Hexadecimal addition

Solved
Hello,

I’d like to understand how to perform a hexadecimal addition

5 C 92
+ 6 A + 106
1 0 (carry)
0 C 6 198

F F 255
+ F F + 255
1 0 (carry)
1 F E 510

do I need to convert to binary to calculate

thank you

7 answers

  1. As in decimal, addition is performed digit by digit. If the result exceeds "F", we subtract "F" and propagate a carry of "1" to the next digit, toward the left.
    See http://ardenneaparis.free.fr/mesScripts/calBas16.htm
    where the "p+" button allows step-by-step addition.
    (the form below is a converter)
    25
    1. We subtract 16 and not ("F" which means 15)
      0
    2. I confirm that it is indeed 16 that must be subtracted, not 15 as hastily announced. More precisely, it is the value "base" that is subtracted, knowing that the script is supposed to perform calculations in bases 2 (binary), 3 (ternary or trinary), 8 (octal), 10 (decimal), and 16 ( hexadecimal).
      0