Enable Secure Boot

Solved
Hello, I would like to upgrade to Win11, however I am having issues enabling Secure Boot.

Motherboard Aorus x570 Pro, Bios F35d
SSD NVMe.M2, Windows 10 installed on it with GPT partition

My issue is that to display and enable Secure Boot, I have to disable CSM and it keeps reactivating after rebooting the PC to save the BIOS changes.

My current GPU is a GTX570, could it be the cause?

Thank you

9 answers

  1. Moderator
    Then if you are in CSM, you should normally switch to Non-CSM for Secure Boot

    Secure Boot goes with UEFI

    Then Secure Boot doesn't need to be activated as such for Windows 11, it just needs to be compatible with it, but in UEFI Non-CSM mode.
    0
    1. I have indeed updated the latest BIOS using the Q-Flash from my motherboard, my CSM is indeed enabled, but when I disable it, it reactivates by itself after each restart.

      The PC integrity check tool for Windows 11 compatibility clearly states that secure boot needs to be activated.

      Even with the latest BIOS, when I boot into Windows 11, I get the message indicating a compatibility issue, namely this famous secure boot :)

      Thank you for your help ;)
      0
      1. Moderator
        Your Windows boot disk should not be in GPT if your BIOS is in CSM

        Are you sure it is?

        If not, we can try to convert it without data loss.

        For the BIOS, I would just suggest a Clear CMOS

        Unplug the power
        Remove the CR2032 battery
        Short circuit the two pins for 10 seconds, sometimes there is a jumper to move, or it is often labeled CLR_CMOS
        Short-circuiting the two poles + and - of the battery socket can also have the same effect
        0
        1. Bingo ^^ , Partition type: Main boot sector
          So I am indeed in MRB, I will do what is necessary to switch to GPT using diskpart.

          For the BIOS, I already had to do a clearcsmos with the battery and jumper, I had fiddled with the "Keys...." to enable secure boot, and the PC restarted in a loop, without any display or peripherals, that's when I flashed the BIOS with Q-Flash, and it started up like new.

          I think that with the partition in GPT, CSM will not reactivate, and therefore I will be able to enable secure boot.
          RESOLVED, a big thank you fabul for your help and your time, good luck!
          0
          1. Moderator
            A very short summary, but easy to follow

            Settings
            Updates and Security
            Recovery
            Restart

            In Recovery Mode
            Troubleshoot
            Command Prompt

            mbr2gpt /validate
            mbr2gpt /convert

            Afterward, you will need to switch your BIOS to UEFI to boot.
            0
            1. Ok, I'll convert it like this, simple and effective,
              to switch the BIOS to UEFI, I've checked but couldn't find it, how do we proceed on a Gigabyte BIOS?
              Thank you
              0
              1. Moderator
                CSM is disabled.
                0
            2. The conversion to GPT went well, I checked in Disk Management and it's correctly labeled as GPT. I rebooted, disabled CSM, rebooted and it reactivated again, but I managed to boot Windows normally.
              I just started the Windows 11 compatibility test, everything is fine. It should work.
              Thank you.
              0
              1. Moderator
                It might be a bug in the BIOS.
                0
                1. Possible, in any case it's resolved for me, thanks fabul ;)
                  0