/!\ Problem opening .exe files on XP /!\

Solved
Good evening. I have a very big problem, I can't open .exe files on Windows. I can open a few (by right-clicking, opening as...)
All of this comes from the fact that I wanted to modify the program to open an .exe (right-click properties on an .exe) and since I set an application, I can no longer open .exe files!!!
I'm on Windows XP.
Please help me... I would be grateful!
Configuration: Windows XP Internet Explorer 7.0

26 answers

  1. Hello, I managed to fix this issue a few days ago (but my computer had trouble opening the forum of comment ça marche...)
    I was able to fix the problem thanks to Jimmyb3's lead (thank you to him).
    I had to:
    1- Go to the control panel, then to options, folder options, file types
    2- New and enter .exe and click on advanced
    3- Advanced options: set to open with anything and click OK
    4- Go to the .exe extension in the list and restore it
    5- Run a file that repairs the registry: http://zaku22.ifrance.com/zaku22/fixreg.com

    And there you go, problem solved!
    3
    1. I can't find the restore button after selecting the EXE extension, please help me.
      0
    2. Same problem here, I think (every time I want to open a .exe, it asks me which program, when opening Internet Explorer, activate-deactivate the Windows firewall...)
      I have Windows Vista

      Step 1: I can't find file types; I'm offered general, display, search.

      Thanks
      0
    3. Moderator
      @fgHi,

      Try this (download and click on it): FixExe.reg
      --
      Help yourself and the helper will help you.
      -1
  2. Hello

    download this file: http://dhboost.info/exe.zip
    then extract the files, and click on the reg file, it should fix the registry keys that are no longer good.
    0
    1. Hello
      You can go to the control panel, then you can find the tip to fix your problem. Okay
      0
      1. I don't know if it works...
        http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
        Warning!! --> EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)
        --
        Sluger ;)
        0
        1. I am grateful Mr. Sluger! I have solved my problem! A thousand thanks!
          0
      2. Yes, it's actually the same thing as the "reg" file I sent you; it's not dangerous, you can go ahead without worry.
        0
        1. thank you for the confirmation :-))
          --
          Sluger ;)
          0
          1. Thank you, I'll give it a try!
            I'll let you know if it works tomorrow!
            0
            1. I'm sorry but it doesn't work...
              Any other idea? Please.
              0
              1. ah strange .. did you add the reg file?

                what exactly message do you get when you click on an exe?
                0
                1. It opens with the application I've designated to open .exe files (I tried to fix the registry, but there are no registry errors... that's what the registry fixer said).
                  I can't set the software that launches .exe files as the default...
                  If you don't understand, contact me on msn (it's easier to talk):
                  Here is my msn address: zaku22@hotmail.fr
                  0
                  1. Good evening, just do this

                    1 - Start your computer by tapping the F8 key
                    2 - In the advanced options menu, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt. (Don't worry, it takes a long time to load)
                    3 - Type these two commands:
                    ftype exefile="%1" %*
                    assoc .exe=exefile
                    --
                    "Love as a sword, humor as a shield" Bernard Werber
                    0
                    1. It doesn't work either, because my computer reboots every time I boot into command prompt in safe mode...
                      0
                      1. My computer doesn't have any registry issues, so where are the files related to the software that open ".something" files stored?

                        .exe (open with: ???)
                        0
                        1. Good evening, if your PC reboots, try running my commands in simple safe mode, you start, run, cmd, and you type the two lines indicated.
                          --
                          "Love as a sword, humor as a shield" Bernard Werber
                          0
                          1. Hello, let's go back to the beginning of the issue, explain a bit better the manipulation you did that triggered the problem.
                            --
                            "Love as a sword, humor as a shield" Bernard Werber
                            0
                            1. Explanation: I right-clicked on an .exe file and then clicked on 'Modify' on the location where you define the software to be used to open the file. I chose Notepad and clicked OK. Since then, I can no longer execute .exe files...
                              There you go.
                              0
                              1. Hello, if you can, try this
                                control panel
                                folder options
                                file types
                                check if you have EXE in the list, if so, remove the association
                                restart the PC

                                --
                                "Love as a sword, humor as a shield" Bernard Werber
                                0
                                1. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had the same problem and it was stressing me out too, but thanks to you I managed to fix my laptop... Thank you!
                                  0
                                  • 1
                                  • 2