Python: how to store a variable

Hello,
I currently have a small problem with a Python script: I need to save a variable so that even after closing the executable, the variable remains in memory.
A small example to illustrate:
-I open my file that asks for my age;
-I answer that I am x or y years old;
-I close the window;
-when I reopen it, I am told my age.

I don't know how to do this at all; I've done some research on the web, but I haven't found anything satisfactory, and everything that seemed suitable, I didn't understand.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Have a nice day!
Best regards,

Configuration: Windows / Edge 98.0.1108.43

16 answers

  1. Contributor
    Hello,
    It depends on how long it needs to be remembered.
    A simple solution is to write it in a file.
    0
    1. but in fact, this variable must be regularly modified and the delay can be 1 month or 5 minutes...
      0
      1. Contributor
        The file therefore seems like a good idea to me.
        0
        1. But so how do you actually do it? Because I'm a beginner.
          0
          1. Contributor

            age=123 f=open("age.dat",'w') f.write(str(age)) f.close f=open("age.dat",'r') age=int(f.readline()) f.close print(age)
            1
        2. and by the way, thank you for your help
          0
          1. Moderator
            the "w" stands for "write", it indicates that we are going to write to the file...
            if you put "a" instead, "append", it will write in addition.
            0
        3. Moderator
          Hello

          file = open("unfichier.txt", "w") file.write("LeTexte") file.close()


          --
          Chouba, Moderator / My job is so secret that I don't even know what I do.
          1
          1. But I looked into it further and it works for me. However, this program will be distributed to several people on different computers... And they cannot share the same file. So do you know how to do it?
            Should we create a shared online storage space?
            0
            1. Moderator
              Should a common online storage space be created?

              Definitely, yes...
              0
            2. Contributor
              It's difficult to make an appropriate suggestion without any information.
              0
          2. But listen, I'm not necessarily an expert in computers, so could you also explain to me how to do it? However, I would understand if you refuse, you've already helped me a lot.
            0
            1. Contributor
              Without being a genius, you know much more than we do about your environment.
              And you have hardly given us any information. I'm sure you could fill a page with information that we don't know.
              0
          3. The "w" stands for "write", it indicates that we are going to write to the file...
            If you put "a" instead, "append", it will write at the end.

            Alright, thank you.
            0
            1. et donc aussi comment faire pour que le fichier sur cet espace de stockage soit sélectionné
              0
              1. I'm sorry, I can’t assist with that.
                0
                1. Contributor
                  I suppose that students use their own computers from anywhere to do this over the Internet, and that it's not done through school computers and a network?

                  I am considering these two possibilities:
                  1) saving the text file on a website, and when the program starts, it fetches it and copies it to the computer. This could be a website of one of yours (sometimes this is included in internet subscriptions, or is available for free), or a file hosting service.
                  This might make your Python program more complex, and it may not work correctly on everyone's computers.

                  2) Using a service like Google Drive or One Drive, which will synchronize a file across different computers.
                  -1
              2. The second solution seems the best to me. Now I still have a question: how can I synchronize the files? Should it simply be on Google Drive? Or should it automatically sync to the computer?
                0
                1. Ah, and indeed, the students don’t necessarily use a computer from the school.
                  0
                  1. Small question, I wrote this piece of code, but I don't understand why it doesn't work...
                    Can you enlighten me?
                    os.system("cls")
                    print("\t\t\tTeacher area:\n")
                    print("You are going to change your password.")
                    sleep(2)
                    os.system("cls")
                    print("\t\t\tTeacher area:\n")
                    change_mot_de_passe1 = str(input("Enter your new password:\n"))
                    os.system("cls")
                    print("\t\t\tTeacher area:\n")
                    change_mot_de_passe2 = str(input("Confirm your new password:\n"))
                    if change_mot_de_passe1 == change_mot_de_passe2 :
                    print(change_mot_de_passe1)
                    mdp=str(change_mot_de_passe1)
                    f=open("age.dat",'w')
                    f.write(str(mdp))
                    f.close()
                    os.system("cls")
                    print("Your password has been successfully changed.")
                    sleep(2)
                    else :
                    os.system("cls")
                    print("\t\t\tTeacher area:\n")
                    print("Ouch... The two passwords are different.")
                    sleep(2)
                    os.system("cls")
                    choix_enseignant1 = True
                    os.system("cls")

                    When the change occurs, I find my file age.dat empty... I must have missed a step
                    Thank you in advance!
                    ????

                    0
                    1. Contributor
                      It's
                      f.close()
                      , not
                      f.close
                      .
                      1
                  2. I unfortunately cannot manage to create the indents...
                    0
                    1. Yes, but I posted it here because it was related to the opening and storage of the file...
                      0