Can you use a Windows USB key on Linux?

Hello

Windows 10 support (as you know) ends in October.

I have the desire to test Linux.

My question is in the subject.

Could I use my USB keys under Linux?

Thank you


0

4 answers

  1. Hello,

    Linux uses native-specific formats but recognizes FAT32, ExFAT and NTFS, for a data USB key or external drive the question does not arise.

    Obviously a Windows system external hard drive or a USB key like that (it's quite rare) will not be recognized.

    0
    1. And except, of course, if this data is in a proprietary format; assuming I’m using Microsoft Office on Windows, it will be necessary on the Linux side to install a third-party “software” to read that format.

      0
  2. Moderator

    Hi,

    Test with Ventoy beforehand, an Ubuntu ISO perhaps, or several ISOs on the USB stick.

    0
    1. Thank you for this information.

      I still need to educate myself about Linux to know whether I will not be too confused by this novelty (for me).


      0