G Data Internet Security

Solved
I just installed G Data Internet Security following an article published in a specialized magazine. Unfortunately for me, my computer is now sluggish. It takes me several minutes to open a page on the internet, and I’m not even talking about downloading updates for Spybot, for example!

Who can help me properly configure my laptop?

Thank you in advance
Configuration: Windows XP SP2 Mozilla Firefox

29 answers

  1. Hello.
    It's really a stroke of luck.
    Sorry for the huge delay.
    http://forum.telecharger.01net.com/forum/high-tech/LOGICIELS/Logiciels-divers/regler-problemes-surf-sujet_263705_1.htm
    I hope it will be useful to someone.
    Happy surfing.
    7
    1. Before installing anything on your PCs like antivirus, spyware, or anything else, make sure to run AVCLEANER first. Everything goes smoothly without issues!
      0
      1. Sure, additionally disassociate from the RSO and disable the Windows firewall.
        0
    2. Already remove Spybot, no need with GData on! Otherwise, go to 01.net, there are explanations to boost your PC, it seems difficult, you just follow the instructions. Or at worst, download TuneUp trial version 2010, then do a one-click maintenance, you will see why your PC is slow! Best regards
      BRUNO
      As for the free ones, yesterday I had a problem with the GData support, it's impossible to reach them, so I put Avira in the meantime, and within a day, I encountered 2 viruses and 2 infected files + a phishing attempt in my mail. My GData came back and destroyed everything, BOOM! Also, I added Norman Malware, and he deletes everything he finds suspicious right away! I'm really happy with it. Now I'm testing the new Microsoft one (replacement for OneCare) with my wife's PC; if it's good, I'll let you know. See you soon!
      0
      1. You simply need to disable:
        the internet protection and the anti-phishing protection.
        0
        1. Hello,
          I would like to share my problem with G Data 2010 that I bought about a month ago.
          I have already asked the question on other forums but have not received any answers to my issue, which has been ongoing.
          Here’s the situation:
          I install G Data 2010 properly, restart my PC, and then a window opens telling me that "G Data firewall-Service is not running."
          "G Data antivirus: the G Data antivirus application could not start, a component is not installed."
          Yet after the complete installation of G Data, my PC tells me it is installed correctly!
          So I keep cleaning my computer and reinstalling G Data, but this problem persists.

          Has anyone experienced the same issue and can someone please provide a solution? =)
          0
          1. Hi,

            I can't find the option in the firewall to see the connections that we have accepted or blocked, can someone please help me?

            Thank you :)
            0
            1. Hello everyone
              Contrary to what most participants think, it's the firewall that causes the blockage; the proof is that if we temporarily disable it, we can browse. (Test it to see).
              Well, here is the solution to this internet connection blockage problem (DNS). (Explorer, MSN, Firefox, etc...)
              1- Start GDATA
              2- Select the Firewall tab at the top
              3- Choose Rule Sets on the left
              4- Right-click on Trusted Networks and then choose Edit
              A window will open with several options
              5- Choose (Allow or deny access to a given application) and then click Next
              6- In the path, look for the location of your application and paste it there.
              7- In (Connection direction), choose the one that suits you best; I chose (Inbound/Outbound)

              N.B.: Do 1 to 7 for every application (all your browsers, for example) that you personally use to access the net.
              If you don't know the path for (6), go see the properties of the application and copy the target to paste it in (6) afterwards.
              There you go
              A+
              0
              1. Incredible, I feel like I'm in Ali Baba's cave! I'm discovering the flaws in Orange's G Data (even though it's recommended by computer magazines): as a beginner in tech, it's making my head spin!
                I have the trial version of G Data but I can't even update the antivirus!
                Is there anyone who can help me?
                Thank you
                0
                1. Hello

                  for the last few months, G Data may have changed. It may be lighter, less buggy, and maybe their support speaks French and knows how to resolve the issues mentioned here some time ago.
                  But maybe not.
                  If it still has the same flaws (it disgusted me, I’m not ready to resell it or recommend it to my clients), I advise you to forget about it. As mentioned above, the free combo:
                  Avira + Spybot S&D is great.
                  Coupled with a cleanup tool (CCleaner), and a quick scan with Malwarebytes from time to time, it works smoothly for a long time without any trouble.

                  It’s up to you; for me and dozens of new or old PCs for my clients, it works :)

                  See you later

                  Franck, Micro38
                  0
              2. OK, I have read everything carefully and taken into account all your opinions as well as the two rules to apply. I will check on Google. See you soon, and thank you again for the help you provide on this forum. Skill, knowledge, kindness, and....... patience towards the "newbies": I say "hats off, Sir!"
                0
                1. It's kind of you to talk about the sunshine, but for the last two days, well, we're burning up. :)

                  As for the rest, my nickname tells you everything, Google will tell you the rest ;)

                  And to answer your question, since we're not here to advertise ;) antivirus + spybot as I described seems to me (but you will find a thousand different opinions here) the best compromise.
                  Unbeatable price/quality ratio since = 0 €, in the various comparative files, in each of the fields, antivirus on its own is often in the top 3, and spybot is also in the anti-pests-that-are-not-viruses category.

                  Honestly, for 15 years, I don't know how many versions I've tested of
                  Kaspersky (quite effective), G Data (which disappoints me despite its brute effectiveness), avg, panda, symantec, norton (yuck, I've often uninstalled it, never installed), avast (very good until 2007, since then they have been messing around), nod, and so on. I've learned 2 rules:
                  1- what is true today will be false tomorrow, in the realm of "best antivirus"
                  2- none has ever achieved perfection (simple, effective, free for life, etc.)
                  0
                  1. Thank you for everything. It's refreshing to deal with someone who "knows their stuff" and speaks their mind! I'm good for the next purchase, but based on your username, you’re in the Grenoble area and I’m up in the North! Unless you give me the coordinates of your store! (if that’s allowed on this site!). I printed your message and this weekend I'll try the installation, if I have a problem, I’ll get back to you.
                    P.S: For Norton, it was installed on my old PC running XP and I didn't have internet yet. So my youngest
                    son continues to use it like that, without internet.
                    For the purchase of my eldest’s PC (we're waiting for the results of the bac!), do you recommend buying an antivirus, and if so which one, otherwise
                    I’ll do the same as I did for myself (antivir + spy bot?). All my thanks accompanied by a beautiful ray of sunshine from the North.
                    1
                    1. Hello and THANK YOU, micro.38, indeed all your information is accurate! GData is too strict and very complicated for a simple user. Regarding support, over the phone, I encountered a " consultant" who didn't understand my French! (sic) Despite having excellent English skills, I found it very difficult to understand his mix of Franco-Anglo-Germano-Spanish! In short, I did what he asked me to do, and bam, within 12 hours I picked up 24 viruses and trojans. I can't access the ambulance, message: connection impossible for the moment. The problem is that this "moment" has lasted for almost 2 months! GData has quarantined everything, without any distinction, and no way to fix it. Email support? "" It's not us, it's the computer "" Bad luck, a high-performance computer bought at the same time as the antivirus. So it’s Vista! After all the checks performed, they blame it on Orange internet, (old live box incompatible with GData) again bad luck, Orange purchased with the computer too! So now, I need to uncheck this, this, and this. Of course my dear, and I'm just going to catch more nasties. In short, just a bunch of headaches! To all the regulars on the forum, I say to think carefully before installing GData. I regret my €70 (+ €17 in calls to support)! My good old Norton still works on my 2nd PC with XP! Only an expert from Orange, Jean-Luc, was able to give me serious advice and he was clear, GData CANNOT BE USED IN HIGH CONFIGURATION WITH ORANGE INTERNET! After a call lasting 1 hour and 52 minutes, he managed to make my Orange messaging work by taking control of my PC from the support center! Finally, someone competent. On this subject, micro38, without abusing your time and kindness, can you tell me if Antivir and Spybot also work well on Vista? Additionally, the expert also recommended Avast and Googled doctor, what do you think? Thank you for responding and good luck!
                      1
                      1. First of all, if you had bought at Micro38, you wouldn't have had Vista (the first virus). Just kidding (though maybe not) ;)
                        But I can't advise you to keep Norton. Norton is the laughing stock of all the IT professionals I know, and if one of my former colleagues passes by here and sees that I recommended Norton to someone, I'll be teased for life.
                        Seriously now, Norton is one of the worst marketing scams I know, and no one who's somewhat knowledgeable about PC security will recommend it to you.
                        For my clients, regular individuals with basic needs (internet, photos, msn, openoffice, games, thunderbird, etc.), I generally set up:
                        antivirus + spybot properly configured. Be careful, the "properly" is not trivial, because spybot, if not controlled, is useless, but when used well, I think it's the best anti-spyware.
                        You need to enable the "advanced" setting, and check the boxes allowing spybot to:
                        search for updates automatically
                        download them if available
                        vaccinate without asking
                        search for pests
                        fix the pests found
                        close at the end

                        You also need to schedule it weekly, and remember to modify the scheduled task to set it up correctly every Monday (for example), with a user account that has rights on the computer (an admin account)

                        I have clients who have had this setup for months, and honestly, every time I stop by to check (with a bootable G Data CD for example), I find the PC spotless!

                        On the other hand, those who disable spybot or forget to run it, and leave it like that for a few months, inevitably end up calling me back, their PC packed with Trojans and other spywares...
                        0
                      2. @Profile blockedI specify that as a professional, I install Spybot for my clients, and I occasionally contribute to its site with a donation. We need to stay consistent; if we want an excellent alternative to the big IT merchants to still exist, we shouldn't abuse the small free ones.

                        Open Office
                        Firefox
                        Thunderbird
                        Ubuntu
                        Spybot
                        Pidgin
                        Gimp
                        deserve that we give them something from time to time, and that we promote them, because the day there are only MS and Adobe in the software world, your license costs will explode... But it will be too late to complain...
                        0
                      3. @Profile blockedHELLO, as your advice seems excellent, I installed Antivir + Spybot, but in addition, I added: Kerio + Lavasoft Ad-Aware + CCleaner. Are these 3 additions useful??????? You seem very competent to give me an informed answer. As far as I'm concerned, I am better at DIY than at IT. Thank you in advance @+ Best regards
                        Marcellinois 42
                        0
                      4. @marcellinois42Hello.
                        There's no point in adding Ad-Aware, which is not effective at all.
                        Kerio, if it's the firewall, is good.
                        0
                      5. @marcellinois42Completely agree with td947, Ad-Aware is useless. Kerio's firewall is very good, but there is already one in XP, and another in your router, in general. So it burdens the machine AND your network, it really needs to be justified... it's up to you to judge.
                        CCleaner, I'm a fan. Used on hundreds of PCs, without any bugs. It's an achievement...

                        Franck at Micro38.com
                        0
                    2. G Data is the most powerful antivirus I have tested.

                      But it is also the heaviest; many of my clients had to switch to another, more "light" solution. Otherwise, you have to disable one of the two engines of this software, which defeats the purpose.

                      Moreover, there is no French support, and yet this software has some very serious bugs!
                      (For example, we should be able to specify that a file should be ignored (in the exceptions). But it ignores this, putting it in quarantine instead. There should be an "online rescue tool" that allows you to tell it to restore this file, that it is not dangerous... but the rescue tool crashes miserably every time.
                      As a result, the program it wrongly suspects is unusable, even though it is perfectly valid.
                      In my case, because of G Data, I have to reinstall UltraVNC every few mornings...

                      In short, I'm ditching G Data and going back to Antivir: simple, free, effective, with Spy Bot (well-configured and automated, Spybot is great. I even made a donation on the Spybot site, which rarely happens to me :) (no, I'm not stingy) ;)

                      Franck, from micro38
                      1
                      1. Bonjour, j'ai acheté GData Antivirus Plus Firewall 2008 parce qu'au niveau de la détection et du blocage des virus, il est irréprochable ! Mais voilà, depuis son installation, j'ai un problème avec mes messageries (Hotmail, Orange, Tagged). Il me bloque l'accès et je ne peux plus lire mes messages ! C'est peut-être un problème de paramétrage de l'antivirus ! Quelqu'un peut-il m'aider à résoudre ce problème, s'il vous plaît ? Merci...
                        0
                        1. Good evening everyone. Personally, I had Kaspersky Internet Security 7, and then during various comparisons, G Data Total Care 2008 came out on top, while KIS 7 was behind. I've had it for 3 days now, and I haven't had any problems so far. I recommend first adding the G Data web filter bar to your browser and then clicking on each option on this bar to activate or deactivate it. Do not block JavaScript, VBScript, Flash images, and block phishing and pop-up banners. This is how I configured the bar, so I have no navigation issues or page loading problems. You should also add the visited URL to the whitelist, which is the last square on the tools bar.
                          For example, type "google" and then click on the last square and choose "add to whitelist" and so on.
                          There have been no issues with updating the internet filter or the software.
                          I am on Windows XP SP3.
                          0
                        2. Hello Djo,

                          if you have the "parental control" function on G-Data then disable it. Or the xeb/page/web blocking function, disable that too. I once had this kind of problem with Bitdefender so you know what you have to do... Otherwise, check that you have enough RAM memory to avoid slowing down your pages.

                          I've heard a lot about G-Data and I must say that I might consider getting it (but it's still too expensive for my wallet).

                          Ciao, ciao
                          0
                      2. Bonjour, depuis que j'ai G Data Internet Security, il m'empêche d'écouter certaines radios en direct. Comment puis-je le débloquer ? Je vous en remercie.
                        0
                        1. Hello,
                          I have XP SP2 and GData Internet Security 2007.
                          I downloaded the 2008 update.

                          Sorry for my question that may seem "silly":
                          How do I install the 2008 version when my PC has the 2007 version?
                          When I double-click the GDIS2008 executable, the G-Data installation wizard appears and asks me a question: "Another antivirus program is installed on your computer, Gdata Internet Security 2007. This product (version 2008) cannot be installed with the other antivirus. Click OK to uninstall the existing program."

                          What steps should I follow to properly uninstall version 2007 and correctly install version 2008?
                          How can I keep my settings, if necessary?
                          Should I disconnect from the internet?
                          Should I clean my registry? If so, how and when?

                          Thank you very much in advance for your forthcoming answers.
                          1
                          1. I solved the problem by taking K.I.S. version 6 with a license.

                            It's that simple.
                            0
                            1. It's simple: either your PC is not very powerful, or your hard drive is completely full, or you can adopt the solution from message 8, but you don't have to recheck the box.
                              I'm browsing without it.
                              3
                              1. Hello,
                                I had the same problem with system slowdowns.
                                I ran a complete scan of the computer, which took about 6 hours and 20 minutes, and it detected 4 viruses. After that, everything went back to normal...

                                See you!
                                1
                                • 1
                                • 2