USERINIT.EXE - Application error

Solved
Hello,
At Windows XP startup everything works perfectly. However, when I try to log in to my session a message appears 2 TIMES:

"USERINIT.EXE - Application Error
The application failed to initialize correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application"

Then for hours I still have my wallpaper without the Start menu or Desktop icons.
Everything is stuck even when performing Windows XP advanced startups. And I don’t have the Windows XP CD.

Would there be a way to fix this problem?

I’m looking forward to your reply!
Configuration: Windows XP SP2 ACER Internet Explorer 7.0

16 answers

  1. Thank you for your help! it works
    8
    1. TRANSLATION:

      A MEDITATE...

      If one day your computer gets stuck, just restart by turning off the Power button (do not do this all the time, the computer will come back when the problem is resolved...) Restart normally. Log in to your session. If you see that the desktop does not display after 5 to 10 minutes, simply do this: CTRL+ALT+DELETE (pressed, or press simultaneously until a window appears on your screen). You will then arrive at the Task Manager. You need to restore your PC. To access "System Restore," go to File > New Task (Run...), then go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\RESTORE\rstrui.exe. OK. Restore the PC to an earlier date.

      Patience...........

      Now, access your session again; you will then see that the wallpaper is still there. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, you will arrive at the Task Manager once more. Wait 5 to 10 minutes and if it works, the "System Restore" menu will appear; if the restoration is complete, click OK. You will then see, with SURPRISE!!!, your Desktop appears. If not, perform another restore until the restoration is complete.
      0
    2. @jchorelIf one day your computer stalls, just restart by turning off the power button (don’t do this trick all the time; the computer will come back when the problem is solved…) Restart normally.

      I didn’t understand well
      0
    3. @jchorelA big thank you jchorel, your solution worked for me (C:\WINDOWS\System32\RESTORE\rstrui.exe.).

      Mroups
      0
  2. it's very simple, actually in the task manager you mark "userinit.exe" ;)
    0
    1. Thank you very much Mr jchorel, your solution works well
      0
      1. Hello, I have the same issue with the same error message. I’m using a laptop and I don’t know what to do. I’m trying everything without success. If you can give me steps to follow, please. Thanks in advance.
        0
        1. Hello to you, I have the same problem with USERINIT.EXE but I don’t have my wallpaper, I have a black screen instead and when I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete I get a new message with this time logonUI.exe; plus in “without failure” mode I don’t have access to BitDefender

          Help me plz.....
          0
          1. Always after Alt+Ctrl+Del and a new task write "exolorer" and it gives you the Windows Explorer to display the desktop
            0
        2. Hi there, if you still have your problem I might be able to tell you that on an Acer it can depend on your configuration. For example, my brother formats PCs and he already told me that if an Acer is on XP or Vista you can't install XP Service Pack 2 because it could cause problems, if I understood what he said. So this is for you, about the original license number of your computer—depending on your configuration you might fix it with a software called Acer Media Center or something like that, something like a trick. My brother has an Acer and it was on Vista and it drove him crazy, so he formatted it to Acer Media Center and no more problems because it's an Acer-origin software. Good luck to you.
          0
          1. Hi there mate!!!
            I’ve solved my problem.
            Here’s the solution:
            At Windows startup, while the ACER logo is showing, press ALT+F10 at the same time; if you’re lucky, you’ll access System Restore. This will delete (even format your hard drive, make sure you’ve properly backed up your data somewhere with eRecovery). Format it!!!
            Then reinstall your PC as if you just bought it!!!!
            AND IT WORKS!!!!!
            --
            Knowledge calls for patience
            Impatience does not call for knowledge!!!
            0
        3. Hello to you all,

          I have the same problem as jchorel with userinit

          but I followed the explanations and I still have the same problem

          (i had already written a message about this... here it is

          here I have the same problem with userinit.exe error... like you others I go through the Task Manager to go on the net or else, I tried your trick but it doesn't work for me, when I want to enable System Restore it always shows the same phrase (The application failed to initialize correctly (0xc0000005) Click OK to terminate the program) I tried in Safe Mode and still the same result

          what to do ????
          do you think formatting would be a solution? isn’t there a simpler one?)
          0
          1. Hello to you all,

            Here I have the same problem with userinit.exe error... like you others, I go through Task Manager to go on the internet or elsewhere. I tried your tip but for me it doesn’t work. When I try to enable System Restore, it always shows the same message (The application failed to initialize correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application). I tried in Safe Mode and still the same result.

            What should I do ???? Do you think formatting would be a solution? Isn’t there an easier way?
            0
            1. Thanks to Jchorel for his simple and effective tip, which avoids the perennial "reformatting" used for anything and everything...
              On this last point, in my humble opinion, reformatting should be used only as a last resort.
              0
              1. sorry but I think we only need to reinstall XP or rather repair it using a BOOT CD.

                Otherwise, try this msdos command in "start/ run"

                type: cmd
                then
                expand userinit.ex_ userinit.exe

                then type:
                exit

                restart the PC.
                0
                1. Bah! why don’t you do (Ctrl+Alt+Del) it works! it lands on the Task Manager ??
                  0
              2. I have a friend who has the same problem:
                "USERINIT.EXE - Application error
                The application failed to initialize correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application."

                Thank you for helping us.
                0
                1. Everyone says what they mean without references,
                  it's simple, there is a headband that doesn't work well, it must be removed and put in the trash. and replaced with another one.
                  Elmadani
                  0
              3. Log fichier de Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
                Analyse enregistrée à 0:11:04, le 3/08/2008
                Plateforme : Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                MSIE : Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
                Mode de démarrage : Normal

                Processus en cours d’exécution:
                C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
                C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
                C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
                C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
                C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DKService.exe
                C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
                C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
                C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
                C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
                C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
                C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
                C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageMonitor.exe
                C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
                C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
                C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
                C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
                C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
                C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster 2\RegistryBooster.exe
                C:\Program Files\USRobotics\Wireless USB Manager\USR54G.exe
                C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
                C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\usnsvc.exe
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
                C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

                Résultats:
                R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://www.skyrock.com/m/messages/messages_index.php?page=1
                R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = https://www.msn.com/fr-fr/?ocid=iehp
                R1 - HKLM - Default_Search_URL = https://www.bing.com/?toHttps=1&redig=5FC791212101479BAFBE1A679848B1AF
                R1 - HKLM - Search Page = https://www.bing.com/?toHttps=1&redig=5FC791212101479BAFBE1A679848B1AF
                R0 - HKLM - Start Page = https://www.msn.com/fr-fr/?ocid=iehp
                R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://runonce.msn.com/runonce3.aspx
                R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
                R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Liens
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Anti-Blaxx Manager] C:\Program Files\Anti-Blaxx 1.18\Anti-Blaxx.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OSSelectorReinstall] C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Acronis\Partition Suite\oss_reinstall.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrueImageMonitor.exe] C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageMonitor.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] "C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Bittorrent] C:\WINDOWS\bittorrent.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BM9bc17923] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\gfaguxqo.dll",s
                O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [98f24abf] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\nsllerxg.dll",b
                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
                O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RegistryBooster 2 d’Uniblue ] C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster 2\RegistryBooster.exe /S
                O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SERVICE LOCAL')
                O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SERVICE RÉSEAU')
                O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
                O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
                O4 - Global Startup: USRobotics Wireless USB Adapter.lnk = C:\Program Files\USRobotics\Wireless USB Manager\USR54G.exe
                O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
                O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Synchronizer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AdobeCollabSync.exe
                O8 - Menu contextuel supplémentaire: Exporter vers Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
                O9 - Bouton supplémentaire: (sans nom) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
                O9 - Élément de menu « Tools » supplémentaire: Console Java (Sun) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
                O9 - Bouton supplémentaire: Recherche - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
                O9 - Bouton supplémentaire: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                O9 - Élément de menu « Tools » supplémentaire: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1214327681093
                O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
                O20 - AppInit_DLLs: pfvquw.dll,nrrnyq.dll,avgrsstx.dll
                O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
                O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
                O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
                O23 - Service: Service Bonjour (Bonjour Service) - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
                O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DKService.exe
                O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
                O23 - Service: Service de l'iPod (iPod Service) - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
                O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
                O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
                O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe

                --
                End of file - 7669 bytes
                0
                1. You create a new task and you put anything, and normally it should work.
                  0
                  1. post a HijackThis log
                    0
                    1. The operation worked (Ctrl+Alt+Delete or Delete). A window appears with the Task Manager. But how do I display the Desktop, I’m talking about the Desktop with the wallpaper, the Start menu, and the desktop icons?
                      0
                  2. I also have this problem
                    I don’t know how to solve it but to display your desktop simply do
                    Ctrl+Alt+Delete the task manager appears
                    click on new task => browse => C Documents and Settings => your account => Start Menu => Programs => Accessories => Windows Explorer

                    For me the link gives this
                    "C:\Documents and Settings\Inti\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer.lnk"
                    Normally the desktop appears
                    but to solve the problem I don’t know and for me there isn’t only that
                    there is also
                    rundll32.exe and cmd.exe which don’t work
                    I don’t know how to open my security center nor even set their. my summer was blocked in September 2020 I had to go to the bios to change it
                    and I deleted hundreds of errors detected by RegistryBooster2
                    my antivirus detects nothing and I don’t know what to do
                    please help us xd
                    0
                    1. Ctrl+Alt = OK
                      But for you, what is "Delete" ?
                      0
                  3. It's a Windows logon application. It is supposed to terminate after the session starts. That said, you may have picked up malware that uses this file. Can you perform a Safe Boot?
                    1
                    1. Of course at startup I press F8 and select "Safe Mode". I wait from 5 to 10 minutes and my session is offered. I click but now I’m told the same problem again: USERINIT.EXE The application failed to initialize properly... 2 TIMES!!! Then here is the black background, on the sides the name "Safe Mode" appears with "Windows XP... SP2..." at the very top. But for hours nothing helps. How can I fix this problem?
                      0