Traveller's cheque scam

Solved/Closed
Hello,

I would like to tell you what is happening to me right now:
I met a man on Myspace and I just realized I am the victim of a scam after reading the testimonies of other people, and I am so disgusted to have been so fooled!
Let me explain:
This New Yorker sent me a message on Myspace, finding him nice I replied to him, he asked me to chat with him on MSN, so far nothing worrisome, I went for it...
He sent me pictures of himself, oh I thought, he is swimming with dolphins, he must be really nice, he loves animals! He explained his professional situation to me that he has to travel a lot, and that he would like to find someone as he is a widower and unhappy being in the same situation as me, I gave him my heart without reservation....
During the conversation, he told me that he was leaving for Turkey the next day, and that he was happy he could come to France to meet me after his work, then he asked me if I could help him send money to a man in Turkey because he didn’t have time for that, and then.... He first asked me to give him some, naturally I said no and logged off, scolding myself for being so naive! But he didn’t stop there, he really made me believe that he loved me and that he didn’t want my money if it scared me, but that he found another solution TO SEND ME A TRAVEL CHECK FOR ME TO CASH IT IN FOR HIM AND SEND IT BACK TO THE MAN IN TURKEY, that would help him a lot and this way he could come see me faster because he didn’t have the time, too much work, don’t worry my love I’m honest! I realize that I am really so stupid! I realized that actually this person is Turkish and surely stole these checks!
My problem is what to do.... He sent me this check and I don’t know what to do! Please help me!

39 answers

  1. Attention !!! This is a big SCAM
    The traveler’s checks are fake, do not do anything with them!!!!
    10
    1. Hello everyone,
      Like you, I’m 30 years old and I’ve recently started looking for a job (but it's already too long) with my bank account starting to take a hit. Anyway, I regularly respond to job offers online. And I want to point out that even while looking for a job, you can still get scammed in 2013. I have training as an executive assistant and that's how I was offered to be the personal assistant of an English-speaking businessman. To this day, I still don’t understand how this gentleman got my email. The Englishman (I won’t reveal his name since I don’t have proof of the scam yet) contacted me and offered me the position of his personal assistant; I am supposed to open his mail, sort his emails, and do his shopping for €250 a week. At first glance, it seems like a good deal, but nonetheless too good to be true. That’s been my feeling from the start which is why I remain wary without showing it to him (not foolish, the wasp ^^). The gentleman also sends me pictures of himself; indeed, he looks quite English ^^ and rich to boot. Diamond ring (or at least something shiny with a bling-bling style) on his right pinky, a photo of him on the golf course, and a video of him playing an instrument (a bit like a celebrity). When I mention a contract and a meeting, the responses are vague because he is someone very busy and often on business trips (he works in oil). He’s actually abroad right now but it’s impossible to know exactly where (in Canada from what I gathered).
      And today, the big day, I received in my mailbox 8 American Express Travelers Cheques to cash in my bank...I’ll let you do the math knowing that I have never met this gentleman.
      I dream of believing that these cheques are real and that this man is honest…but I have a big doubt that I will clear up tomorrow morning by calling the French Travelers Cheque control agency.
      That's my little story!
      1
      1. Hello everyone!
        I too have almost been scammed.
        I responded to a job offer for an assistant position by requesting additional information about the proposed position.
        The person who replied claimed to be named James Whitcomb and explained that I would need to sort his mail, do some shopping for him, and he would cover all the expenses... blah blah blah. But since he is an American in the oil business, he travels a lot and we could meet in a few weeks. I asked to sign a work contract before starting to make everything official. He promised me that but also suggested sending me advance checks. He wrote that he was willing to pay me €300 per week for my work. He further explained that he would send me checks that I should cash at the bank, then I would keep my €300 and with the remaining money, I should go shopping and send him what I would buy.
        He almost asked me every day if I had received the checks. I replied that I had never received anything from him, and this lasted 2 months. He disappeared until 3 days ago. I received an email where he assured me that he sent the checks, and indeed, I found an envelope from Great Britain in my mailbox. Inside - 6 traveler's checks AMEX for 500 USD each. A remarkable counterfeit and those who have never used these checks might believe they are valid. I replied to him immediately and he told me to cash them at my bank and to keep him updated when the amount appears in my account. Once the amount was cashed, he would explain what I should do with the money. I started to doubt because it's not normal for someone to send you, without knowing you, just like that, 3000 USD on full trust. Moreover, despite my request, he never gave me his phone number. Nevertheless, since I am in a bit of a difficult situation now and I need a job, I decided to check. Hope dies last - what a fool I am!!! I asked the bank if the checks were fake and they confirmed it. I went directly to the police station with the checks and a copy of the emails to file a report. I replied to his email that I know the checks are fake and I haven't received any more messages from him.

        Now I regret that I didn’t take the opportunity to play with him, to make him hope in vain and then laugh afterward... But the important thing is that I didn’t suffer any damage and I don’t have problems with my bank.

        DON’T TRUST STRANGERS!!! My mother repeated it to me every day when I was little... now I understand this advice much better.

        And remember “If anything can go wrong, it will.” Edward Murphy
        1
        1. Hello!

          Oh my goodness, I’m glad I insisted on my research about Nicolas Girad! Thanks to his fake email address nicolasgiradd@gmail.com, I stumbled upon your comments, and I believe you’re going to save my life!

          A few weeks ago, I received an email saying I had been selected to be Mr. Nicolas Girad's personal assistant. In this email, he explained that I would be responsible for overseeing and checking his apartment in France, which is under renovation, and that he would be back by March 20 at the latest. At that time, actively looking for a job to pay my rent, I thought this was good news. The strange thing was that I didn't remember applying for this job because I couldn't find any CV I had sent him. I had applied for so many positions that I wasn't sure if I had or hadn’t.

          So I kept going. He explained that his French wasn't very good because he is English. Being a student in languages, I thought, well, this might be true. He asked me for personal information for the contract and I hesitated for a long time before giving him my info, but ultimately I did (so address, last name, phone number, social security number...) and a few days later, I received a contract that was half in English and half in French. I tried to research the company that was hiring me, but found nothing; it’s supposedly based in TEXAS, which didn't seem realistic at all. I trusted him...

          Then he explained that I would work every morning and that I would be paid by check, which I would receive soon. In the meantime, I researched again but found nothing. I thought I was just being paranoid. This dear man has asked me every day up to today if I received the checks; this morning I replied no, but when I opened my mailbox, there was an envelope that indeed came from the United Kingdom. I decided to do yet another search and found your comments! I indeed received checks that are EUROS TRAVELERS CHEQUES AMERICAN EXPRESS OF €500.

          What should I do? I don't want to be contacted by this person anymore, and what should I do with the checks??? Can I file a complaint for identity theft?? He has a lot of information about me, and that worries me...!!

          Thank you for your help.
          1
          1. Do not cash these CHECKS, they are probably and purely fake. If by misfortune you have already signed them, you must burn them immediately. Otherwise, you should contact the nearest gendarmerie and cut all communication with this scammer.

            This is supposedly his address, but these men are wanted by the British police and Interpol.

            First name: Namlizin Last name: Recham
            Address: 25 King's Cross Rd City: London
            Postal code: WC1X 9HX Country: England
            0
        2. Hello Clarissen
          especially don’t do anything regarding the check, it’s a scam and it could backfire on you.
          0
          1. If you reply to me, I can give you more details on the subject.
            0
            1. Forget to tell you if you received this check do not cash it under any circumstances it can come back to haunt you I almost got caught on that side, it’s a blatant scam.

              0
              1. you are having like me do not give money under any pretext without the scam
                0
                1. Hello,
                  I just applied for a driver position for an 8-month mission on behalf of a director from Exxon Mobil lol ????? M. Raul Corssita) WILL KNOW IF HE HAS 50,000 NAMES (too high the amount he is offering me for the mission, and he sent me traveler's checks 4 times 500; all the same, I am convinced that this is money laundering or a scam like Western Union, etc. since he is asking me to send 1,500 EUR via Western Union to someone named Fahad Jagadayu.
                  So I am keeping silent until I find proof. Just to know, I will have the traveler's checks checked and if they turn out to be fake, I will FILE a complaint with the police.
                  HERE are the contact details of the person clericy jean marc, robert ;; te 001 408 256 8735;;
                  email zarabrownn@gmail.com

                  I am convinced that it is a scam and I am doing all possible research without success; if you have been contacted by the same process this is proof that it is a scam; I await your news and thank you in advance.
                  jony

                  --
                  me, jony
                  0
                  1. Contributor
                    Hello..
                    This is just one of the variants of the "fake money order" scam.. You're right to have the authenticity of these money orders checked..
                    As soon as Western Union, Mandat Cash, or other 'clones' like Moneygram, Aboulefric, etc. show up, extreme caution is necessary! Reversing excess money via an untraceable and unsecured means (W.U..) from a check (money order, bank check, or 'ordinary' check..) or even from a transfer is characteristic of an ongoing scam..
                    Keep us updated on the verification (Don't talk to a 'bank idiot'..).
                    Later
                    0
                  2. @AfrikarnakHELLO, thanks for your response, no risk, however the traveler's checks remain in my possession, false I destroy and true I keep, but from experience I recognize that they are genuine. What I don't appreciate is the manipulative approach of using a job advertisement; anyway, I replied that I would not follow up until I receive a genuine personal check with identification. Otherwise, he can say goodbye to his manipulation.
                    0
                  3. Contributor
                    If you have already called the number with the 408 area code and spoken with the supposed employer of EXXON, then they are located in Santa Clara County (San José, California).
                    0
                  4. @jonymetisI received exactly the same email, except that this person is named Nicolas Giradd and I completed his first transaction of €1730 to this dear Mr. Mike Jagdayu, to which he again sent me money, and it’s only now that I realize the scam...

                    I had asked my bank during my first visit if these were not fake and that I wasn’t involved in money laundering, they told me no, and that I shouldn’t worry, and after cashing the check I was able to withdraw it a week later. I understand that it’s a huge mistake, but why do this with real checks?

                    Anyway, I will no longer continue making these transactions, but the question remains: what should I do with these new checks?
                    0
                  5. @GokuhiDo you have his email?
                    0
                2. Hello,
                  I myself dealt with a scammer when I posted an ad on Le Bon Coin. A so-called British man, working for an airline, so often traveling.
                  He sent me 4x500 euros in Travellers Cheques (when I only asked him for 100 euros). He told me I had to sign the cheques, put them in my name, exchange them at my bank to get cash, and send the change via Western Union. So, I signed the cheques and wrote my name on them. Then I got a phone call from a friend, we chatted, and I explained to her what I was doing. And then, she stopped me and explained that it was a SCAM! That the cheques were probably fake and that I needed to file a complaint.
                  So, I didn't cash the cheques, but they are signed (even if they are fake). If I go to the gendarmerie, will the fact that I signed the cheques and put my name be a problem?
                  Plus, this crook also has my name, my address, my mobile number, etc. I'm a bit worried that he might try to contact me again or something, since he has personal info (address...), what do you think?
                  Should I make him walk?
                  Thanks in advance.
                  1
                  1. Hello,
                    I can reassure you because by filing a complaint for "breach of trust," you are legally "covered"! And this scammer is not going to try to come to your home for fear of getting arrested! Scammer? Yes, but certainly not courageous! You have nothing to fear; he probably has another victim already!
                    0
                  2. Can you give us his email address?
                    0
                  3. Hello,

                    During a sale of photo equipment for €140, a person with poor French claiming to be interested sent me 3 travelers cheques of €500, coming from Greece, asking me to cash them, deduct the amount of the purchase, and give him the remainder; I refused and went to file a report at the police station, who advised me to contact the financial brigade first thing Monday morning.

                    Since then, this person has been trying to intimidate me via email.

                    Do you think I have anything to fear? I don't feel reassured.

                    Holy Holly, did you have any follow-up?

                    Thank you for your testimonies.
                    0
                  4. Contributor
                    Hello..
                    It would be false, which will probably be confirmed on Monday... Keep the emails for header analysis (Identification of the source..). You have nothing to fear from the authorities nor from the person who is threatening you (So file a complaint..). What personal information does the scammer have about you? You did well not to cash those checks! If the scammer resides in Greece, there will be a possibility of investigation (which would be impossible in Africa..), this recurring story of false checks is on the radar of the authorities.. Keep us updated on what happens next..
                    Later
                    0
                  5. Hello, a certain Carl Los (that's original) who supposedly lives in Finland wants to buy my 125cc scooter for 1650 euros (the price of my ad on Le Bon Coin). He sent me 3000 euros in travelers' checks, 6 x 500 euros (received this afternoon). So far I haven't confirmed anything; I need to tell him when I receive them, and I assume he's waiting for me to cash them in before asking me for a bunch of very funny things. After reading your posts, I felt like filming the 6 checks burning in a trash can and sending him this beautiful little short film... and then, well, the anger fades. Since there's no damage yet, I was wondering how to make his life hell as much as possible, or even more.
                    0
                3. Good evening everyone,

                  Recently, I was contacted by Mr. Wenzhao Xie (or someone impersonating him) from the company diesel.models.uk

                  I was tricked into signing a fake contract!
                  As a result, I am being prosecuted for attempted fraud against the postal service for 2500 euros of counterfeit travelers checks...........
                  1
                  1. Bonjour, et moi aussi, je viens de savoir que la personne qui m'a envoyé des faux travellers chèques. Je suis bête, mais voilà, je passe une année difficile et la personne est toujours en contact avec moi. Je ne sais plus quoi faire, je voudrais de l'aide. Merci.
                    0
                    1. Welcome to the club! The checks are not stolen but rather "fake" ones (of very good quality). You can have a little fun and "make them wait" by explaining that your bank is blocking these checks due to several scams and yada yada yada.......! Or you can frame them... but whatever you do, don't cash them because in 60 days your bank will ask you to reimburse the amount of the fake checks. If you haven't filed a complaint for breach of trust, you will be accused of possessing counterfeit! Kudos to this site for allowing girls like me, who have been scammed, to warn you not to make the same mistake. They know how to play very well with our feelings! But the wake-up call is very hard! Keep your money for yourself and your loved ones; you surely need it! Don't let yourself get fooled! I was also contacted by an American stationed in Afghanistan! But upon closer inspection, his uniform bears an English patch. When I asked him why an American soldier would wear an English patch, he cut off contact!...... Good luck! You can reach me at my email if you want: mihyr@dbmail.com
                      0
                      1. Hi,

                        More and more scams involving counterfeit traveler’s checks are being reported to AVEN Europe.

                        You must not cash them for the reasons mentioned above. Due to money laundering, one person was taken into custody in Greece and is charged with complicity in money laundering, forgery, and use of forgery..
                        0
                    2. Hello,

                      My name is Agnès. Your story is similar to mine; I also met a man on Meetic who claimed to be American and a soldier in Baghdad, Iraq. He was also widowed and a father of a 10-year-old boy. I believed his story
                      and to quickly come and join me and retrieve a package, he sent me traveler's checks worth 7,000.00 euros, which I cashed and transferred to someone in GHANA.
                      After verification, it turns out that those checks are fake, and my bank will charge me that amount, leaving me with a frozen account and suspected of money laundering.
                      So please do nothing except go to the police to report those checks, do not make any transactions, and most importantly, do not get in touch with this man again, as he only wants your money.
                      Good luck,
                      Agnès
                      0
                      1. Don’t cash them in!
                        Call Paris Travellers, they will give you the phone number where you can find out what’s going on by providing the cheque numbers!
                        For sure, it’s a scam!
                        Good luck!
                        0
                        1. Hi, I'm Mattias and a certain David Miller sent me €2,500 in traveler's checks under the pretext of taking photos of me, in my opinion to create false documents. Whatever you do, don't cash the money because you could become an accomplice. Be careful, consult a lawyer; consultations are free at all courts.
                          Hi
                          0
                          1. Hello, I was a victim of an American, supposedly on a business trip in Greece. He asked me to exchange traveler’s cheques, claiming that he couldn't do it in Greece! I followed his instructions to the letter and today I find myself with a complaint from the post office where I deposited the travelers! What is going to happen to me? What can I do??? I'm so scared!! This man acted under the name of Daniel Maiden, living in New Jersey, and through the site Easy Flirt!!! At first, I believed in a beautiful story and I got deceived!!
                            0
                            1. Hello Nath,

                              Could you sign up on the private messaging? I know someone who is going through the same thing as you in Heraklion regarding a scam via Facebook involving travelers' checks that she cashed. She was detained for 24 hours and is currently charged with forgery and use of forgery. Thank you.
                              0
                            2. I am also a victim of a Canadian, Garry Fagan, who is supposedly going to be transferred to Paris soon, but he first has to make a trip to Paris. I received his checks and cashed them, then I sent them to him in Athens. I should have honestly answered my bank when they questioned me about the origin of the checks. The fear I had when the bank called me to say that they were fake. The shame of being a victim like this.
                              I don't know what options we might have to recover my money.
                              0
                            3. I am a victim of an Englishman named David Miller.
                              0
                            4. @newlife2010The "Garry Fagan"? He scammed me too! Fake Travelers! I filed a complaint in time for breach of trust so I wouldn't be accused of forgery and use of forgery!
                              I found her on Hi5/My Space/Pipl/ and Bebo! I'm left in debt! If I had the means, knowing where to find him... I would go!
                              I've seen plenty of girls who will be his next victims! But how can I warn them?
                              0
                            5. @newlife2010THERE IS NO RECOURSE!
                              Maybe by coming together! in an association or something and filing a complaint at the Greek consulate!
                              I have an address!
                              I would love to see this Garry face to face! wearing pretty bracelets! How about you?
                              0
                          2. Contributor
                            Hello franfran,

                            How are you doing with your story?
                            1
                            1. It's a scam!
                              If you receive traveler's checks, bring them directly to the police station because they will be fake!
                              If you have doubts, take them to the bank, but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you return the money!
                              Wait at least 8 weeks to know if they are real (it took me 6 weeks for them to tell me they were fake and the money was gone because my banker told me it was fine! And I have no recourse). Don't make the same mistake as me.
                              2
                              1. Me too, the bank credited my account. They shouldn't have if the checks are fake. Now I find myself with a debt of 3000 Euros.
                                0
                              2. Also ... contacted online, I cashed 3000 euros in traveler's checks and now, two months later, I find myself with a debit of 3000 euros that I have to repay to my bank. I don't know what recourse we can have in such cases; I just hope not to have any problems with the law ... good luck to everyone!!
                                0
                              3. @sissiDo you have this person's email? For the file?
                                0
                            2. Contributor
                              Good evening Franfran

                              I advise you to take these travelers' checks to the police station as soon as possible, because they are fake.
                              You are in contact with a scammer, likely a Nigerian, who wants to use you for money laundering.

                              Not only are you risking serious problems with your bank, but you could also be accused of complicity and fraud.

                              So, you must not speak to this guy anymore. Delete him from your contacts, do not respond to emails or phone calls, and go to the police station first thing tomorrow.

                              I hope you do what I say.

                              Isis
                              0
                              1. Hello everyone,

                                Selling an item for 350 euros, I received 1500 euros in traveler’s checks; after checking with the bank, of course, they are fake... Be careful! He says his name is Cage Berian and he contacted me through eBay.
                                0
                              2. @Lolodu45Hello
                                I just received a letter containing 6 traveler checks of 500 euros each
                                they came from Greece
                                you must not cash them because you would be prosecuted for possession of counterfeit and use of forgery
                                call 0800 832 820, it's a traveler control organization
                                best wishes
                                0
                            • 1
                            • 2