WD Unlocker, blocked DD

Hello,

Silly question for sure,
I bought a WD external hard drive a few months ago that has the technology that allows you to lock the hard drive with a password if I'm not mistaken.
However, I have used it several times without any issues.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine recently bought a WD external hard drive, and from the very first connection, it doesn’t open, and the icon is not an external hard drive icon but a padlock marked with a WD, and if you open it, it contains two folders (Extras and Local), an Autorun info file and the WD Drive Unlock application.
He doesn't know anything about it, so I tried to unlock the hard drive, but to no avail...
When we launch the WD Unlocker software, it asks for a password, but we never entered a password, the drive is straight out of the packaging --'
We can't do anything with this drive, neither copy-paste, nor add folders, nor anything...
I looked online, it talks about WD SmartWare and others, but they are anything but clear regarding unlocking a hard drive, and I don't know if it's normal for it to be locked like this, especially since mine has never done that...

In short, what steps should be taken to be able to use his hard drive please? Thanks in advance.

--
When one doesn’t know, one doesn’t ask too many questions, but when you start to have a little explanation, you want to know everything, to understand everything at all costs.
(Bernard Werber)

2 answers

  1. Hello Sebii@19 :)

    I'd like to step in and lend a hand, but I must admit I don't know the situation you're facing, and it would be difficult to give ideas or explore possible avenues :) From the context of your message, I understand that the issue arises with the password you set on your external WD hard drive... However, a bit more detail would be welcome :) Did you set the password using WD Security, or did you use third-party software?
    If you used alternative methods (requiring code validation + verification + secret question), does the software indicate that the password is rejected? Are there any means provided by this utility to recover the password (e.g., a validation email, a validation phone number, etc.)?

    Some security software allows you to enter a password hint to help the user remember the password set? Another idea that comes to mind is to check if, at the time you created your password, you used the "Remember my password on this computer" feature. If so, you could connect your hard drive to the PC through which you configured the password.

    There you go... these are just possible leads...

    Otherwise, the only way to recover a password is to reset the hard drive (which involves wiping the hard drive and deleting all data on it).

    Feel free to let me know the details, please :) See you later

    --
    -----
    If you found the answer to your question, feel free to click on Resolved to help other members with the same issue ;)
    0