One or Multi?
Hello,
I’m a bit hesitant.
To manage my files which over time have been very poorly organized, even duplicated, I plan to use a third-party file manager.
I’m torn between one-commander and multi-commander.
Does anyone have opinions about either one?
Thanks.
2 answers
-
Moderator
Hello,
I know TotalCommander, but I don’t use it; if there were free alternatives that do the same thing, I would consider using them occasionally.
DoubleKiller to identify duplicates and to copy large amounts of data in one go, or Always overwrite, or Overwrite if different, or Always overwrite if different, or also are easier for me, even if they have fewer overall features. -
ContributorHello,
I occasionally use MultiCommander when I have copy operations over the network, but I must admit that out of laziness I more often open Windows File Explorer.
What I appreciate about MultiCommander is the ability to create customizable tabs and have them remembered, as well as the search function, also customizable, although slower and less efficient than Everything, which I use regularly.
On the other hand, there is, to my knowledge, no built-in comparison or duplicate search function; only specialized programs handle that automatically.
At the time I tested OneCommander, but I don’t remember what made me opt for the competitor. The difference that appears is the display of file contents, but that may not be the most important.
That said, as with cars, computers, or other products, tastes are quite eclectic, and since both applications are free, in my opinion the best approach is to test them according to your priorities.-
Hello,
It must be possible to exclude the backup partition if there is one (duplicates are normal) and the situation becomes more complicated if, besides it, there are several partitions on the disk, unless you specify in each section the search folder, which means we know in advance where the duplicates are.
In any case, there will notably be normal duplicates in system files (log files, language files, driver-related files, etc.), and sorting will be complicated if you do not specify the extension of the duplicate to search for (jpg, docx...): if the duplicated files have the same name, Windows Explorer suffices, otherwise Everything also suffices and will return in pairs (or more) not only the names but also identical sizes or dates.
In short, using specialized software seems to quickly reach its limits.
-