Recover hidden folder from a hard drive

Solved
Hi everyone.
The processor of my old PC is dead. So I want to recover the files from the hard drive. To do this, I put it in my new computer, but the problem is that my folder with all my documents is a hidden folder. How can I recover this data???

Please help me!!!!
Configuration: windows XP professional

22 answers

  1. Contributor
    hello splif 29,

    open the folder where your file is located and do:
    "tools" > "folder options" > "view" and check the box "show hidden files..." > ok
    and search for your folder

    see you later

    --
    **(show me the direction and I will find the way by myself.)**
    22
    1. Thank you, that's cool. However, could you help me?
      Before, I had a normal icon next to my files, but now it shows the Paint icon, and it opens with Paint instead of Media Player, and I have to resize it every time.
      I have Vista.
      It's saved in Documents, Received Files.
      0
    2. Merci beaucoup, lance_yien, ça m'a beaucoup aidé aussi et j'ai récupéré mes dossiers. Bonne journée à toi.
      0
    3. thank you very much
      0
    4. Thank you, that helped me a lot!
      0
    5. thank you bro
      0
  2. Thank you for getting back to me.
    I tried what you told me: checking the display of hidden folders, but it still doesn't work; it says "ACCESS DENIED".
    Is there another way to recover my folder?

    PS:
    When I right-click on my folder and then "properties," it shows 0 bytes used, even though I know there are about 10 GB used...

    PLEASE, HELP ME!
    2
    1. I think your computer is infected, so you'll need to format it, and yes, my buddy, lol.
      0
    2. @buchoHello
      I also have a problem,
      I lost my cache files, and I know I could recover them in the folder options
      Unfortunately, in tools, there are no folder options!!!
      Is there another way to recover them? I have been searching personally for a long time
      I have a Windows XE Harman Kardon
      Thank you and see you soon
      0
  3. To clear your mind, switch to console mode and type ex f:/dir (if your drive is recognized as f)
    you will see all your folders if they are there
    if you see them, it's good, you can recover them or in (DOS console mode) copy and paste
    for example in DOS
    copy the files and directories
    xcopy *.jpg d:\example\ /s/y
    6
    1. Hi, splif 29, go to Explorer, and click on "tools/folder options", go to the "view" tab and uncheck the last box at the bottom: "use simple file sharing (recommended)". Then when you return to your directory, right-click and go to the security tab. I don't remember exactly the menus afterwards (it's been a while since I've done it) but you have the option to assign yourself the directory by making yourself the new owner. One piece of advice if you don't want to have the problem anymore: once you've claimed it, go to the security tab and in the permissions, add the user group "everyone".
      Hope this resolves your issue, see you later!
      10
      1. Okay, thanks, I'll give it a try.
        However, I don't know what the "console" mode is.
        5
        1. Thank you very much. I managed to recover my files.
          0
          1. Hello
            please help me How can I recover my hidden files when I can't find the folder options either in the "TOOLS" menu or in the control panel.
            Thanks everyone.
            6
            1. < 4 > bbar (Friday, November 24, 2006 at 08:57:01)

              Hi, splif 29, go into Explorer, and you do "tools/folder options", go to the "view" tab, and you will uncheck the last box at the bottom: "Use simple file sharing (recommended)". Then when you return to your directory, right-click and go to the security tab. I don’t remember exactly the menus afterwards (it’s been a while since I did it) but you have the option to take ownership of the directory by making yourself the new owner. One piece of advice if you don’t want to have a problem again: once you have taken ownership, go to the security tab and in the permissions, add the user group "Everyone".
              I hope this solves your problem, @+


              Personally, I used this technique and it works perfectly; a big thank you to you :D
              2
              1. Salut à tous, j'ai un problème. J'ai des dossiers cachés, mais quand je vais dans Panneau de configuration < Options des dossiers <, il n'y a plus l'option "Afficher les fichiers cachés". Aidez-moi s'il vous plaît.
                6
                1. Hello, I have a big problem in opening the files; it only shows the hidden files, not the others. What should I do? Please help.
                  1
                  1. Hi, I lost a lot of files (songs, videos) after formatting my PC. Is there a way to recover my files? Please reply if you can.
                    0
                    1. Hello, I need help. I had a laptop that stopped working, so I decided to recover the components that were still usable, including the hard drive. I bought a case for that famous hard drive, and now it acts like an external hard drive. My PC recognizes it correctly, but my problem is that it's a maximum 40 GB hard drive. I had used about 30 GB to store movies, music, and quite a few other things. When I check the used space, it really corresponds to what I had used, but I cannot find my files. What can I do?
                      THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
                      IT'S A XP HOME
                      0
                      1. Hello,

                        Following a mistake, I accidentally deleted a "msn messenger" folder using CCleaner that I shouldn't have :o
                        Can I still recover it and if so, how?!
                        Thank you in advance for your help... I am using XP and IE7!
                        0
                        1. Salut tout le monde, j'ai un problème. J'ai un dossier de musique où il y avait toute ma musique dedans, puis j'ai fait propriété ; lecture cachée, et là je ne retrouve plus mon dossier :(

                          Aidez-moi s'il vous plaît.
                          0
                          1. Hello, I had quite a few files on an external hard drive and now I can't open it. What software could recover all these files? Thank you in advance.
                            0
                            1. Hello everyone, I have a problem. I have a very important folder for me that is hidden and the folder options bar no longer exists on my PC. Please, how can I recover it? Thank you in advance.
                              0
                              1. I have problems with my computer

                                In the tools menu, I don't see folder options or in the control panel. What should I do to recover my hidden files and folders?

                                When I want to put my computer in hibernate, "hibernate" is disabled. What should I do?

                                When I start my computer, I hear 3 beeps and nothing appears on the screen, but after several attempts, the machine starts. Where is the fault?

                                In the start menu, I've lost search and run. What should I do to get them back? Even going into start menu properties, the two commands are not there. Can someone with good intentions help me? I'm a novice in this field.

                                Thank you.
                                0
                            2. Hi everyone.
                              I have a problem. In the explorer under "tools/folder options" in the view section, I can't find the option to show hidden folders.
                              Thank you.
                              0
                              1. Hello everyone,

                                This morning I couldn't start my PC (black screen with a repetitive beep), so I reinstalled Windows XP Pro without formatting the PC.
                                Now I can restart my PC, but I can't find my old files.
                                When I check the remaining space on my hard drive, it shows the same as before the reinstallation: is there a way to recover these files???

                                Thank you for your help.

                                Lulu56.
                                10
                                1. Hello: are there any teachers? Here is my problem: in the hidden file options display, I no longer see the hidden
                                  folders, what should I do, teachers? Thank you very much for your help.
                                  5
                                  1. My new software PHOTORECOVERY For Digital Media by AVANQUEST SOFTWARE
                                    crashed during its first use.
                                    What can I do?
                                    How can I recover my photos?
                                    Thank you very much
                                    Best regards.
                                    0
                                    • 1
                                    • 2