Nintendo DS microphone issue
Solved
Hello,
we just gave our daughter a DS Lite with the Nintendogs game for her 7th birthday, and we have a problem with the microphone. When she needs to name her dog, it seems that it doesn't hear its name, and since it's the beginning of the game and you can't continue playing or access the microphone settings, we are stuck.
I tried with another game, "The Little Mermaid," and the same issue occurred; the microphone doesn't work.
NB: She started playing with a dog she had named, but then the soap bubbles stopped working. To solve the problem, I reset the console as indicated in the manual (simultaneously pressing L, R, Y, X, B, A), thinking we would start from scratch, but now we have no microphone. Did we accidentally disable the microphone?
If someone could help us, that would be great; my daughter has only played with her toy for one evening, and she was so looking forward to her console.
If anyone can help, thank you in advance.
PS: I left a message on Nintendo's "hotline"
we just gave our daughter a DS Lite with the Nintendogs game for her 7th birthday, and we have a problem with the microphone. When she needs to name her dog, it seems that it doesn't hear its name, and since it's the beginning of the game and you can't continue playing or access the microphone settings, we are stuck.
I tried with another game, "The Little Mermaid," and the same issue occurred; the microphone doesn't work.
NB: She started playing with a dog she had named, but then the soap bubbles stopped working. To solve the problem, I reset the console as indicated in the manual (simultaneously pressing L, R, Y, X, B, A), thinking we would start from scratch, but now we have no microphone. Did we accidentally disable the microphone?
If someone could help us, that would be great; my daughter has only played with her toy for one evening, and she was so looking forward to her console.
If anyone can help, thank you in advance.
PS: I left a message on Nintendo's "hotline"
Configuration: Windows XP Internet Explorer 6.0
53 answers
-
Well, I had the same problem with my Nintendo DS Lite... And the issue is SOLVED.
Actually, I realized that on the front, on the right front side, one of the two little pins of the microphone was raised to the maximum (next to the headphone jack).
This pin in the high position short-circuits the internal microphone!
With a small screwdriver, I managed to lower this pin by 1 mm: a small task that requires patience (don't get frustrated).
And the internal microphone works great now...
So simple ;-)
/rodice -
I don't have the solution, but I have exactly the same problem. The microphone seems to be not working. The kids have been trying to name their dog unsuccessfully for hours. How can we test the microphone?
-
Same for us. We want the answer.
-
I just tested an external microphone and it works. So it's the built-in microphone of the DS that doesn't work
(in my case). So all that's needed is to buy a "headset" (earphone and microphone set)
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=FR&sku_id=0665000FS10092891&catid= -
I had the same problem and actually the built-in microphone works very well; it was inhibited by the plastic cover added to the headphone jack on the front. If that's the case, just remove it and everything will be fine. During recording, the microphone symbol turns yellow when it picks up the voice, and you really need to insist in a quiet place for the good dog to understand his name...
-
I have the same problem as you. Did you find a solution? Thank you.
-
Check Nintendo's support, but it's not easy; otherwise, buy a headset :: note that the specifications for this equipment are not the same as those for a standard MP3 earphone.
-
Hello,
I bought a DS for my son for Christmas, but he dropped it on the floor.
I got him the latest Zelda on the DS, and at certain points you have to use the microphone, but it no longer works. Do you know if there is a way to avoid having to do that? -
Not all games that require a microphone can do without it; the solution is to buy an external microphone with headphones (that's what I did because the customer service response was too long and my son didn't want to wait) or to get it repaired (remember to put a protective case on your DS as it's relatively fragile equipment). You can find this type of microphone/headphones on eBay, Alapage, Amazon. Enjoy gaming.
-
I have the same problem and I would like to know
where can we buy the microphone/headset
could you help me find it
because I can't play any games anymore
if you know where to buy it, please reply to me -
I bought mine on eBay (an auction site), but you can find it for 2X less on Priceminister, at Amazon: Stereo headset with built-in microphone for DS/DS LITE by Big Ben,
alapage (brand Bigben), especially buy a headset with a microphone that has 2 connection plugs and not just simple earbuds that only have one plug. By -
ok thanks
but do you know where we can find some in a store?
please reply, bye -
No; there aren't any at Leclerc, nor at Géant Casino, nor at Carrefour, nor at Micromania near me, around Toulouse. I'm sorry. BY
-
Is there a store to buy an external microphone near Lille or alternatively online where I can pay in euros???
I have several microphones with headset but the plugs are two plugs like for the headset, where can we connect the microphone jack???
Thank you in advance!! -
On the internet, you have: on eBay (auction site) but you can find it for half the price on 2Xmoinscher, on Priceminister, on Amazon: Stereo headset with built-in microphone for DS/DS LITE by Big Ben, alapage (Bigben brand), especially buy a headset with a microphone that has 2 connection plugs and not just simple earphones that only have one plug. By 2 message(s) posted since Monday, February 4, 2008
I copied and pasted my previous message but after checking in the store I did not find it at Micromania, nor at Leclerc, nor at Géant Casino, nor at Carrefour but this around Toulouse. BY -
I just bought a DS Lite too and I have a problem with the microphone and the store doesn't want to exchange it, they want to send it for repair. I find this unacceptable especially since it was purchased 3 hours ago.
-
Yes, that's the big problem. Moreover, I believe the wait times are rather long (for me, it was over 3 weeks, and my son didn't want to, hence the external microphone/headphone solution). You can always go to Nintendo's website and explain your problem or consult with a consumer association. Nintendo sells a large quantity of products at quite high prices, but afterward, it's not great! Be careful, the DS consoles are quite fragile; a hard case or even silicone protection is really necessary because sooner or later, it ends up on the ground (we trip over the cord...), and then the hinges break and the tabs on the upper screen disappear, leading to... a lot of problems until total failure. There's an impressive number of out-of-service consoles sold on certain websites (for parts); this console was sold to many people this Christmas, and for children under 5 years old, it's completely foolish, as it requires a minimum of care!!! BY
-
it's not working
-
-
@linkThe problem comes from a bad contact on the external mic input.
Normally, when you plug in an external mic, it cuts off the internal mic.
If you look closely at the mic socket, you will see a small copper strip on the right at the top, and if you press on the contact at the bottom, it cuts the connection.
Personally, to solve the problem, I opened the DS and soldered a wire between these two contacts; I think we should be able to restore the connection by inserting a small conductive strip from the outside.
Have fun! -
-
-
in case of a problem, all you need to do is bring the device back to the place where you bought it
-
Hello,
I had the same problem, I solved it by replacing the micros with those found on proconso.com
it works very well, my son is happy-
Very simple your problem. Have you plugged in external headphones, or an external microphone, or some cash that blocks the audio inputs like from the brand Bigben?
If so, on the front of the DS there's a round hole for the headphones and next to it, a rectangle with 2 small connectors above. Take a pin and look at the one on the left (the one farthest from the headphone connector). Put your pin above the thin connector (be very careful) and apply a light pressure downwards.
In fact, this connector is a button. When you plug something in, it cuts off the internal button, but when you remove whatever was in, it doesn't make contact again because it didn't go back into place properly.
Soon I will offer repairs for broken screens on my site.
www.jetconnect.be -
@jetconnectJConnect, you are my son's hero ;-
thank you very much -
@jetconnectHello,
Thank you for your help, it worked for my DS.
However, my daughter's is new and the microphone isn't working either, do you know what to do in her case?
Best regards,
Mrs. Crestel -
@jetconnectThank you very much for your solution to the microphone problem. It works perfectly.
-
@jetconnectThank you, I followed your instructions and my daughter's DS microphone works again....
She will be happy.
-
- 1
- 2
- 3
Next