Unable to open the Prefetch file

Hello, I'm here because it's the only site where I think I can ask for help. I've been experiencing lag on my computer for a while now, like some really nasty lag spikes, and since these lag spikes, I can't access the Prefetch folder. I can empty it with an unlocker type software, and after I've emptied it, I can open it. However, it only takes one day for it to be blocked again. I've installed a lot of things that I shouldn't have, so I suspect a virus; I know I'm being foolish. If you can help me analyze my computer, I would be thrilled. I've already had to reset my computer because I had Dark Comet on it due to a stupid mistake made to steal an account in a game. After that, I formatted my hard drive and reset everything, and since then, no more problems. Anyway, I have doubts about the nature of the lag spikes and not being able to open the Prefetch. Thanks, I'm open to any solutions...

4 answers

  1. Hello

    Prefetching is the least of your worries, it's even useful on older configurations

    It's better to sort out the applications that unnecessarily launch at startup

    1
    1. Hello

      Be careful if you really want to modify this kind of files; you take full responsibility. It's up to you to back up your data in case you need to reinstall if something goes wrong. But I see you have a bit of experience.

      https://fr.technology-news-hub.com/3141-how-to-view-contents-of-prefetch-file

      1
      1. Hello,

        I don't see the point in tackling the Prefetch folder; it’s really small, unless we really want to play Mr. Clean (it doesn't necessarily remove references to uninstalled programs).

        But even if it's pointless, technically nothing stands in the way except that it will be recreated every time an application is launched unless we intervene on the registry accordingly.

        0
      2. Okay, thanks, I already made a backup of the important things on an external hard drive just in case.

        0
    2. Moderator

      Hello.

      To check if it's an infection:

      Download FRST and once downloaded save it on the desktop, then right-click on FRST and select Run as administrator, you will see this:

      Wait for the message the tool is ready to work to appear, then click on Analyze.


      Be careful, wait for the messages indicating that the scan is complete to appear.

      At the end of the scan, you will have two text files on the desktop FRST and Addition.

      Then send the FRST and ADDITION reports to https://pjjoint.malekal.com/ and provide the two links generated by https://pjjoint.malekal.com/ in your response.


      bazfile
      Moderator/Security Contributor.
      A hello, a response, a thank you are always appreciated.

      0
      1. I don't know where to send my reply, but I answered you in the responses to my question. Have a good day and thank you.

        0
    3. Good morning again, thank you for the quick response, here are the two links.

      addition: https://pjjoint.malekal.com/files.php?id=20230818_c14d9n11f7e15

      FRST: https://pjjoint.malekal.com/files.php?id=20230818_n7v9d10f6l15

      0
      1. @bazfile

        Thank you very much, have a good evening.

        0