At sign on Linux Ubuntu
Hello everyone, I am using Linux Ubuntu 9.4, and I have a problem: every time I need to write my email, I can't because I can't type the at symbol (using Alt Gr + 0 or even Ctrl + Alt + 0 ...) but the thing is that when I go to the guest session, there is no issue... I checked in System -> Preferences -> Keyboard, but everything is the same...
If you have ever had this problem or if you know how to solve it, I thank you for giving me the solution.
Configuration: Linux / Firefox 3.0.19
--
Best regards,
Nico.
If you have ever had this problem or if you know how to solve it, I thank you for giving me the solution.
Configuration: Linux / Firefox 3.0.19
--
Best regards,
Nico.
14 answers
-
joe brownYou need to go to modify a parameter under keyboard settings, then layout, then options, and finally you must select an option under key selecting level 3.
-
mamiemando ModeratorWell, and obviously you didn't rename those directories:
drwx------ 8 nico nico 4096 2010-05-11 16:22 .gnome2 drwxr-xr-x 16 nico nico 4096 2010-05-05 12:51 gnome2_old
Grrrrr.... If that's what happened... it's not surprising that we're going in circles.
sudo gdm stop mv /home/nico/.gnome2* /home/nico/vieux_profil sudo gdm start
Otherwise, another solution: create another user (for example nicolas), retrieve your documents in nicolas (and assign them to nicolas with a chown), then delete nico.-
nico33160 Author(j'ai installé la version 9.10 hier de Ubuntu, et je ne sais pas si cela change les choses à taper, mais quand je tape sudo gdm stop, je tombe toujours sur :
** (gdm-binary:3081): WARNING **: Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager
** (gdm-binary:3081): WARNING **: Could not acquire name; bailing out
Si tu comprends quelque chose, (donc ça me bloque pour mv /home/nico/.gnome2* ...... -
-
-
-
ender34The solution is simple: hold down AltGR while pressing CTRL once and then release CTRL, and finally press 0.
In fact, while observing the behavior of my keyboard in Ubuntu, I noticed that when I press the AltGR key, the CTRL key is also sent to the system, so unknowingly we are sending a combination of 3 keys: CTRL+AltGR+0 when only AltGr+0 is needed.
That's why, once the AltGR key is pressed, I press CTRL once to deactivate it! and then I press 0 which makes the at sign appear. Those who set this up are tricky!
-
-
-
nico33160 AuthorAlors, pour répondre, en mode texte je peux tout faire ... (les arobases ...) et, j'arrive jusqu'à
mv /home/nico/vieux_profil/.leprofil /home/nico
mais là, il me dit, mv ne peut pas évaluer home/nico/vieux_profil/.leprofil : aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type, il n'y aurait pas une erreur dans la ligne ?? -
-
-
-
nico33160 AuthorI no longer understand anything, when I type ls -al /home/nico, yesterday I had a long list displayed, and now it tells me no such file ... did I do something yesterday to make it work ... (if that's the case I don't know, so if you have an idea ...)
ps: I will regularly retest ls -al /home/nico so that I can find the report I saw yesterday ...
-
-
mamiemando ModeratorAnd it still doesn't work after renaming your gnome profile? Can you create another user, for example toto, and let me know if you have the same issue when logging in as toto:
sudo adduser toto
nico: you really need to tell me if you can type an @ in text mode (ctrl alt f1) because this has been several messages and until I get an answer to this question, it's hard to locate the issue. This would help determine if the problem comes from gnome or further down.
bob: I don't think it comes from the locales (which are used for fonts, encoding, and the default language as in man pages). I suspect the keyboard-setup package or an issue at the gnome level, but maybe I'm wrong.
Good luck-
bob031Hi,
I don't think it comes from the locales
I don't really believe it either, by the way your approach is ....... impeccable :-)
I was thinking about the locales just in case because it reminded me of an "old" problem.
ps: just a little remark about the env command which returns nothing, it's still suspicious...
Have a good evening.
:-) -
-
-
-
bob031Bonjour,
can you send us the result of these two commands:
env | grep LC_ cat /etc/profile | grep NLSPATH
thank you.
--
a penguin on the ice floe! -
mamiemando ModeratorSo I have things that display with ls -la /home/nico/.gnome*
If that's the case, it means you haven't managed to rename your gnome profile.
1) Log out of your gnome session after updating everything (either via synaptic or using the following commands):
sudo aptitude update sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
2) Press ctrl alt f1
3) Log in so that you have the command prompt:
nico@...:~$
3) Type exactly (respecting the case and not forgetting the ".", knowing that if the mv works it won't write anything):
mkdir /home/nico/profil_gnome_old mv /home/nico/.gnome* /home/nico/profil_gnome_old sudo service gdm restart
If after this it still doesn't work... I'm at a loss. I'm still waiting to know if the keyboard isn't working properly in text mode either.
Good luck! -
mamiemando ModeratorAh but maybe your profile has been moved or deleted?
If you don't see anything when you run a:
ls -la /home/nico/.gnome*
... then it should be fine. Otherwise rename them with a mv:
mv /home/nico/.gnome2 /home/nico/gnome2_old mv /home/nico/.gnome2_private /home/nico/gnome2_private_old
And normally if you restart gnome, it should regenerate a default gnome profile and the keyboard should work.
By the way, with the user nico when you are in text mode (ctrl alt f1) does the @ character work? Because maybe the problem comes from somewhere else (locales, keyboard-configuration...) even though it seems unlikely to me.
By any chance can you give me the result of the command:
locale
... in guest and in nico?
Good luck-
nico33160 AuthorSo I have things that show up with ls -la /home/nico/.gnome*
then, with local on nico I have:
LANG =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_CTYPE =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_NUMERIC =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_COLLATE =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_MONETARY =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_MESSAGES =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_PAPER =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_NAME =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_ADDRESS =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_TELEPHONE =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_MEASUREMENT =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_IDENTIFICATION =fr_fr.UTF -8
LC_ALL= -
-
-
QuelquunTo copy and paste in the console, select the text and press the scroll wheel on your mouse in your console ;)
-
mamiemando ModeratorBut does it only work in graphical mode or also in text mode with your user?
If it only works in graphical mode, it's probably your gnome profile that is causing the issue (so a gnome setting to correct).
That would make sense since you don't have the issue with another user.
And if that's the case, you must have made a mistake when messing with/renaming/deleting your gnome profile.
In text mode: ctrl alt f1: log in and run the commands:
mv /home/mando/.gnome2 /home/mando/gnome2_old sudo service gdm restart
By replacing mando with your login (the name you chose during installation and that appears at the beginning of the command prompt), for example mando in this example:
mando@silk:~$
Good luck. -
-
-
bob031Hello,
also check if there are any locale issues ....
https://forums.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich-9206831-linux-installation-de-locales
--
a penguin on the ice field! -
123Hello
copying and pasting can be done in a terminal
see you+ -
mamiemando ModeratorIf the "guest" session is another account in the Linux sense, then the problem comes from your user profile and not from the keyboard or the installation/configuration of Linux.
Now, you need to locate which part of the profile is being considered. If the problem occurs in graphical mode (ctrl alt f7) but not once logged in text mode (ctrl alt f1), it is likely your Gnome profile (in fact, I am pretty sure the problem comes from it).
Your Gnome profile is stored in the hidden directory ~/.gnome2 or a similar name. Start by saving it by typing in a terminal:
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/terminal
cp -r ~/.gnome2 ~/gnome2_old
If what follows does not work or does not suit you, it will be possible to go back by typing:
rm -rf ~/.gnome2 cp -r ~/gnome2_old ~/.gnome2
In one of these files, your keyboard is configured (and it differs, of course, from that of the guest account profile).
Then search for the culprit file in ~/.gnome2 and delete it (a file name that mentions keyboard?). Since I use KDE, I can't really tell you which file it is. Maybe a grep or find can help you (if we search layout, keyboard, or kbd?):
cd ~/.gnome2 find * | grep -i keyboard find * | grep -i layout grep -nri keybord * grep -nri layout * ...
Once the file is found, delete it with the rm command (in text mode after quitting Gnome, just to do it cleanly).
rm ~/.gnome2/the/file/to/delete
If you can't find it, you can operate in a less subtle way (but you will lose everything you have customized in Gnome, for example, the theme you chose, the way you organized your Gnome bars...). To do this, simply delete ~/.gnome2. Again, I encourage you to quit your Gnome session beforehand. Once logged in text mode, run the command:
rm -rf ~/.gnome2
... then log back in graphically. Gnome will then recreate a default profile.
Good luck