Démarrer sur le réseau
Hello everyone.
I'm looking to start my personal PC - which is at home - from my workplace.
I've configured the BIOS of my AsRock motherboard by enabling the "PCI device on boot" function which, according to the manufacturer, corresponds to "Wake up Lan". In the network card, I enabled the "magic packets" and the other option to wake the PC from sleep or whatever it is.
I'm going through a router, so I got my IP from it.
I'm using the small program Wake on lan where I insert the IP, the MAC Address, the subnet mask, and I set port 7 or 9.
Unfortunately, there's no activity from my personal PC (I tested it on the laptop, not connected to the same network as my neighbor's Wi-Fi).
Can you help me?
Thanks in advance and have a good evening!
I'm looking to start my personal PC - which is at home - from my workplace.
I've configured the BIOS of my AsRock motherboard by enabling the "PCI device on boot" function which, according to the manufacturer, corresponds to "Wake up Lan". In the network card, I enabled the "magic packets" and the other option to wake the PC from sleep or whatever it is.
I'm going through a router, so I got my IP from it.
I'm using the small program Wake on lan where I insert the IP, the MAC Address, the subnet mask, and I set port 7 or 9.
Unfortunately, there's no activity from my personal PC (I tested it on the laptop, not connected to the same network as my neighbor's Wi-Fi).
Can you help me?
Thanks in advance and have a good evening!
5 answers
-
I did indeed make an exception in my firewall and in the router for ports 7 and 9, but I just realized that I redirected ports 7 and 9 in the router to the wrong place; I didn't point it to my PC!
Your site looks interesting; I will check it out later when I get home because, indeed, it's not working locally!
And when using the Wake on Lan monitor/sniffer, I get a 10048 error when I try to launch port 7 or 9!
My PC has a local IP of 192.168.1.100 on the router, obviously at 192.168.1.1, and my internet IP is something like 89.193..... So I need to forward ports 7 or 9 in UDP and TCP to the IP 192.168.1.100 in my router, right?-
> I need to forward port 7 or 9 in UDP and TCP on the IP 192.168.1.100 in my router then?
The best option is to redirect to 192.168.1.255 but not all routers necessarily allow redirections to the broadcast address... Perhaps you could consider changing the firmware to an alternative firmware (http://www.dd-wrt.com) that would provide more features...
Designating the IP of the machine is another possibility but it is significantly less effective because:
- this address can change if you have opted for dynamic IP allocation (DHCP)
- the router regularly purges its routing table: as a result, after a few minutes (variable delay) following the shutdown of the PC, it will no longer be "wakeable"...
Best regards,
damien/dipisoft.
-