97 and 2000, Delphi 3 and 5 AND 7 and had no problems.
      1
      1. After trying, the second installation goes well and is done where I ask (namely: D:\ instead of C:\prog..files..). But indeed the program's execution is less impressive: I can launch it, provided that the other one is inactive. So it works, let’s say partially, with this software.
        Thanks to everyone
        0
    2. Contributor
      Hello,
      In my opinion, there is a risk that it won't work, it depends on the software.
      If it's to have each one's "profile," it's better to trust Windows profiles - but again, it doesn't work with all software, which software is it?

      --
      Ceux qui abandonneraient une liberté essentielle, pour acheter un peu
      de sécurité temporaire, ne méritent ni la liberté ni la sécurité
      (Benjamin Franklin)
      0
      1. Thank you Teebo...
        It is a stamp management software, with which I want to make comparisons from one year to another: updating 2006 compared to 2005 for example. I therefore want to keep my 2005 version in place and install my new 2006 version.
        See you later.
        0
    3. That's the problem, mate

      Some programs automatically detect whether they are installed or not, and if so, you can either uninstall them or modify some included programs...

      In that case, if I dare say, you're pretty screwed :)
      0