Launch a program remotely
Solved
Hello everyone,
I am trying to find out if it is possible to launch a program from pc1 on pc2 (the program is in a shared directory and I have all the necessary rights). The reason I am reaching out to you is that my problem is a bit more complicated. I do not want to install any software or need to download additional components beyond those present on Windows XP.
I am trying to find out if it is possible to launch a program from pc1 on pc2 (the program is in a shared directory and I have all the necessary rights). The reason I am reaching out to you is that my problem is a bit more complicated. I do not want to install any software or need to download additional components beyond those present on Windows XP.
Configuration: Windows XP Internet Explorer 6.0
21 answers
-
Uh, I didn't read everything :-( and in particular, I missed the fact that the target is XP. There is a ready-made program that can do the job, it's PsExec
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec?redirectedfrom=MSDN
Dead link replaced -
Hi everyone
instead of bothering you, use netcat, it's free and easy to use -
Hello everyone.
So, in the madness of twisted commands
I'm looking to have on a "server" PC multiple desktops (or screens) but with only one display
and several client PCs running Windows, Linux, Android, and iPad with a client installed listening on the server.
On the master PC, I want to be able to launch an application (like GIMP, Photoshop, VLC) and with just a right-click, send one of the windows to one of the client PCs which will display it in full screen.
There shouldn't be any action needed on the client side. -
To run a program remotely, you create a batch file on PC2 that calls the program in question and save it in a shared folder on PC2.
Then, you just have to call that batch file from your PC1 using another batch file.-
The best tool in my opinion is PSEXEC
http://syskb.com/executer-un-programme-sur-un-systeme-distant/
-
-
Tough luck, the iPhone has Bluetooth limitations to avoid security issues and also because it's Apple's strategy to restrict certain options...
-
Désolé, je ne peux pas vous aider avec ça.
-
Rather than using Shutdown in an open session with PSExec, it is MUCH easier to use PSShutdown, which is included in the same archive.
-
Hello,
I discovered this post that could solve my problems. I would also like to launch applications without going through VNC.
When I run this command
psexec.exe -e -i \\computerName notepad
it shows a bunch of comments in the cmd and doesn't launch my notepad. I'm really having a hard time understanding how it works :s -
RE,
I would like the same thing as Olivier,
I can already execute shutdown to turn off the computer remotely,
but that's because the syntax option allows it from the command itself!
And then I have to log onto my server as an administrator first! ex: open \\nomdupc\admin$
I enter the login and the Administrator credentials and I run the command in the DOS command prompt:
shutdown "-m \\nomdupc" ----> remote
"-s" -------------------> to turn it off
etc.. (see help by typing the command "shutdown")
It works!!!
But I would like to do it all in one command.
Does anyone know a syntax for a pre-command to send a command as an administrator
like:
shutdown "-m \\nomdupc" -s -f /user.administrator pass
I have already tried that, it doesn't work- ;-)
I also tried to launch it by double-clicking on the remote machine by entering the directory, but it's mine that shuts down :-) :-$
I'm going to gather some information to see if pstools would allow me to run other applications this way remotely,
especially how!
I would also like to share an application, let me explain:
- Install, for example, Nero in a shared folder that I would put as a network drive on the client PC (the installer itself on the client machine if needed) and start a burn on the server PC's burner
- a way to install a download manager software and be able to manage the downloads, etc... that the other machine executes or will execute
- last example, run the Windows firewall from the service pack 2 of the other workstation and be able to adjust preferences (by double-clicking the file extension %system%, it's the client machine that opens)
If possible without alternative software like VNC, but with any network configuration.
The last (for now) operation or procedure that I would like to know
is how to share the CPU resources of a PC that would be idle on my network,
even if that means setting up a whole new PC
Don't hesitate if you have any of this information!!!!
Thanks to all -
Hello,
For the router:
type "ipconfig" in the command prompt
take the IP address of your gateway,
type it in your internet browser after "http://***.***.*.*"
And you will access the graphical interface of your router
It will likely ask you for a login and a password (even by default)
check the manufacturer's website or the router's manual -
I want to access the router from my PC on a local network.
What should I do? -
Hello,
I had the same problem as Olivier, and I want to say that I tried psexec.exe and it works perfectly.
A simple example: Launch Windows Notepad on the other machine:
psexec.exe -e -i \\computerName notepad
Thank you
Sébastien -
Good evening everyone
I have a problem with this same software; I'm trying to launch my app on a remote machine. I see it in the processes, but the graphical application does not launch. I've tried several exes, including notepad.exe. Do you have an answer for me?
"The only thing I know is that I know nothing." -
The problem is therefore solved, I used pstools, and more specifically psexec. It is a DOS command that allows you to launch an executable remotely, available for free download on Microsoft's website. The usage is simple and the tool comes in the form of an executable (it is present on the machine sending the command but not on the PC receiving the command).
-
If someone knows a way to get the source code of psexec or an equivalent tool to see how they did that, it would be very helpful to me. Thank you.
-
Well, in the end, it wasn't the last one. I would like to get some clarification about pstools. It's for use in a program. So, do I need to install it on the PC or do I place it with the files of my program? Is there a preferred location?
And when I call psexec, do I need to specify its location? Should I execute it, or do I just type psexec in the command prompt (or in the batch file) and it takes care of itself? I would appreciate all these clarifications, thank you. -
So this message is apparently the last one, thanks to everyone, I've decided to use the psexec command from pstools. I didn't want to download anything but miracles...
So thank you nantoine, I'm downloading pstools from Microsoft. -
Remote desktop connection (basic on Windows) for example?
-
You may find me annoying and demanding, but I didn't want to download anything (components or software), so psexec and vnc are out of the question.
As for rsh commands, they are no longer available with XP (Nantoine must be right, it must be for security reasons).
Maybe I am being too demanding and there is no solution.
But when I have a virus on my PC, it executes by itself...
So it must be possible... (plus I have administrative rights) -
Hello,
Normally, the answer is no (there are too many security risks involved).
That said, there are techniques that can achieve similar outcomes.
A first technique is to open a session directly on PC2 (either using NetMeeting/sharing the desktop, a Remote Desktop client, or via VNC, ssh, rsh, or an equivalent).
Another technique is to have a program running continuously on PC2 (a service) that is responsible for launching the specific program when PC1 gives it any indication; in fact, this is a simplified version of the above case, but it's simple enough for a programmer to handle; however, be sure to study the protocol's security carefully.
For programmers, there's the DCOM protocol, which allows you to execute a COM program (from Microsoft) on another machine (which means you need to significantly modify the program to comply with Microsoft’s conditions). In fact, this is a variation of the above case, as the service on PC2 is installed with Windows! And if you dig a little, you'll see that configuring all of this regarding security is not easy...
- 1
- 2
Next