What does 250MB/500MB mobile internet represent?
Solved
Hi everyone,
I would like to purchase the Samsung Galaxy Spica with the new 1-hour unlimited internet plan (250MB, then throttled...) or the 1.5-hour unlimited internet plan (500MB, then throttled^^) and I would like to know what 250MB (in the worst case) of mobile internet connection means for my usage: downloading a few apps from the Android Market, emails, a bit of TV [MCM] (if it takes up too much, it's not a problem...I can skip that), a bit of YouTube, MSN, and regular web browsing...
Thanks in advance for your responses!!
Configuration: Windows XP / Firefox 3.6.3
I would like to purchase the Samsung Galaxy Spica with the new 1-hour unlimited internet plan (250MB, then throttled...) or the 1.5-hour unlimited internet plan (500MB, then throttled^^) and I would like to know what 250MB (in the worst case) of mobile internet connection means for my usage: downloading a few apps from the Android Market, emails, a bit of TV [MCM] (if it takes up too much, it's not a problem...I can skip that), a bit of YouTube, MSN, and regular web browsing...
Thanks in advance for your responses!!
Configuration: Windows XP / Firefox 3.6.3
22 answers
-
-
kamisama500 MB cannot represent something like an hour of internet browsing, let me explain:
If you decide to watch videos with your plan limited to 500 MB, in just a few minutes or hours, you can easily reach the limit, just as in a few days you might only use 10 MB.
Let's look at some numbers:
- taking a 20-minute HD video, it will average about 120 MB, which means 360 MB/hour. In other words, in about 1 hour and 40 minutes, you will have reached the 500 MB/month limit.
- now with a 20-minute SD video, it will average about 35 MB, which means 105 MB/hour. In other words, in about 4 hours and 45 minutes, you will have reached the 500 MB/month limit.
That's quite a significant difference.
Of course, I used videos because they consume the most, but this principle also applies to websites and everything else on the internet.
All this to say that there's no point in trying to see how many hours you can use your 500 MB because it all depends on what you do with it.
Furthermore, we should not forget the few KB/MB used by the mobile OS for updates, but which remain negligible against a limit of 500 MB.
I advise you to limit yourself to checking your email, browsing the web, ... and to avoid videos and games/applications flash available on the internet which will quickly make you reach your limit.-
celineHello,
You are absolutely right!
For more details: a web page weighs on average 0.1 MB, check out this site if you want even more precision (it's at the bottom of the page):
http://la-telephonie-mobile.tout-le-net-en-1-site.com/Le-comparatif.php
It's a comparison of mobile plans, and it explains that in passing.
kisses! -
-
-
-
-
-
learlyI think that 500 MB represents about 30 hours of unthrottled connections!
-
BrijI have 500 MB and when I reach about 1:30, they tell me that I will exceed my plan; this is far from the 30 hours you mentioned. The seller at Orange told me 50 hours, that's strange. Plus, I don't watch movies, I just go on FB, my bank, small videos, and not often. I don't understand, thank you for replying.
-
-
-
Mihawk ContributorWell, I can't say much about mobile, but one day at the hotel, I got a free 300MB internet connection, and for emails and instant messaging, it's great, but after 6 or 7 streaming videos on YouTube, that's it!
--
Linuxien Kubunteros -
julien1451Hi, I think that 250 MB / 500 MB represents the number of bytes sent/received when you browse the net, once you exceed this limit, your connection will then be slowed down ( throttled ).
-
driss500 MB represents exactly 12 hours of internet connection, otherwise Orange offers plans with 2GB, it's the Mac I think!
-
Dou'wHowever, I advise against getting the Spica. Because it's a nerve-wracking experience with this phone that bugs A LOT. The internet is too slow. In short, if you don't want to die before your time, avoid this phone ^^. Personally, I broke them (on purpose) because I couldn't take it anymore.
-
zoulou33 ContributorWatch my emails mainly and Android applications and the internet to see football results.
-
ppagnolThey say there's a 500MB limit for the internet, but in reality you can go further depending on the times. I'm at 740MB of download and I haven't been throttled yet... And even 500MB is more than enough if you're not watching videos online which consume a lot and if you're not downloading applications.
-
lauraHello, I am being offered a plan with 250MB, and I mostly use Facebook. What does that correspond to? If the app is already downloaded on my iPhone, how much MB does it take when I log in? Thank you.
-
sybilHello, sorry to bring this topic up again. I took this plan and I was wondering if we go over 250 or 500 MB, do we pay more on the bill, or are we just throttled?
-
vampireclampPersonally, I read fanfiction on my phone and I have a plan of 250 MB, and I’m online almost 10 hours a day, since when I have to go to class, I just lock the phone and leave the page open. So I also think it depends on what you do with your internet. ^^
-
didiegoI came across this site on another help forum
http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html
which allows you to calculate what reading emails, web pages, audio & video streaming, etc. can represent...
and when you do your calculation, you realize that those 500Mo/month very often offered in "unlimited" plans are consumed very quickly ^^... 10 emails/day + 90 web pages viewed/day = 480 to 500Mo/month!!!! and I’m not counting a few minutes of video or audio streaming because it goes up very (too!) quickly!!! Here’s another interesting address: (in English but comprehensible enough^^)http://www.clicker.com/blog/how-much-video-can-you-actually-stream-with-atts-new-data-plans-1895.html
...they calculated the consumption of an average user, it gives a good idea of consumption with an iPhone, iPod, etc... -
steph-rott AuthorAnyone?
-
steph-rott AuthorPlease, can anyone give me some information...??
-
steph-rott AuthorUp !
-
steph-rott AuthorUp !!
-
zoulou33 ContributorGood evening
I’m not really sure what that means, but 500MB is already a fair amount. Let's say at least 10 hours, but actually I don't really know. It mainly depends on whether you do this all day or just occasionally throughout the day. -
zoulou33 ContributorI say ten hours, but it could be less or more. For reference, since my data plan reset on the morning of April 23, I have used 10MB of data.
-
steph-rott AuthorIs there anyone else who could give me information?
-
- 1
- 2
Next